• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Pizza Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prep pics:

Crust pre-baked then covered with creamed corn.
p1.jpg

A mixed layer of chopped onion and bell pepper, plus shredded pepperjack cheese.
p2.jpg

On goes veggie love: rocotos, tomatoe, tequila-hydrated jalapenos and congo trins, cilantro, plus green bell slices and zucchini.
p3.jpg

Another layer of pepperjack cheese, then the rubbed flank steak.
p4.jpg

This is out of the oven, before the garnish added.
p5.jpg

p6.jpg

Nice one geeme. So in your cooking method, can you tell us how the steak was prepared? I assume it was cooked first right? Thanks!

THP: No, it wasn't cooked first. The oven was at 500F, which was plenty hot enough to cook it, and I didn't want it to be overdone.

Is that zucchini? I don't see it in the ingredients list. What are those? Looks mouthwatering G!
Thanks for catching that - I've fixed it now. Yes, it's zucchini.

Many of you know my son doesn't like things quite as hot as I do, but he took a slice of my pie, anyway. Good thing I planned to make 2 pies - he then made one without the rocotos, and wolfed it down.

Fajita Texifaction:

(That's like Satisfaction, only better!)
Just got back from visiting the fam in Houston, so kind of HAD to do TexMex.

CRUST:
1/2 cup corn meal
1/2 cup boiling water
Stir the boiling water into the cornmeal, cover and let come to room temperature. Stir again, then put into the fridge while you're getting the rest of the crust ingredients ready.

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon instant or bread-machine yeast
Garlic powder
Cayenne powder
Stir these dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.

1 cup ice water
1 tablespoon olive oil
Stir the ice water into the now-cool cornmeal/water mix, then stir all of into the dry ingredient bowl, just until incorporated. Add the tablespoon of olive oil, and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge 3 to 12 hours. Move it to a cool room for 4 to 12 hours.

Stir dough to deflate it, divide in half if using standard circular pizza pans. Dough may be used immediately, or refrigerated up to 12 hours, or wrapped and frozen for up to 1 month.

PIZZA:
Put a pizza stone or a pan on the lowest rack of the oven, and preheat to 500F. Spread the dough out on parchment paper, drizzle with olive oil, then bake 5 minutes. Add the toppings. Slide it (on the parchment paper) onto the stone or pan, bake for 10 minutes. Garnish with pico de gallo, sour cream and guacamole, squeeze fresh lime all around.

Toppings:
- Flank steak rubbed with a blend of oregano, garlic powder, chipotle chile powder, allspice, cumin, achiote, and coriander.
- Dried jalapeños and congo trinidads rehydrated in tequila.
- Fresh rocotos.
- Chopped onion and red bell pepper
- Sliced tomatoe
- Fresh cilantro
- Creamed corn (for the sauce)
- Shredded pepper jack cheese
- Zucchini and green bell pepper

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

I should go home more often for such inspiration - this was WOW.
BOOOOOOOOMMMMMM! I lov it

Love the music selection. May have won my vote with the desire to go a step farther with video.

Thanks! I'm actually surprized a vid hasn't been don before. Hopefully, you will excuse my crude editing skills...and of course, not enough disc in the video cam to capture everything. :(

But...the pizza was a success...dude...you have no idea!

Hot and Spicy Pie

Dough:

1 TB Habanero Sugar
1/4 oz. yeast
3 TB olive oil
3 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 TS Ghost Pepper Salt

Sauce:

Olive oil
Butter
Onion
Celery
Garlic
Tomato Sauce 8oz
Tomato Paste 6oz
Parmesan
Basil
Oregano
Salt
Sugar
Pepper
Bay Leaf
Fennel Seed

Pizza Toppings:

Chicken- marinated in..salt, cayenne, pepper, garlic powder, cumin and basil.
Hot Sausage
Pepperoni
Mozzarella, Parmesan, Asagio, Romano
Fresh Basil

So I decided to make a super hot dough and leave the toppings mild. Was a different sensation to have the crust be scorching and not the toppings on the pie. Ghost pepper salt and Habanero sugar made for a great but HOT crust.

Wish my pics turned out better but here ya go........

P1000142.jpg

P1000134.jpg

Is Sum still out there or did he post his in this 22 page behemoth?

I kind of failed on some of the prep pics and the layers of toppings that were added are kind of hard to see with all the cheese , I should have taken pics of each layer as i added them but oh well, it tasted awesome

preparing the cheese and jalapeno stuffing that will be in the crust
cheesechilestuff.jpg

heres the dough after I folded the crust over the cheese and Jals
crust1jpg.jpg

"Cornmeal Pizza with Wild Shrooms"
IMG_2453.jpg
Here's the finished pizza
IMG_2466.jpg
Slice of the pie.......I also dribble on some infused olive oil with Bonda ma Jacques and Spanish Naga Morich's A glass or two of Campo Viejo 2006 to wash it all down... Thanks for checking this out. and now for the details Greg

Dough

3 Tbls active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups of warm water (85deg)
1 Tbl honey
2 Tbl sunflower oil
2 1/4 cups type "00" flour
1/2 cup semolina
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbl cracked black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced

Sauce

1/2 cup of olive oil
6 tomatillos
2 seranno chilis
1/4 red onion
2 Tbls chopped
chopped cilantro
1 Tbl dried mexican oregano
2 cloves of garlic
1 egg yoke
1/2 cup of manchego cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Topping

3 Tbl olive oil
1/2 lb wild mushrooms ( chanterelles, shiitakes, trumpet, porcini, lobster)
1/4 cup sliced red onion
1 tsp minced garlic
2 jiggers Tequila
2 each of green chilies poblano, anaheim, jalapeno roasted/smoked
1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
6 slices of proscutto
1 cup grated cheeses (oaxaca,la serena al vino,campo d montalban, manchego)
cilantro leaves, roughly chopped

Procedure

To make the dough, proof the yeast and honey in warm water until foamy. With a mixer at low speed add flour, semolina, cornmeal, garlic, salt and oil. Knead at medium speed for 10 minutes. Place in an oiled container overnite or up to 3 days in the fridge.
Let dough rise at room temp for 3 hrs. Mean while under the broiler roast tomatillos, onion, garlic, serrano pepper , garlic until soft. Set aside until cool. Blend mixture with olive oil and 1 egg yoke.
On a grill roast the peppers until blackened, When cooled off remove skin and deseed peppers. In a pan saute mushrooms, red onion, garlic in olive oil. Flambe mixture with 2 jiggers of Tequila. Reduce liquid down to 1 tbl.
Remove 20 oz of dough from the container ( shold have enough for 2 skins) Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Roll dough into a ball and flatten into a disc, Carefully stretch the disc to a rustic round circle about 16". Paint sauce on top of dough, add peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, proscutto and grated cheese. Bake on a pizza stone or pan for about 10 min.....enjoy...with your favorite drink

Greg

Don't go to bed yet.
Sum just made PERFECTION!!!!
Uploading now. Posting soon (before the deadline, of course!)

He's good late in the game, like a culinary Tim Tebow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back