soil Best cheap soil(or mixture) from retail stores for containers?

solid7 said:

Cheapest peat.  It's gonna be the same stuff that any bagged mix will charge you extra for.
Suggest that you try to find this, for compost: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Just-Natural-0-75-cu-ft-Compost/3426612
No, not just any kind of mulch.  Leaves, grass, hay, are my top recommendations.  All of which you'll have some sort of easy access to.  Pile it thick.  I just dressed my raised beds today.  I piled the weed mowings from my yard in there, between 5 and 7" thick.  For a container, I suggest about 3".  When you're ready to add fertilizer - if you end up needing to do that in a regular growing season - just peel back the mulch, add it, fold it back over into place.

Unfortunately it looks like that compost is not available instore. But I'll look anyways and at Home Depot.

We need straw anyways so I can grab some extremely cheap at the Home Depot.

That actually makes me need to ask, when does the fish go in? Is it like a once every week thing or not?

I'm pretty sure I got a plan. I'm going to take a look a bit later and list it all. If it looks good, I'll pick everything up tomorrow.

mattbhm said:

Unfortunately it looks like that compost is not available instore. But I'll look anyways and at Home Depot.

We need straw anyways so I can grab some extremely cheap at the Home Depot.

That actually makes me need to ask, when does the fish go in? Is it like a once every week thing or not?

I'm pretty sure I got a plan. I'm going to take a look a bit later and list it all. If it looks good, I'll pick everything up tomorrow.

My list of mulches didn't have straw in it.  You're free to use what you like but straw doesn't work the same way as the items in my list.  Everything that I listed is meant to break down into your mix, over time, and produce a specific effect.  Straw will keep your plant roots cool, and reduce evaporation, but that's it.
Fish is once a week, for me.  Works a lot better when you've got leaves, grass, or hay over the top of it. ;)

solid7 said:

My list of mulches didn't have straw in it.  You're free to use what you like but straw doesn't work the same way as the items in my list.  Everything that I listed is meant to break down into your mix, over time, and produce a specific effect.  Straw will keep your plant roots cool, and reduce evaporation, but that's it.
Fish is once a week, for me.  Works a lot better when you've got leaves, grass, or hay over the top of it. ;)

I getcha, hay not straw. I see straw used all the time so assumed.

What kind of hay exactly? Honestly I'm not sure. We raised dairy goats so I know a lot of hay.

Will do once a week. Can that start immediately? Even though they're still small?

mattbhm said:

I getcha, hay not straw. I see straw used all the time so assumed.

What kind of hay exactly? Honestly I'm not sure. We raised dairy goats so I know a lot of hay.

Will do once a week. Can that start immediately? Even though they're still small?

Just any old kind of alfalfa hay.  That stuff has great plant growth hormones, so if you're not a stranger to the farm and feed store, it's always my first pick.
You can use fish fert at low doses, beginning with 2 sets of true leaves.  I'd start full strength (fish juice) when plants are about 5-8" tall.    
Past years, the same basic system that i'm pitching to you...
14077030113_47ddfc9044_z.jpg

14057438764_1783a4cbb2_z.jpg

14077021903_fde3dc48d7_z.jpg

14053762921_74105fc12f_z.jpg

mattbhm said:
I was told to use 1/3 potting mix, sand and compost/manure.

It should be coarse sand. The idea is it should loosen and aerate the medium, and give better drainage. Fine sand will do the opposite. Sand in general doesn't retain water and nutrients well, though, so perlite would be preferred, as mentioned.

solid7 said:
Just any old kind of alfalfa hay.  That stuff has great plant growth hormones, so if you're not a stranger to the farm and feed store, it's always my first pick.
You can use fish fert at low doses, beginning with 2 sets of true leaves.  I'd start full strength (fish juice) when plants are about 5-8" tall.    
Past years, the same basic system that i'm pitching to you...
14077030113_47ddfc9044_z.jpg

14057438764_1783a4cbb2_z.jpg

14077021903_fde3dc48d7_z.jpg

14053762921_74105fc12f_z.jpg

Sounds great.. Abs great looking peppers too. After looking, I guess my last question is, is perlite just perlite? Or better, would this extremely cheap Perlite work? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-2-cu-ft-Perlite-Soil-Amendment-100521091/205655210

bongcloud said:
It should be coarse sand. The idea is it should loosen and aerate the medium, and give better drainage. Fine sand will do the opposite. Sand in general doesn't retain water and nutrients well, though, so perlite would be preferred, as mentioned.
Will do, thanks for the info.

mattbhm said:

Sounds great.. Abs great looking peppers too. After looking, I guess my last question is, is perlite just perlite? Or better, would this extremely cheap Perlite work? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-2-cu-ft-Perlite-Soil-Amendment-100521091/205655210

Will do, thanks for the info.

