• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Best Soil PH and NPK for Bhut Jolokia

I'm new to growing as expressed in other post, would like to know from others experience "what is the best PH and (NPk) Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Potassiam combo for Bhut Jolokia?

Hey there...

Peppers like their soil to be a little acidic, somewhere in between 5 and 6 will be ok.
The NPK (potassium is often marked as K) is a little less simple... Nitrogen is required in higher amounts than P & K by plants in vegetative growth while phosphorus and particularly potassium are more important during flowering/fruiting.
There is a fertilizer specified (apparently) to peppers called 'Chilli Focus' which is 2.98 0.4 3.6 but I think a two or three step approach will always be better when growing anything.
Personally I like good ol' horse/chicken manure &/or worm castings and then supplementing with suitable liquid fertilizers along the way.

EDIT:
If you want a good read about manures and soil, have a look for Pepper-guru's grow log, he has some great info there.

Hey there...

Peppers like their soil to be a little acidic, somewhere in between 5 and 6 will be ok.
The NPK (potassium is often marked as K) is a little less simple... Nitrogen is required in higher amounts than P & K by plants in vegetative growth while phosphorus and particularly potassium are more important during flowering/fruiting.
There is a fertilizer specified (apparently) to peppers called 'Chilli Focus' which is 2.98 0.4 3.6 but I think a two or three step approach will always be better when growing anything.
Personally I like good ol' horse/chicken manure &/or worm castings and then supplementing with suitable liquid fertilizers along the way.

EDIT:
If you want a good read about manures and soil, have a look for Pepper-guru's grow log, he has some great info there.

Thanks, and I made the correction to title seeing i am new to this. Also do you have a link to the write up.

Here ya go :)

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/21940-gurus-18-acre-fabriculture-5-yr-mothers/page__st__100

It's a few posts down on that page... a big read... but well worth checking out.

I have had amazing results with a pH of 5.8. As far as NPK, the plant gives off 3-1-2 if you do chromatography on it, but have had great results with Maxibloom, which is 5-15-14.

This link recommends about 3-1-5 NPK for chiles. http://www.agnet.org/library/eb/441/

For pH...about 6.5 for soil. Lower for soilless mixes.

http://www.avocadosource.com/tools/FertCalc_files/pH_file/pH.jpg[/img]
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_iquA4A5fnNA/SyCaiynJc-I/AAAAAAAAAas/WqO9cskjj7g/phChart.jpg[/img]

I thought you were growing in pots? So by "soil", do you actually mean soil, or potting mix?

This link recommends about 3-1-5 NPK for chiles. http://www.agnet.org/library/eb/441/

Actually the specific wording is "According to the data on nutrient uptake from different studies, to produce one ton of fresh fruit, plants need to absorb....3 - 3.5 kg N, 0.7 - 1 kg P and 5 - 6 kg K in the case of chili or bell pepper" So I think some math needs to be done to convert that N-P-K, since the P and K in NPK are for weights of P2O5 and K2O, not elemental P and K.

Using the lower numbers...

3 kg N= 3 kg N
0.7 kg P/0.44= 1.6 kg P205
5 kg K/0.83= 6.0 K20

That comes out to an NPK of 3/1.6/6.0, or about 1.0/0.5/2.0, if I did the maths correctly. Of course, what the plant needs is not necessarily the same as what you need to apply, because it depends on what's already in the soil. And the needs of the plant change throughout it's growth cycle as well.

Other interesting things from that link...

In the case of pepper, dry matter production continues to the end of the life cycle (Hegde 1987a). Growth in terms of dry matter production is very slow until 30 DAT. It then picks up between 45 and 105 DAT, later slowing down, mainly due to a reduction in leaf dry matter from leaf fall. In this crop also, nutrient uptake and dry matter production are closely related. Around 5, 35 - 40, 75 - 80 and 90% of total nutrient uptake was achieved by 30, 60, 90 and 105 DAT. Thus, about 40% of nutrient uptake takes place during a period of 30 days, between 60 and 90 DAT (Hegde, unpublished data).

Split Applications

Application of N in four splits at 30-day intervals has been recommended by Singh et al. (1988) to achieve maximum yields and profits in chili production. Subhani et al. (1990) obtained the highest yield of chili when both N and K were applied in four splits at planting, 30, 60 and 90 DAT.

Slow-Release Fertilizers

Slow-release fertilizers hold great promise for the production of solanaceous vegetables such as eggplant and tomato. Gezerel and Donmez (1988) compared slow-release fertilizer (Plantacote) and conventional fertilizers at 100:80:90:30 kg/ha NPKMg. They found that slow-release fertilizers produced 92 mt/ha of tomato, compared to only 42 mt/ha when ordinary commercial fertilizers were used.

Back