• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Bhut Bih or Naga?

The first pepper I tried to grow was a Bhut Jolokia. Ordered it from Hirt's Gardens and it got too hot over the weekend (I'm growing at work) and dried out and died.

I tried to re-order but they were out of Bhut Jolokias, so I gotta Naga Morich (two actually) instead and have been growing those at work. Both are doing great.

Now, here's the thing I'm confused about. According to wikipedia and the casual observer, Bhut Jolokia, Bih Jolokia, and Naga Morich are just different names for the same pepper. The super hot world record holder pepper from Assam India. In India they call it the "Bhut Jolokia" or "Bih Jolokia" and in Bangladesh they call it the "Naga Morich." Or so it goes.

I notice that people more illuminated in the ways of peppers talk about these names as three distinct varieties of peppers.

So this is my question: What's the difference? Originating region? Plant height? Fruit size? Hotness? Taste?

I know that the Dorset Naga is a variety that was developed in the UK from the original Indian pepper, and understand why this one is called out separately from the others. Can someone more in the know than myself shed a little light on this for us budding (heh!) pepper heads?

JungleRain said:
Your've got some great plants there Big T, how big are they?

The 3 biggest, in 7 gallon containers, 1 each of Dorset, Bhut and Bih, are almost 3 feet tall less the 10 inch soil height. I have a few Bhuts and Dorsets in 5 gallons that are somewhat smaller. I'm going to be drying most of these pods for powder.

Back