That perlite works just fine.  Although, I will say that I checked with my local nurseries, and ended up finding a 4 cu ft bag for just over $20.   Stick with nursery grade, though.  Be careful not to buy the horticultural grade. (it's super fine)
You don't need any perlite that has additives or fertilizer. (that's a marketing scheme)

solid7 said:
That perlite works just fine.  Although, I will say that I checked with my local nurseries, and ended up finding a 4 cu ft bag for just over $20.   Stick with nursery grade, though.  Be careful not to buy the horticultural grade. (it's super fine)
You don't need any perlite that has additives or fertilizer. (that's a marketing scheme)
I'll try and look at a couple nurseries but honestly all the local nurseries are very small and expensive. We don't have many big everything nurseries local.

When I buy all of this, can I use straight measurements in how much I need or does it need more? Like 1 cu ft is about 30qts. So like 7 gallons. I need 10ish for 5 5 gallon buckets? Same with peat, just direct measurements?

mattbhm said:
I'll try and look at a couple nurseries but honestly all the local nurseries are very small and expensive. We don't have many big everything nurseries local.

When I buy all of this, can I use straight measurements in how much I need or does it need more? Like 1 cu ft is about 30qts. So like 7 gallons. I need 10ish for 5 5 gallon buckets? Same with peat, just direct measurements?

Don't let it fool you, though.  I bought my big bag at a very expensive nursery.  But that is a wholesale unit, and they don't really sell a lot of those.  Like any place, they have their key items that they make their money on, and perlite probably isn't the high driver.  YOu'll have to specifically ask...  No guarantees, but you never know, right?  4 cu ft will put you in business for a very long time.
When you mix your mix, you just measure everything out by volume.  I find it helpful to mix small batches, and to do this, I use a #1 (or commonly erroneously called "1 gallon") nursery pot.  Everything is mixed by "parts", and a part can be anything you want it to be, so long as you use it consistently.  Meaning, your 1 part can be bean can, or it can be a dump truck.
Simpling it up even further - this skews the ratio just slightly, but still produces a very useable mix, that's still in the ball park:
7 parts peat
3 parts perlite
1 part compost
I mix mine by hand, but you can do it any way you have at your disposal.  Just make sure that it's REALLY well mixed.  I will tell you in advance, running your hands through a beautiful growing mix is an almost spiritual experience. :D

Also, lightly spray it with water as you're mixing it.  DO NOT bog it down with wetness.  Just wet it lightly.  Don't forget to add your fertilizer in there. (if you get the organic - don't do that with regular slow release fertilizer)

solid7 said:

Don't let it fool you, though.  I bought my big bag at a very expensive nursery.  But that is a wholesale unit, and they don't really sell a lot of those.  Like any place, they have their key items that they make their money on, and perlite probably isn't the high driver.  YOu'll have to specifically ask...  No guarantees, but you never know, right?  4 cu ft will put you in business for a very long time.
When you mix your mix, you just measure everything out by volume.  I find it helpful to mix small batches, and to do this, I use a #1 (or commonly erroneously called "1 gallon") nursery pot.  Everything is mixed by "parts", and a part can be anything you want it to be, so long as you use it consistently.  Meaning, your 1 part can be bean can, or it can be a dump truck.
Simpling it up even further - this skews the ratio just slightly, but still produces a very useable mix, that's still in the ball park:
7 parts peat
3 parts perlite
1 part compost
I mix mine by hand, but you can do it any way you have at your disposal.  Just make sure that it's REALLY well mixed.  I will tell you in advance, running your hands through a beautiful growing mix is an almost spiritual experience. :D
Awesome. I will pick everything up today..

