• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Ethnic/Regional Sandwich II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas Brisket Sandwich.

It is a widely held belief that the hamburger sandwich was created first by Fletcher Davis in Athens, Texas sometime in the 1880's. Some Texas legislators have gone so far as to try and pass legislation proclaiming the hamburger as the official state sandwich of Texas. I reckon most Texans would disagree mightily. Every body knows that the bbq brisket sandwich is king.

I will be paying homage to the brisket sandwich in the classic tradition which usually means that you are served a pile of sliced brisket and a stack of white bread. Onion slices and bread and butter pickles are a common additions.

Here we go y'all! I didn't want to 'que up a huge brisket so I found a small flat at the local Try-N-Save. Along with some Mrs. Baird's white bread, a Texas favorite, I also got some Best Made Jalapeno Bread & Butter Pickles (Made in Fort Worth).
A while back JayT, my brother from another mother, sent me some of his steak rub. Very zippy and great on everything. The rub contains a blend of dried ancho, guajillo, pasilla, habanero, bhut jolokia, and mombasa chile's along with white and black peppers. To stretch it out to have enough for the brisket, I've added brown sugar and more salt to the mix.

Chingalo!

IMG_3833.jpg

Fired up my drum smoker, Black Betty. She's rockin' solid @250f on some Kingsford and mesquite chunks.

(my poor back yard. Damn you water restrictions!)

IMG_3850.jpg

This is the goodness you get after a little over 4 hours.

IMG_3854.jpg

This was a pretty lean part of the brisket and pretty small so I had to stay on my game to not over do it.

It came out surprisingly moist and flavorful and one of the better briskets I have done.

IMG_3855.jpg

And here's how we roll, Texas style.

IMG_3858.jpg

Texas bbq snobs such as myself prefer the meat naked, no sauce, but every joint offers it, usually on the side. Texas bbq sauce is usually thinner than KC style, a little sweet, and vinegary, but usually more peppery. I keep Bone Suckin' brand sauce on hand and doctor it up to my liking by adding more black pepper and in this case, some of AJ's 7 Pot & T- Scorpion puree. Because so many here on THP do enjoy sauce on their 'que, we will go with that.

IMG_3860.jpg

Money. Texas style!

IMG_3864.jpg

IMG_3866.jpg

The brisket was smoky melt in your mouth hotness! The sauce was also an excellent compliment to the meat and lit me up just right.

Sparks' o' lightnin'!

IMG_3870.jpg

In Texas we get high naturally. We like powerful gasoline. A clean windshield. A great shoe shine...

AND BRISKET!!!

[sub]Swwet lookin' sammies all!!![/sub]

[sub]I just got home from AT and have no ingredients to enter......shame....[/sub]

[sub]I'm sure everyone wanted to see yet another hot brown from me![/sub]

[sub] :P [/sub]

To quote the effervescent TB: Hot Blue and Righteous BBQ there, TB! I'm with you - my brisky sammies are all about the meat. Q-sauce, IMO, is reserved for when the brisky is overcooked, and therefore on the dry side. Perfectly-cooked brisky requires no sauce, and it appears you nailed it!

Cheesy Beef

Once again, I was attempting to make something I have never previously made. Thus, I had to find some recipes that helped, along with a bit of adaptation.

Ingredients:

Giardiniera (credit to internet-based recipes slightly modified for my purposes)

1 large red bell pepper
2 green bell peppers
8 Jalapenos
1 Celery stalk
1 Carrot
Sliced section of onion
½ cup cauliflower
½ cup salt
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon USMC Orange Habanero powder
½ teaspoon black pepper
5 oz stuffed green olives
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup olive oil

Italian Beef (credit to internet-based recipes slightly modified for my purposes)

3 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon onion salt
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 package dry Italian salad dressing mix
Beef to cook as required

Italian Bread (credit to internet-based recipes slightly modified for my purposes)

2 cups water
1/3 cup yeast
5 ¾ cups flour
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon salt

Provolone Cheese

To make Giardiniera:
  1. Prepare and slice/dice vegetables into mixing bowl.
  2. Add spices as required.
  3. Add olive oil and white vinegar.
  4. Mix together refrigerate until meal is to be served.
To make Italian Beef:
  1. Preheat spice mixture and 3 cups water on the stove to a boil.
  2. Place meat to be cooked into a crock pot. Add heated spice mixture to crock pot and allow this to cook for 10 hours. In my case, process was interrupted at 6 hours due to eventual meal serving times.
  3. During the interruption, meat was reduced in size to smaller pieces.
  4. Process continued next morning for addition remaining hours.
  5. Meat was further reduced in size, and allowed to remain in spice mixture until needed.
To make Italian Bread:
  1. Add water and yeast to mixing bowl, allow yeast to set for about five minutes
  2. Add flour and sugar, begin forming dough
  3. Add olive oil and salt and beat until mixture is ready.
  4. Place dough in bowl with some oil. Cover for about an hour or so.
  5. Roll doll in bowl into desired shape
  6. Place dough on a surface dusted with flour covered with a damp towel for 30 minutes.
  7. Score dough diagonally.
  8. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes. Time may vary.
cheesybeef6.jpg

cheesybeef5.jpg

G, much obliged for the kind words.

