• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Super Bowl Touchdown Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game time is almost here.

FD in progress...

Pasta machine rolling smoothly. Slow cooker has been set to "keep warm".
The oil is still in the bottle, ready for the scalding I'm about to give it.

It's gonna be good!

final2.jpg
The hotdog twinky FTW!

Won tons??? For Superbowl??? Nah, that'd leave you wonton more. Heard early talk of Nachos...that says Superbowl to me, but not as loud and clear as the only obvious choice for Superbowl Sunday....POPPERS!

In spite of an early injury timeout...
IMG_1122_zps7d5e4fb9.jpg

I was able to get my star player back in the game with a quick taping...
IMG_1123_zps0fcbf678.jpg

IMG_1124_zps64a9e28b.jpg

IMG_1129_zps9a431c13.jpg

Yup...that there powder is my own! Mmmmm...

IMG_1130_zpsfff58653.jpg

....Some of these didn't survive the process, and other have already been sent to game day festivities.

Poppers I know, "been there done that" but wait...
IMG_1116_zps3c064389.jpg

How 'bout some sweetness in them poppers...making some PB filling...

IMG_1117_zpsabbd411f.jpg

IMG_1114_zpsb0274952.jpg

Ooooh...or Ice cream?

I know what you're thinkin...YUCK! Have you ever gotten that really good burn off a super and cooled it with some Vanilla ice cream...mmmmm. Its GOOD!
IMG_1115_zps4f0f2a25.jpg

got a little melty on me...taking too much time with the camera! Got 'em back int the freezer just in time...

IMG_1118_zps1abc3f62.jpg

PB filling was a little easier to manage, and just as delicious...

it for now...Final plate up incoming soon...

Fiddy's Super Ravioli

In preparation for this throwdown, I whipped up a batch of Italian Beef.
It's so damn good on it's own merit, and I'll share the recipe with the final entry.
But this being a finger food throwdown, I had to do something new with it. So I did...

Made some homemade pasta dough, rolled it out in the pasta robot.
Threw the italian beef into some ravioli.
After it was cut out, it went into the freezer for a quick chill. I don't want it frozen, just firm.

IMGP3009_zpsb1535bbe.jpg

Pre-raviolied
IMGP3011_zps2348f9d8.jpg

IMGP3010_zps58e29fa2.jpg

PoL
IMGP3012_zps8d297434.jpg

This gon' be good!!!!

Wontons are Chinese raviolis.

Damn look what sicman started!

Very nice, if I didn't partake too much in the booze last night I would have smoked some pork butts today and made something similar. Oh well, excuses and sore liver!

SWEET AND SAVORY POPPERS...

Traditional popper ingredients:
Peppers
Cream Cheese
Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
Bacon
Little Smokies
Shrimp
Green Onions (diced)

Sweet Poppers:
Old Fashion Peanut Butter
Powdered Sugar
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Roasted Salted Sunflower Seeds (shelled)
Sliced Almonds
Dipping Chocolate...(White and Milk)

Recipe is pretty simple...
Traditional:
Cook 4 strips bacon and convert to bits. Combine Cream Cheese, bacon bits and green onions and mix until well combined and softened. Fill peppers with cream cheese mixture (I use a pastry gun) and sprinkle with a bit of shredded cheese. Top with shrimp, sausage...or just cream cheese works too! Wrap with bacon and cook in 350 degree oven until bacon is done. (20-25 minutes)

PB filled:
Combine equal parts Peanut Butter and Powdered Sugar and mix well. Fill peppers (I used a mix of both sweet peppers and hots) Refrigerate while preps continue...

Ice Cream Filled:
Place glass plate with desired peppers in freezer for approximately 30 minutes. Soften enough Ice Cream to fill your pods and fill pastry gun with it...(gotta be quick on this part!) Fill peppers and place back in freezer.

While the ice cream set I went back to the PB...melt and temper chocolate (water bath) many youtube directions on how to do it. I dipped my PB poppers, back in the fridge, then did my Ice Cream Poppers and back in the freezer. I then did the fancywork with the alternating drizzle.

Didn't include the dip recipies...Home made whip cream, and some home made cocktail sauce for the shrimp poppers. Both straight forward, and I will share if you're interested....oh well, nuff said.

IMG_1132_zpse1fd14c1.jpg

The football is an ice cream filled Manzano...Gonna hurt someone!

IMG_1137_zps3eea7b9f.jpg

I know you can only see .46 in this pic...#47 is under there! Didn't figure out 'till after I snapped them all that I only needed the POL in the one pic...noob.

That's all folks...Hope your team wins, or you at least hit a square in the pool!
Shane

There is nothing chinese about these raviolis. They are Italian through and through.

Hand made pasta dough, made in the pasta robot by Mrs. Frydad under my careful watch.
(I don't know what the f**k I'm doing there, she's really good at that kind of stuff)

Stuffed with Italian Beef, breaded in Panko, fried.

Topped in a cilantro deli-mustard cream sauce. Served Game Time. Greatness!!!

IMGP3014_zps86842d0c.jpg

IMGP3013_zps2d25c357.jpg

IMGP3016_zps006f3c8a.jpg

Hot dang! Wish I was at you guys' house for the superbowl. All I got was some tacos! Thanks boss for lettin us have monday, should allow me to get an entry in!

SWEET AND SAVORY POPPERS!

Frydad's Fried Ravioli!!!

Like this entry or not...
everyone needs to write down this Italian Beef recipe and make it.

4-6 pound beef roast (I use eye round) remove all visible fat/gristle
1 large jar pepperocini. Juice and all. (but take the stems off)
2 C water
3 beef bouillon cubes (I use "better than bouillon" stuff in a jar...it's better)
3 green peppers sliced
1 lb hot italian sausage (raw in casing)
1 lb mild italian sausage (raw in casing)

poke holes in the sausage, bake at 350 for 30-45 mins. Cool. Slice thin.

Throw everything in a crock pot and let it go for 7-10 hours. Serve with warm crusty bread...

or make it into ravioli!!!

Ravioli dough is flour, eggs, olive oil, water, and salt. Rolled in pasta robot. Italian beef added, smack it up, flip it, rub it down (oh no!!!!)

The sauce is sour cream, deli mustard, congo trinidad, and cilantro.

Dip ravioli in egg wash and coat in Panko Bread Crumbs. Deep fry until golden
Top with mustard sauce and serve.
Good Stuff!!!!

IMGP3015_zps5b65d32f.jpg

$ shot
IMGP3017_zps69439652.jpg

FD

Megamoo Poppers

I understand its a bit of a predictable super bowl finger food, but I've never made poppers before and don't ever get a chance to watch american football so this is all exotic and different ;)

Y'all know how to make poppers but this is what I did.

Hollowed out the green things and filled with
cream cheese
parmesan cheese
charred chorizo bits
porcini muishrooms
garlic powder
chives
lime zest
PLUS... one large Peach Habanero sliced and diced ;)

wrapped in bacon and hung in the oven until delicious.

It's not an entire stadium of food but I'm the only one who eats spicy in this house :( The converting campaign is ongoing. ;)

Finished product
poplers021_zpsa46e385c.jpg

fingers and food
poplers022_zps0b88921e.jpg

nom nom nom

It was very tasty but the cream cheese must have seriously taken down the heat of the Habanero. Mouth only burnt but didn't catch fire. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back