• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! P. Dreadie's Memorial Caribbean Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy wow.

Y'all should just thank your lucky stars I ain't at your places right now. (especially you SL).

There would be some serious eating debauchery happinen!

I might not be able to vote on this one. Pick just one? yeeeaaahhh, right.

Crazy spicy Caribbean marinade all up under the chicken skin as it gets happy in the smoker...

13179349_1218877064812684_5105294662008801942_n.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
Actually I bet dark is more expensive there because they prefer it.

Drumsticks and leg quarters are regularly less than $0.50/lb here in the "Ethnic" supermarkets. 

So I shop there, even though I lack "ethnicity". 

Awesome entries!! Can't wait to see more finished plates!! Good times!

Mango Glazed Bunuelos
 ​
YMf23WW.jpg
 ​
 ​
Ingredients:

• 3 cups flour sifted
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup of milk
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • oil for frying
Directions:

In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt.
in a small bowl, beat one tbsp sugar, eggs and butter. Stir in milk. Add mixture to flour.
Shape into 20 balls. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Heat oil
Smash each ball flat between your palms into thin circles. 

2BiqCtT.jpg

Fry them until golden brown, turning once. 
Drain and roll in cinnamon sugar.

yd1LUwr.jpg

To make glaze heat 1/4 cup of milk, 3 tsp mango puree over low heat until warm. Add 2 cups of confectioner sugar and whisk continuously. 
Remove from heat and roll Brunuelos in mixture and place on rack to dry. Top with Candied Peppers.

GTD4q2N.jpg

To make candied peppers slice and soak peppers in a 50/50 mix of sugar and water for 20mins. Bake in 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. 

Enjoy!

Z5o4mpj.jpg

(dessert entry obviously)

I got a belly ache ate too many of the "testers" lol. I like the mango glazed women like the cinnamon sugar ones. 

Just waiting on this guy..

gmr5qvM.jpg

I'm not doing panelas or the curried chickpeas. I only got a few hours sleep and I've had the worst dehydration headache all day. Like a nasty hangover minus the booze. 

Lovely, kbk. Beautiful fry job ...

Looking good, JHP ...

hot stuff's got some killer looking black beans going, and a nice colorful sofrito ...

And D3 meat is literally singing to me =)

I think that catches me up!

D3monic said:
I got a belly ache ate too many of the "testers" lol. I like the mango glazed women like the cinnamon sugar ones. 

Just waiting on this guy..

gmr5qvM.jpg

I'm not doing panelas or the curried chickpeas. I only got a few hours sleep and I've had the worst dehydration headache all day. Like a nasty hangover minus the booze. 
Looking good, and really, who could resist a mango glazed woman...  ;)

A Suh Wi Dweet

This is the mothers day meal for the Jamaican in-laws, Patois not included....

20160508_141638_zpsrwde3s5u.jpg
20160508_142724_zpsjnotcgrh.jpg
20160508_141608_zps7vfgfswn.jpg
20160508_160123_zpsj3uagukm.jpg
20160508_162814_zpsrismzqrh.jpg

20160508_160217_zps6nkq3gqe.jpg
20160508_164444_zpslosvajwb.jpg
20160508_164450_zpsrbrylfaq.jpg

20160508_164453_zpsuryzppzc.jpg
20160507_201603_zpskc2wlogg.jpg

Chicken

Covered in a fruit/jerk sauce (mango 4 slices, pineapple 5 chunks, 5 allspice berries, quarter inch of ginger ground, black pepper .25 tsp, 4 garlic cloves, 1 yellow bell, half large carrot stick, half onion, thyme 6 springs, 2 tbsp brownsugar, 1 tbsp molasses, 2 tsp pickling salt, 20 cardi scorps, 1/2 cup rice vinegar, 1/4 lime juice) placed on grill indirect heat added wood chips and slowly cooked for 2.5 hours.

Side 1

Curry Mutton on cabbage 

.5 cup of water in pot, 1 sliced onion, 1 or 2 sliced bell peppers, 1 tomato, 3 tbsp curry, 2 tbsp all purpose seasoning, 1 tbsp whole allspice berries, some diced up mutton (goat) cooked on high for three hours then add 1 12 oz can of butterbeans for an additional 30 minutes. In a separate pan cook sliced cabage, carrot, and onion with 2 tbsp of vinegar, 2 tbsp of brown sugar, 1 tbsp dijon mustard, one finely diced scotchie, cook until tender. put mutton on cabbage.  

Side 2

Broad beans and oxtail

Oxtail marinated with a tbsp of browning, 2 tbsp of oxtail seasoning, 1 tbsp allspice berries blended in crockpot on high for 8 hours then add 1 can of beans at the end.

Side 3

Rice and peas

Half a bag of peas (kidney beans) soaked over night, start cooking these in a pot of 6 cups of water until tender. Add 4 cups of rice, 1 cup of coconut milk, 3 or 4 sprigs of thyme, onion greens, 1 scotch bonnet, 1 garlic clove whole. Continue to cook until boiling again then turn down the heat to simmer for 20 minutes or so. Fluff with fork and remove the whole garlic, pepper, and thyme sticks.

Not an entry but was made (Admin edit: Allowed as part of entry, fits tapas definition as is all small bites. But note, beverage was not homemade.)
Plantains must accompany the meal of course for the fiancee's parents...

Appetizer 

Tostones

Green plantain sliced diagonally and cooked in oil then squished flat and cooked again until golden brown. Sauce is mayo, katchup, garlic powder, and a pinch of dried cardi scorpion powder.

Not finished nor shown was this amazing pig shoulder we got. This was marinated overnight in jerk sauce and was smoked on the grill.....still is cooking so they wont get to enjoy this today. We will slice the jerk pork up and probably eat it tomorrow.

Jamaican Chicken Curry

Cooked Beans and Potatoes and Chicken carcass in Pressure Cooker for 20 min (beans soaked 6 hours, use water to cook) previous day, put in fridge.
Placed one quart bean mix in PC add Veg stock, place pre pan fried to crisp skin and surface of chicken into bottom of rice cooker, pan scrapings went in the pot too, add rest of spices. Add two precooked potatoes diced up.
Garam Masala mix are whole spices I then ground partially.
Cooked on low 6 hours.

Chick peas 1part
Pinto beans 1/2part
Chicken Breast one
Garlic cloves 2
Ginger fresh 2oz
Coconut cream (solid) 1/4 cup
Veg broth 2 cups
2 potatoes medium
1/2 tbsp dried Jamaican Yellow Habs
2 tbsp Seasoning
1 tbsp Turmeric powder
3 tbsp Garam Masala mix
1 tbsp Cumin

Drink Ginger Beer
Ginger powder, Lemon and honey added to Carbonated water ( partially froze the bottle so it would not react badly when adding the ingredients)
2L soda water
2 tbsp Dried Ginger (depending how good the powder is)
1/2cup honey (depending on how sweet you want it, dont like sweet, you like sweet, add 1cup)
1 lemon med

P5070606_CaribbeanTD-1500_zpskvdr0lnh.jpg

P5080611_FriedChickenBreast-1000_zpspasvav3r.jpg

P5080612_JamaicanThrowdown-1500_zpsa6dpu64e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back