I rarely use sauce on brisket and the only reason for doing so here is the fact that it is my belief that THP members prefer it.

In this case, the sauce and brisket combo was awesome!

I reckon it also makes for appealing photo as well.

Yesterday when I was checking the meat in the smoker, mrs. blues whom is not a real big fan of brisket, gave it a big fat meh!

She likes bbq but doesn't like any fat and minimal smoke.

I pulled out some of the leftover brisket a bit ago.

She jumped on it as if the meat looked like a shirtless Matthew McConaughey laying there on the plate and started chowing on it like she was mad at it!

She's now insisting I 'que up some more next week!

Alright, I grew up in a mining community in northern Ontario (Canada). Lots of European immigrants, including Irish, Italians, Portuguese, Germans, Finns, and Estonians. There was a little shop where I use to buy lunch sometimes when I was young. The wife was Portuguese and the husband Italian. Here is my best effort to recreate their signature pork sandwich. Hope you'll forgive me that I didn't take a picture of the pork before it went in the slow cooker. My wife put it in early this morning before I was up. Nothing added but a little water and some fat trimmed off.

sandwich1n.jpg

sandwich2k.jpg

floridawildsauce.jpg

porkonbread.jpg

smokedmozza.jpg

Proper POL pic... didn't have any change as the wife and kid had rolled it all up and gone to the bank yesterday. Finally got a few quarters and dimes. The sandwich (my wife's) has been in the fridge for approx. 3 hours. She is 16 weeks pregnant and not hungry today... then again it could be my cooking! LOL

pol70cents.jpg

saugapeppersandwich.jpg

saugapeppersandwich1.jpg

Key, you nailed that one! Props on the homemade bread, and the relish stuff looks great!! I'm going to have to make some of that next time I do italian beef!

TB, as always! Great job.
I have had the pleasure of eating a texas brisket sandwich in a real texas dive. There is a gas station one exit northwest of the Bluebell Ice Cream Creamery (Brenham) that sells some of the best BBQ I've had. I had a sammy that looked very similar to what you just made, and I loved it!

If anyone snickered at the thought of BBQ at a gas station, you've never been to Texas, and for that reason you should lose your AMERICA card!

In the U.S. we have food trucks. In India, vendors line the streets with stalls, selling food and wares. Southern and Eastern India use more rice and noodles, but in Northern and Western India wheat products are used as well. Vegetable sandwiches are very popular fare among customers of the street vendors in Mumbai (formerly Bombay), as well as elsewhere, as the trend is spreading. From what I can tell, the trend originated in Mumbai, most likely because of Western influence.

The actual vegetables used may vary from vendor to vendor, but all use mint coriander (cilantro) chutney and chaat masala, and most use either sliced or mashed potatoes. Something I found surprising is that most use white or wheat bread just like we find in stores here, though it makes sense given the application. My twist was to use sliced garlic bread. Most grill the sandwiches, though a few just toast the bread. Common veggies include potatoe (sliced or mashed), onion, beet root, bell pepper, cucumber, cabbage, and tomatoe. Some use cheese, some don't. Google or YouTube "Indian street food sandwich" or just "Indian street food", and you will come up with this sammie and other popular street food options in India.

Mumbai Masala Sandwich

Sandwich

butter
mint cilantro chutney (below)
chaat masala (below)
bread, 3 slices per sandwich
boiled potatoe, sliced or mashed
tomatoe, sliced
red and green bell pepper, sliced
paneer cheese, grated (paneer is traditional, but provolone, queso blanco or monterey jack/pepper jack could be used)

- Butter both sides of a piece of bread and lay it on a plate.
- Spread chutney on the upper side.
- Add boiled potatoe then add butter around. Sprinkle with chaat masala.
- Add thinly sliced red onion then red bell pepper.
- Spread another slice of bread with butter and chutney, and place on top.
- Add a layer of thinly-sliced tomatoe, sprinkle with more chaat masala, then add sliced green bell.
- Add a thick layer of grated cheese, then top with another slice of bread with butter and chutney.
- Butter the top of the bread.
- Grill 5 - 7 minutes until the cheese has melted and the sandwich is hot throughout.

Mint Coriander Chutney

1 cup fresh mint leaves
1 cup fresh cilantro (aka coriander) leaves
1 or 2 green chiles
1/2 inch ginger
1 tsp cumin
1 - 2 tbsp lemon juice
kala namak (Indian black salt)

Grind in blender until a smooth paste forms, adding a little water if necessary. Note that kala namak isn't actually black, but pink to purplish in color when ground. I found it labeled as "Himalayan" salt.

