• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

preservation Best vinegar for hotsauce?

Vinegar tends to be more acidic than lemon juice. I use a mix of 30% white wine vinegar and 70% cider vinegar in my sauces - they even each other out and give a nice mix of sharp/smoothe. But like SS said, it's up to you - they're your taste buds.

personally i like cider vinegar, but ordinary distilled vinegar might be ok if you adjust the sugar content.it all depends on your own tastebuds & maybe trying different options.

I prefer white wine vinegar, but I also use it with lime juice &/or other citric acid fruits. red wine vinegar adds a really sweet taste to the sauce.
your basic white distilled vinegar is nasty! I refuse to use the stuff anymore! (for hot sauce)

i tend to use white wine or cider but if i had to pick one i use more it would be cider can't say i notice that much difference, might do 2 batches one of each and do a comparison.
if you want a sweeter vinegar try white balsamic.
but in the end it's all down to what your taste buds tell you so experiment a little

I've got too favorite vinegars! However I prefer to keep them as a secret ingredient, and if I did a sauce commercially, it would just say vinegar. That's how good these two are.

Trying to get this topic back towards the "top of the pile," now that people are starting to get harvests in. This sub forum should start jumpin' here soon :party:

I, personally, haven't tried many different vinegars, myself (to date). Probably only traditional white distilled, rice, and white wine. Only time I've ever used ACV is in BBQ sauce, but I'd like to start experimenting with it in hot sauces

Anyway, I picked these up at the store yesterday. Would've grabbed a few more, but I was cringing, just at the thought of spending $30 on these 3 bottles :shocked:

IMG_7225.JPG

Not even 100% sure how I'm going to use them yet. The white balsamic will probably go into some kind of fruit based, dessert (maybe BBQ glaze) style of sauce. The mango one will probably go into a mango habanero style BBQ sauce (maybe w/ some ACV too). Still not sure about the champagne one

MikeUSMC said:
Been almost a decade..... care to let the cat out of the bag yet? ;)

Man I hate old finding old typos... that's TWO, and KNOW (aka NO!) :lol: j/k

Not sure... cane vinegar is great, it's similar to white vinegar but less harsh and very well rounded, although white distilled is great too especially for tangy wing sauces... but cane is a great all-purpose.
For more flavor profile I'd say the filipino cooked version of cane vinegar (sukang iloco) which turns it a molasses color, loaded with flavor, excellent for dipping sauce or adding that profile to hot sauce/bbq sauce... also Steen's of Louisiana makes one.

dragonsfire said:
Well my Latest experiment making Coffee Vinegar has become my new Favorite, got 4gall brewing right now.
Nice! Are you using any of that for sauce? I could see that pairing well with guajillos or something like that

Here's one of the secrets. When hot sauce started to become popular with tons of habanero sauces, a lot were co-packed in the Caribbean, in Colombia and other places. This was because the factories were set up with the habanero mash, which was prevalent, and also mash vs. fresh means consistency. If you read the ingredients of a lot of these sauces it was made with cane vinegar, which is also prevalent there. Hard to get here. Here is one: http://www.jamaicanproducts.com/carib-cane-vinegar/

...Let me brush off all the cobwebs getting into this thread.... :Lol:...

When Evan started experimenting making sauces, I lined up every vinegar I had at the time (I think there was about a dozen) and we tasted every one. He was able to choose different vinegars for different sauces. It's a great way to accentuate the flavor profiles of sauces.

Plus I had fun watching him make those sour-lemon faces. :Lol:

The Hot Pepper said:

Man I hate old finding old typos... that's TWO, and KNOW (aka NO!) :lol: j/k

Boy it sure word be nice to be able to edit old posts!!!!

Oh, wait,.....That little title of "admin" ....Yea, Da Boss can do that.

:mope:

Back