• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Savory Chocolate Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salsalady's Chipotle Chocolate Carbonara Pasta

I'd been thinking of doing a carbonara for dinner today, and the TD inspiration hit!   Down at the corner market, I was considering their very nice selection of chocolates-
IMG_5737.JPG

-when I remembered I had THIS at home courtesy of my Secret Santa gift exchange!
IMG_5738.JPG

Most of the important ingredients-
Lindt Chili Dark Chocolate
chipotle in adobo
some carne asada sliced beef (3/4 pound?)
1 lb bacon
1/2 onion
pasta- linguine or fettuccine, pre-cooked, about 3/4 pound of dry pasta
1 qt Half-n-half, 4 oz cream cheese
capers
EVOO, garlic, salt, pepper
IMG_5738 - Copy.JPG

Prepped ingredients-
Dice Bacon, render out in a heavy cast iron pan or similar until crispy.  Remove and set aside.

While the bacon is cooking, in a separate heavy cast iron or similar pan on medium heat, caramelize slivered onions in EVOO, with a bit of diced bacon, salt, pepper (sorry, geeme! ).  When nicely brown, add 4 -6 cloves minced garlic, cook 3-4 minutes being careful not to burn the garlic.
Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. 
Turn pan up to medium high, add a bit more EVOO.
Roll up the pre-sliced beef and cut into thin strips, season well with S&P.
Brown slivered beef in the CI drippings.
Remove and set aside, reserve oil and drippings

IMG_5743.JPG

IMG_5744.JPG

IMG_5745.JPG

In a non-stick pan, gently warm-
3/4c 1/2 & 1/2,
1 1/2 pips chocolate cut small,
1 tsp chipotle in adobo,
1 Tbsp cream cheese,
1 Tbsp reserved evoo and drippings. 
Keep Stirring gently. 
IMG_5748.JPG

When all is melted and smooth, add a tong-full each of caramelized onions, cooked bacon, beef strips, cooked pasta, and 1 tsp capers.
IMG_5749.JPG

Stir gently until everything is hot and bubbly.  Plate, garnish with whatever (parsley, diced tomato, shaved chocolate...).  ENJOY! 

IMG_5750.JPG

IMG_5751.JPG

The chipotle and chocolate came through very nicely.  They could both be tasted, then there's a bite of caramelized onion and bacon, and the beef strips wound up just like the pasta.  We all enjoyed this fun and different TD dinner! 

edit-fixed the orientation!  Also, did not use the mozzarella~

thanks, HM01!  It totally worked, everyone pretty much cleaned their plate.  I actually made 3 separate pans as the 'Kid didn't want onions, I wanted everything and Hubby only wanted a tiny bit of chipotle. 

Thanks Pauly, but I think there's plenty more awesomeness in the works!  Or at least to be posted yet... :dance:

PM sent to The Boss, let me know if I didn't get the link right.  Thanks!

Carne Con Cocoa y Cocoa Guajillo salsa

NO1SoZI.jpg

[SIZE=10.5pt]Cocoa rub[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]2 T Cocoa nibs ground[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]2 tsp Pepper flakes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]1 tsp Cumin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]½ tsp Ground Mustard[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]½ tsp Hot Mexican Chili Powder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]2 T Brown sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]½ tsp Blackened seasoning[/SIZE]

IRZL6pS.jpg

[SIZE=10.5pt]1.    [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Mix rub ingredients and rub into meat, allow to rest for a minimum one hour prior to grilling. [/SIZE]