Masala is simply a spice mix, while chaat masala is a spice mix that includes dried powdered mango. Most vendors mix their own chaat masala according to their individual tastes. If you can't find chaat masala in your area you can make your own, as I did, if you can at least find or make dried mango. Chaat masala has a kind of sweet/sour flavor to it, given by the mango powder, so you might be able to substitute something like tamarind powder instead. If you want to make your own, here are the spices frequently used, which are what I used:

Chaat Masala

dried mango (or amchoor, which is mango powder)
cumin
kala namak (Indian black salt)
coriander seed
ginger
chile powder (I used naga)
asafaetida (also known as hing or fennel)

Grind whatever isn't already in powdered form into a powder. Stir in remaining ingredients.

FD - I'm sure you'll be interested to know that asafaetida is commonly used to reduce flatulence. You might try adding it to whatever you feed Bear (that guy!)

P1010086.JPG

P1010088.JPG

More prep pics below.

Prep pics for the Mumbai Masala Sandwich:

Inside ingredients, veggies and cheese all ready to go
P1010075.JPG

First step: butter both sides of bread then add a layer of mint coriander chutney
P1010076.JPG

Add a layer of potatoe, spread with butter, then sprinkle chaat masala on top
P1010078.JPG

Add onion and red bell
P1010080.JPG

Another slice of bread, buttered and chutneyed on both sides, sprinkled with chaat masala, then tomatoe and green bell
P1010083.JPG

A nice layer of paneer cheese. I think the closest other common cheese is probably provolone.
P1010084.JPG

Final slice of bread, buttered on both sides with chutney also on the inside
P1010085.JPG

One more shot of the final product:
P1010089.JPG

The thing I found curious about the paneer cheese is that even though it is soft it doesn't really melt. Even the shreds that hit the cast iron sizzled and popped; they turned brown but did not melt. Some even popped right out of the skillet!

LunchBox's Heatball Scare-a-nara Sumbitch

Marinara - whole head of garlic browned in evoo, add 1 chopped leek, and some zucchini. When that cooks down a bit, add tomatoes, white wine, and more evoo. When skins start wrinkling, scrape or pull them off with a fork. Add fresh spicy globe basil, sweet basil, greek oregano, rosemarry, thyme, salt, paprika, and optional black pepper. Simmer and reduce for 2-3 hours.

Bread - 1 cup each of white flour and wheat flour. Yeast sugar, and about 3/4 cup of warm water...activate for 5 minutes, then add flour mix, salt, and sugar. Knead, and let set in a covered bowl for 2 hours. Punch it down, roll it out, spin and twist it. Bake at 425 for about 30 minutes...coat (a few times throughought baking) with mixture of melted butter, evoo, garlic powder, and McCormick's Onion Garlic Medley.

Heatballs (meatballs) - 1 pound of ground pork, and 1 pound of ground beef. Mix with fine bread crumbs, fresh onion, fresh garlic, fresh sweet basil, fresh rosemarry, fresh thyme, salt, black pepper, celery salt, paprika, fennel seeds, sage, lots of evoo, and a black naga. Any naga will due, as nagas tend to be a very good chile for adding directly to meats. There is no need for egg in these...the evoo works fine.

Get a skillet piping hot with evoo coating the bottom, and sear the meatballs. When seared on most sides, add in marinara, and a diced 7-Pot. I chose a Trinidad variety for the marinara due to its strong herby, almost floral taste. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30-45 minutes until meatballs are cooked throughout, and sauce is reduced.

Split the bread, and spoon on meatballs, the marinara, and top with parmesan, provolone, and mozzerela. Garnish with coarse chopped basil, and hold on to your hat.

aug td fin3-001.JPG

aug td fin5-001.JPG

I heard London Calling... must be all these Olympics events I can't tear myself away from. Had to make a sandwich that I have heard of from there (well, the UK) that peaked my interest. And I just had to learn what this "brown sauce" is all about.

IMG_5097.jpg

Yep. Made those steak fries the right way... deep fried.

IMG_5095.jpg

G- That really looks delicious! I don't know what the hell it is, but I commend your creativity! Hope it tasted as good as it looks!

LB - Damn Dude!!! Great shots! That looks good and sloppy! That's a finger-licker for sure!!
I loves me a meatball sub!

MORE MORE MORE!!!!!!

G- That really looks delicious! I don't know what the hell it is, but I commend your creativity! Hope it tasted as good as it looks!
Thanks FD! It really was as good as it looks. I would definitely fix this for company, for lunch or dinner.

.... and in the realm of "just doing my yob"....

I've PM'd and chatted with a few on entries that need to be fixed. PoL in a couple cases, posts that need to be split.... If you haven't heard from me and aren't 100% confident your entry meets the rules, please feel free to PM and I'll let you know if a change needs to be made or not. TB, where's your final post???

Here's some of my process on this very simple pub food that is surpisingly satisfying when you have had A LOT to drink. I think the Aussies make something similar.

Chips [steak fries] on buttered bread. Topped with brown sauce, which to me tastes like a mix of A1 steak sauce, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. Also added in some of RocketMan's Ground Zero sauce for some heat.

IMG_5098.jpg

And here's my twist... buttered the top and bottom of the sandwich [It's called a Chip Butty] and pressed it.

IMGP2692.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back