• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting Best type of lighting set ups

Im looking to expand my grow significantly next year. Can anyone recommend what to shoot for in terms of lighting for seedlings. What type of light is best suited for seedlings/early plant stages. Thanks

That depends on how large-scale your operation is. I, for example, mainly use fluorescent tubes, but that's because I'm growing a lot of seedlings and only to a certain size indoors. high-output tubes will get you more growth, but if it's size you're aiming for and not quantity, HID bulbs are for you.

Im looking to expand my grow significantly next year. Can anyone recommend what to shoot for in terms of lighting for seedlings. What type of light is best suited for seedlings/early plant stages. Thanks

I'd reccommend using flourcents, the (T8) type, I've been using them for quite some time now with seedlings thru small plants, and have great success, you can either check out a lighting supply or a big box store, high bay fixtures are becoming more reasonable and you can find 4 and 6 bulb 4ft fixtures, bulbs are readily available and inexpensive. I don't have any (T5)fixtures, although some people swear at, I mean swear by them.

Good luck ...and when your settled post some photos

I would recommend T8 bulbs for the price and how common they are at the hardware store. They penetrate a wee bit better than the fatty t12's that have to be right on the plants to work for seedlings.

I've read they are doing away with T12's July 2012, and conversion kits will be used to convert to t8.
Would say a 4 bulb, 4ft, warm-white t8 would work good, or the same in T12 then convert to T8 if the stop manufacturing the T12 bulbs.
You could build a something like this, but it fit fewer plants. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs_QRorECvo

I second the T-8's I haven't used one, but gonna pic this up soon...
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202193185/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
I was lookin and they had 40 watt, but plenty of 32's in different colors, and they were 10 bucks a box for 5 I think.
On display it puts the others to shame, It;s like staring at the sun...

I've read they are doing away with T12's July 2012, and conversion kits will be used to convert to t8.
Would say a 4 bulb, 4ft, warm-white t8 would work good, or the same in T12 then convert to T8 if the stop manufacturing the T12 bulbs.
You could build a something like this, but it fit fewer plants.

We've been on an ongoing project for the last 2 yrs. changing all the old t12's out through all the Municipalities through-out the City of Chicago, T12's will soon be history, all the newer t8's come with rapid electronic ballasts, I'd HIGHLY suggest an upgrade real soon , plus with the T8's the bulb spacing is generally closer, more bang for the buck.

Your looking at a 34w bulb, times the size of the fixture, 2,4,6, bulb layout, pretty in expensive at the local Big Box stores.

I'd recommend using the 6500k bulbs for your seedlings, thru early plant stage....heck I've used that temperature bulb thru the entire indoor grow.

Keep doing some research and good luck on next seasons grow...

70 bucks with a warranty, from a local picup with no shipping, I think it's a great buy... I can wire a whip, but ...

You can wire a whip...
make sure to run 3/wire, ballast likes the ground or...

Buy a 3 prong/cable comes in 3,6,9ft lengths, bare wire end, a 3/8" bx connector, wire nuts....

puts together in 10 min...

if you want to give your plants more light than what the T-8s can give in the given area...check out some 42 watt (150 Eq) CFLs...the 2700K bulbs are cheap...the 6500K bulbs are about $10 each...I have 18 CFLs (nine 2700K and 9 6500K) in a 16 ft[sup]2[/sup] grow box....

lights off
010511a001.jpg

lights on
010511a002.jpg

if you want to give your plants more light than what the T-8s can give in the given area...check out some 42 watt (150 Eq) CFLs...the 2700K bulbs are cheap...the 6500K bulbs are about $10 each...I have 18 CFLs (nine 2700K and 9 6500K) in a 16 ft[sup]2[/sup] grow box....

lights off
010511a001.jpg

lights on
010511a002.jpg

Nice work...AJ.............seriously, I have alot of different types of dough culture in the house, I bake all types of breads and pizza doughs, mostly in the winter, and I've brought dough containers into the plant room to speed up the rising process and it works, the average temp when all the lights are running is about 80+ degrees, perfect temp for the dough
But looking at the set-up you have could probably bake the bread :lol: ........just kidding.....it looks great!

Back