I messed up though. I visited a nursery for dirt. They didn't have any. I walked out with another Carolina Reaper and Scorpion. Absolutely beautiful plants. $2.50 each. Couldn't pass. Means I need more dirt.

solid7 said:
Also, lightly spray it with water as you're mixing it.  DO NOT bog it down with wetness.  Just wet it lightly.  Don't forget to add your fertilizer in there. (if you get the organic - don't do that with regular slow release fertilizer)

Got mushroom compost, Peat moss and Growit! Perlite #3. It's small pellets, but not tiny. I got it from the local Hydroponics store. $35, but there are no other options here. 8qts for $9-11. This is 103qts.

I also got that fertilizer I linked to and I'm getting fish emulsion ASAP but I ran out of money.

I am planting everything tonight.

A few of the peppers I got have actual peppers. My sister said there's a good chance they'll go into shock due to the transplant, and lose the peppers. Is this true/is there any way to stop it?

mattbhm said:

Got mushroom compost, Peat moss and Growit! Perlite #3. It's small pellets, but not tiny. I got it from the local Hydroponics store. $35, but there are no other options here. 8qts for $9-11. This is 103qts.

I also got that fertilizer I linked to and I'm getting fish emulsion ASAP but I ran out of money.

A few of the peppers I got have actual peppers. My sister said there's a good chance they'll go into shock due to the transplant, and lose the peppers. Is this true/is there any way to stop it?

Sounds like it has the potential to be a great mix. They may go into shock and drop flowers, but in my experience they don't drop fruits that are decently far along so readily.

mattbhm said:

There is always a chance that a plant can experience some transplant shock. Just be as careful during handling as you can.  That's about the best I can tell you.
Sounds like you're in great shape to grow peppers.  I have to admit, I'm a little jealous.  I think I like mixing potting mix, more than I like planting plants.

AndyW said:

Sounds like it has the potential to be a great mix. They may go into shock and drop flowers, but in my experience they don't drop fruits that are decently far along so readily.

Awesome. They're full sized peppers. A scorpion and I think a reaper. Just very green. I'll get pics tonight or tomorrow of everything and post them if people want?

solid7 said:

There is always a chance that a plant can experience some transplant shock. Just be as careful during handling as you can.  That's about the best I can tell you.
Sounds like you're in great shape to grow peppers.  I have to admit, I'm a little jealous.  I think I like mixing potting mix, more than I like planting plants.

Thanks very much, couldn't have found this stuff without you guys.

We'll see if they grow! I sure hope so after this! Haha.

AndyW said:

solid7 said:

Quick questions, very quick.

One, how big of holes drilled in Home depot buckets? How many too?

It's going to be raining strongly on and off for the next week. Including in about an hour. What should I do with my peppers? They're not planted yet, headed out to start mixing now.

mattbhm said:

Quick questions, very quick.

One, how big of holes drilled in Home depot buckets? How many too?

It's going to be raining strongly on and off for the next week. Including in about an hour. What should I do with my peppers? They're not planted yet, headed out to start mixing now.

You really only need one hole in the bottom of the bucket.  1/2" is a good size.  It's not going to hurt to make swiss cheese out of the bucket, but it's unnecessary, and a waste of time.  That 1/2" hole will drain the bucket every bit as well as 1000.  Some will argue for redundancy, in case the hole gets clogged.  Your choice.  Run the drill bit in reverse when you put holes in thin plastic.
You can put your plants under cover.  That's the beauty of portability. ;)

solid7 said:

You really only need one hole in the bottom of the bucket.  1/2" is a good size.  It's not going to hurt to make swiss cheese out of the bucket, but it's unnecessary, and a waste of time.  That 1/2" hole will drain the bucket every bit as well as 1000.  Some will argue for redundancy, in case the hole gets clogged.  Your choice.  Run the drill bit in reverse when you put holes in thin plastic.
You can put your plants under cover.  That's the beauty of portability. ;)

I don't have much cover but I'll try. I'm sure there's somewhere.

Last question(okay, no it's not), would it hurt to have screen over the hole/holes? Or is there enough pressure for no dirt to come out? It's just super fluffy dirt, I don't want it all to fall out.

And last thing, watering? How much on first day? After that?

That's one thing that terrifies me. I hear so much about over/under watering.

Back