• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil black containers and soil temps in the sun

Hi guys, I have a bunch of 3 gallon containes which are black and even indoor with some sun hitting the container in the window, the plastic gets unbelievably hot. Wouldnt this be a bad thing once they go outside? Would it make sense to wrap some foil around the containers to reflect the sun to keep the temps down?

Black pots are great in our cooler climate but probably not so good in warmer places
They always work excellent for me

Get some old white pillow cases, cut open the closed end, and set your pots inside of them. You can hold them up with some of the rubber band type things made for small garbage cans. This should give you a good heat reduction in the pots for a minimum amount of work.

Alan

Mister_Al said:
Get some old white pillow cases, cut open the closed end, and set your pots inside of them. You can hold them up with some of the rubber band type things made for small garbage cans. This should give you a good heat reduction in the pots for a minimum amount of work.

Alan

That is a good idea and seems pretty simple too. Heck even if I dont have old pillow cases, I bet I can probably find some at the dollar store. If that doesnt work, I'd assume the foil will work too but I think that will be more work...

POTAWIE said:
Black pots are great in our cooler climate but probably not so good in warmer places
They always work excellent for me

I dont know. I'm not that far from you and even indoors, teh temps on those pots were real high. At least hot to the touch....maybe the temperature on the inside was not any different but it made me nervous.

I believe my plants in black pots grow better than ones in orange or green pots but they also usually need more frequent watering

All my pots are black nursery pots and even in the most intense heat of the summer ive never had any problems.
I just have to make sure that if they dry out I get them some water the same day or they start to wilt badly.
As Ive noticed since this winter has passed, my plants really did better during the hottest time of the year here.

POTAWIE said:
I believe my plants in black pots grow better than ones in orange or green pots but they also usually need more frequent watering

Snap! (and that's in the African sun) Actually my grow-bagged plants all produced fruit faster than the grounded ones...!

Back