• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! The Ramen Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
salsa woooh,i remember seeing tht now! nice job,this is a awesome throw down way better than i thought.

thanks geeme

CJ!!!! Cabbage Rolls??? Brilliant!

TB and SL sportin' matching tiaras. :lol: JayT needs one too....if he ever posts!!!!!! :razz:

Holy crap reeee lllaaaxxxxxx! It ain't even over!

Oy, I've been cooking/eating/uploading pics, and see I have quite a bit of catching up to do!

I went very traditional for this. There is a restaurant where I get a particular dish, and I wanted to try to do it on my own, but without asking them for their recipe. I pulled a JayT and went to the interweb and did RESEARCH, and found everyone makes this dish differently - I didn't find any two that used the same ingredients, including for the seasonings or sauce. Okay, fine. Let's close the interweb, and see what I can come up with on my own, a blend of ingredients from the web plus what I decided should go in there, too. Here are some prep pics:

Boom chaka-laka: browned ground pork in a spice sauce made from chicken broth, sweet bean paste, hot pepper paste, spicy hot bean paste, garlic, lemongrass, coriander, and allspice:
P1000932.JPG

Chopped up onion and ginger root...
P1000933.JPG

Carrots, edamame, shitake mushrooms:
P1000935.JPG

Bell pepper, green onions, jalapeno peppers
P1000936.JPG

Bok choy and Japanese eggplant, plus cilantro
P1000937.JPG

Give all dem veggiese a good stir....
P1000938.JPG

No, the seasoning packet didn't go into this part.... gotta wait for the final plate-up for that.
How did it taste? It was really, really good, but not quite like the restaurant version. Which did I like better? Admittedly, I liked them both the same - and I REALLY like the restaurant version. So even though not identical, it was still a win!

Ramen Research

Ramen dish:
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup tian mian jiang (sweet bean paste)
1/2 cup hot pepper paste
2 tablespoons toban jiang (spicy bean paste)
1 teaspoon (plus more) sesame oil
1 lb. ground pork
Olive oil
Lemongrass
Ramen noodles
Garlic
Ginger root
Rosemary
Cilantro
Coriander
Allspice
Green onion
Bell pepper
Jalapeno peppers
Edamame
Shiitake Mushrooms
Carrots
Onion
Baby bok choy
Japanese eggplant

In the glass:
Dip rim in ginger syrup, then into a mix of spicy ramen seasoning and sugar, fill with sparkling sake.

Ramen dish:
- Boil ramen noodles, drain, toss with some sesame oil and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the broth, all 3 pastes, the teaspoon of sesame oil, garlic, lemongrass, coriander, and allspice to make a sauce.
- In a small skillet, brown the pork then add the sauce and simmer while cooking the veggies. Stir in fresh rosemary.
- In a large skillet, heat some sesame oil and olive oil. Sauteé remaining ingredients, adding to skillet in order of time needed (onion and root veggies first, etc.)

Plate-up is a layer of noodles, veggies and meat mixture. Stir together before eating.

P1000940.JPG

P1000941.JPG

c.j. holy something,,thats awesome!

i couldnt find salsas final picks??

3/5 you went all out

gnarly i dig,,,i dig real hard. i wonder how many knew how to do the bag and towel cooking? dont forget the book on top of container of hot water!

Honestly, Cooking Ramen in a bag works better than on a stove!!

LunchBox's "Brit Schicks" Corny Rameny Dog Sausage

Sausage: Custom grind of venison and pork with fresh Morouga Scorpions, Naga Morich, and Caribbean Reds. Roll sausages into "hot-dog" shape and size.

Batter (for the sausages): 2 Ramen noodle bricks, ground up into a coarse powder in the blender. Add "chili" seasoning pack, a non-racist egg, 10.176 oz. of Shiner Bock, a tsp of corn starch, and stir with a fork.

Coat the sausages with a thick layer of Ramen-batter, drop in the cast iron to deep fry. When done, skewer with halved kabob sticks.

"Texas-Toothpicks": shoe string 6 large jalapenos, and a medium yellow onion. Take remaining Ramen batter, add a little flour, and some water to thin it out to the consistency of Elmer's glue. Dump japs and onions in, mix well, then dump into fryer.

*No other seasonings were used other than the ENTIRE seasoning packet, and it was shockingly very flavorful. My goal was to center the meal around the Ramen, instead of using at "an ingredient...yet make it unrecognizable.

Ghost-Mustard: My own blend of store bought yellow mustard, with Texas Creek Ghost Fire added as well as chipotle powder, garlic powder, roasted cumin powder, black pepper, and bhut jolokia powder (dried and powdered by me).

Scorchup: Store bought ketchup with garlic powder, black pepper, and "Super" Trinidad Scorpion flakes (dried and flaked by me).

ramenplate1-001.jpg

ramenplate2-001.jpg

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lunch box wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yonkers has a nice class also,hahe

Sweetness, G. That looks really really tasty!

Holy crap, LB, those look amazing!!
Where did you find a non-racist egg in Texas?
I just though that was a given.
Must've gone to the Hippy joint! :)

nice, I think I am too much of a carnivore for that, but it sure looks purdy there little lady!
Thanks, but it's like the honkey pokey - gotta put it all together!

SL - Saw your post - there was no requirement that the spice packet be repurposed - it had to be used, but could be repurposed.

Sweetness, G. That looks really really tasty!
Thanks! You know the story behind it...

Oh say..... can I get a pink tiara, too? I mean, I did break my ankle less than 3 weeks ago, and I had to hobble painfully through the Asian markets and grocery store to get my ingredients, AND my ankle is now complaining since I just spent all that time standing, chopping up all those veggies and slaving over a hot stove.....

Nah. Never mind. This stuff is just too good for any complaining!

Holy crap, there's some awesome food here in the past couple pages! LB: I thought that looked great even before I read that you used a custom blended sausage mix (that sounds soooo good). The spiced up condiments are a nice touch too.
Geeme: I just had some real good Thai food this week, and your dish looks WAY better than what I had there. I really wish I could peel that food off my computer screen!
CJ:My girlfriend's grandparents are Ukrainian; she makes stuffed cabbage rolls with them quite a bit and brings some home to me. It's good, but a little on the bland side; that sauce you cooked yours with is EXACTLY what it needs! That sounds real delish!
3/5:Those Ramen balls have my mouth watering something wicked and the sun dried tomatoes with fresh mozz on the garlic bread looks like a great combo.
Musky: That's some awesome looking midwestern comfort food!
HH:That sushi looks infinitely better than mine! Nice job!
PK: Awesome sandwich!

HH, confused by your post. Pictures of sushi, no description, no nothing. Is that final? Too many pics too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back