YS0iYp8.jpg

[SIZE=10.5pt]Cocoa Guajillo Salsa[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]4 guajillo chilies toasted and rehydrated[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]roasted garlic 4 cloves[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]2T olive oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]1can chipotle sauce[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]1T rice vinegar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]1tsp kosher salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]2T soy sauce[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]1T brown sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]3 T Ground Cocoa nib powder[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.5pt]3 T sun dried [/SIZE]tomatoes[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=10.5pt]Throw ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth[/SIZE]
sePiTvp.jpg

tnb8hGG.jpg

[SIZE=10.5pt]Spanish Rice[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Half an onion chopped[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]1 roasted pablano chopped[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]2 cups chicken broth (had left over ramen stock)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]¾ cup favorite salsa (frontera guajillo salsa)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]¼ cup Cocoa Guajillo salsa[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]         1 1/2 cup rice[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=10.5pt]heat 1 T oil in med pan, saute onion and pepper until soft.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=10.5pt]add rice and saute for one min stirring constantly so rice doesn't burn[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=10.5pt]add Chicken broth and salsa, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. [/SIZE]
4ISMcrN.jpg

SSjJe7T.jpg

Enjoy!

pWJ4OI1.jpg

Well done so far!

We got SNF, geeme coming in hot? Still time!

Cocoa Gumbo with Chicken and Sausage

7IdTlV8.jpg

Andouille cocoa puffs:

- ~1.5 lb andouille
- 1T. chocolate habanero flakes
- 1.5T. cocoa powder

-Mix meat and seasonings thoroughly.
     -Form into flat 1" balls and chill to firm.
2Rb5MAD.jpg

-Fry in a hot cast iron dutch oven until nice and brown.
i8jmgRp.jpg

-Drain on paper towels and set aside.

Fried chicken:

- 3lb. boneless chicken thighs
- ~2t. kosher salt for brining
-  1T. cayenne flakes

-Trim thighs and rub in salt and cayenne. Let it sit for an hour or two to absorb salt.
oVxDtoc.jpg

-Combine in a ziploc bag:

- ~1 c. flour
- 1T. chimayo flakes
- 1.5t. ground marjoram
- 2T cocoa powder
- 1t. black pepper
YNZGiuJ.jpg

-Add about a half cup of oil to leftover andouille fat and heat until just smoking.
     -Shake chicken in flour and fry in batches until sexy.
I3KeMsY.jpg

(And I mean sexy!)
lL7k1h6.jpg

-Set aside.

Gumbo base:

- 2c. diced onion
- 1c. diced celery
- 1c. diced green bell pepper
- 1/2t. ground thyme
- 1/2t. black pepper

-Heat leftover oil until just smoking.
     -Add veggies to oil and cook on med/high heat, stirring occasionally.
efGxmbs.jpg

-When veggies have browned and are soft, add 8c. chicken broth. Bring to a simmer.
     - Add a heap of okra and return to simmer.
     - Add andouille balls and (sliced) chicken thighs.
     - Return to a simmer and cover for an hour or so.
s0X74fx.jpg

-Serve over rice with fresh homemade buttered bread.
6ac73eD.jpg

So last week I was jonesin' for a new gumbo recipe to try out. Rajun Gardener came to the rescue and posted some for me to try. I was all set to make a regular, authentic Louisiana gumbo and then I got an idea. When I make gumbo, I like to use a really dark, flavorful roux. I decided to find out how well cocoa's dark earthy flavors would pair with it. Then I started to get creative drink lots of double IPA (throwdown juice).
     Mixing the cocoa powder with the andouille seemed like the place to start along with a big scoop of chocolate habanero powder. SCORE! The aroma of the chocolatey browning meat told me I was on the right track. :drooling: But the smell and taste of the cocoa, herb and chimayo breaded chicken was what really got my attention. I don't think I'll ever make fried chicken again with out a big scoop of cocoa powder. It sounds weird, but the browned chicken flavors and the smooth kind of creamy flavor of the cocoa were just spectacular together.
     I would've never thought to put those flavors together without the incentive of this TD. Just too weird sounding. But the end result speaks for itself here. The umami chicken cocoa flavor kind of melted into the soup and lent it a meaty, subtly sweet undertone. But the chocolate hab andouille cocoa puffs kept to themselves and gave an occasional burst of spicy cocoa sausage flavor. The cocoa and chinense flavors really complemented the overall savory, red annuum flavors of the rest of the soup.
     I know I seriously bastardized a Southern staple here, but it was worth it. My wife and I were very pleasantly surprised with this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back