• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Pie Throwdown

Best pie?

• 5oclocksomewhere - Jalapeno Missile Burger Pies

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • salsalady - Salsalady's Pecan Pie THP-style

• Pepper Ridge Farm - Mile High Pizza

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • frydad4 - Frydad's Cuban Pie-Ness

• paulky_2000 - Bacon-Spinach Quiche with a Kick

• paulky_2000 - Walkerswood Shrimp Quiche

• SumOfMyBits - Double Pie-ness Penetration

• Novacastrian - Hommus And Chilli Chicken Cheese Pie

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • mel - Beef Beer Popper Pie

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • mel - Chilli Chocolate Pie

• Deathtosnails - Mexicana Pie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PerkoXxX - Prawn and Chili Pie

• boutros - Bouty's Pie

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
mel said:
Thanks WM!!! This is the aftermath of the pie throwdown.. i dont think i want to get up in the morning to clean :P

IMG_2668.jpg

How the hell did you make all that mess! I mean your pies look OK (alright the chocolate one looks a little better than ok) but still, ALL THAT MESS FOR TWO PIES?

Should be ashamed of yourself...

:D My mangina is doing a little dance...

well this is freakin stupid

we get a day to cook food for a contest

I work fridays and saturdays, thats why I was banking on sunday, but now apparently for this contest we dont have sunday

good luck to everyone that has the opportunity to cook in a 24 hour time period

Novacastrian said:
Celery? :confused: In a pie?

Oy, wtf do we know about pies here in socal anyway? I was gonna put vegemite in it too :lol:

mel said:
Ok folks.. heres round 1..

Beef Beer Popper Pie

Ingredients:
Beef, Beer,yellow 7-pod Chilli, Bacon, Capsicum, CELERY, French Shallots, Carrots, Tomatoes, Garlic, Dried Cumin, Dried Coriander, Fresh Thyme, Beef Stock, Jalepeno's, Brie Cheese, ham.. Flour, Butter, Eggs

Sweet!

Bouty's Pie

Pie is hard. Never made one. Ripped a bunch of crusts apart just tryin to unroll em.

I did a rip off of maybe like a scotch minced pie, about a pound and a half plus mix of pork and lamb in the Dutch oven. Browned then simmered in some beer, added minced white onion,celery,mushrooms,and garlic at different times. Spices are a cooked in ras el hanout sorta Moroccan recipe peppercorn,turmeric,salt, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, cayenne, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves mix. Used a homegrown Chocolate and White Habanero mix for spice. Thickened the mix up with some more beer mixed with the gravy flour then put in the oven for around 40 min.

A cookin' pic
IMG_5733.jpg

Outta the oven
IMG_5734.jpg

This other pic. Got the bottom crust out, the pie fillin' had some "flow" goin though. Saucy!
IMG_5735.jpg

Closer now!
IMG_5740.jpg

Was pretty good! Was cool to try one out, different sorta dish than we usually make here. Tasted sorta curryish- very savory, very hot with around a tablespoon and a half ground choco and white hab.

Good luck everybody, cool seein what you're eatin'... Hope to see somemore entries sneak in!

This is over. Some nice pies! Voting thread in a day or two. Sorry for the delay. Look them over good in the meantime!

Poll is up!

*Still trying to get some tech stuff done on the site but if it's down, it's down for everyone so will not affect outcome. Will try to keep it minimal. Just make sure to vote when you know so you are not locked out if there is downtime. Thanks

It was a serious toss-up for me between Frydad's Cuban pie and Mel's meat pie, but in the end I had to go with Mel. They are all winners to me. Nice job everyone.

Never had Cuban food before. Sure would like to now. Just got to run with frydad4's Cuban masterpiece. Man that looks good!

Great work everyone, thanks for making me hungry.

My faves are mel's popper, bouty's, and SL's pecan.

Well pecan pie is my fave, and with chocolate, and chile, welllll... my vote goes to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Win!

Homemade crust, whipped cream, and pecans to boot!

Thanks Pat and JT...it was really good. Surprisingly good. Might become a staple around here!

mmm voting time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back