• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Cheesy Weekend II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet Heat Cream Cheese Sorbet

Cream Cheese Sorbet Base

Makes 1 quart

2 cups sugar
2 pounds cream cheese, softened to room temperature
½ cup fresh lime juice
1 vanilla bean (or up to 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract)
½ teaspoon salt

Place cream cheese in a bowl and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until smooth.

Bring sugar and 2 cups water to a boil over high heat and cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and slowly drizzle into cream cheese, whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Stir in lime juice, vanilla bean seeds and salt until smooth. Chill for at least 1 hour.

Process in an ice cream maker, adding mix-ins as desired.  I mixed in crushed Congo Trinidad. Scoop into a freezer-safe container and freeze until the desired firmness is reached.

Homemade Sugar Cups/Cones

5 Tablespoons white sugar
¼ cup brown sugar (packed)
1 large egg
¼ cup milk
2 Tablespoons  melted cooled unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup flour

Mix first 3 ingredients stir in next 3 ingredients then the flour.  5” circles on parchment paper, face-down on baking sheet.  Use 1-1/2 Tablespoons of batter for each cone, spread to edge of each circle. Bake at 325F on rack in middle of oven, turning pan front to back half way through cooking, about 14 to 16 minutes.

Make bowls or cones quickly, using a mold, reheating unmolded discs as needed to keep soft. Allow to cool on molds 10 to 30 minutes.

Topping

Shredded sweetened coconut
Food color
Congo Trinidad powder
Place all in a sealed container and shake vigorously to distribute evenly.

20161211_094428.jpg

The base ready to cool
20161211_100754.jpg

Into the ice cream freezer
20161211_161855.jpg

Batter for the sugar cups
20161211_195838.jpg

This was my first time ever making cups - they could have been made into cone shapes if I had or made a mold. The batter was very thin and had a tendency to run during baking, but they were very crunchy and taste great.
20161211_223756.jpg

20161212_162106.jpg

20161212_163446.jpg

20161212_164509.jpg

Haha - my lame attempt at a drip!
20161212_164630.jpg

This was delicious - something I will definitely make again. The lime juice gave the sorbet a nice tang which the coconut topping complimented. Also, given that dairy can tone down heat, the hot pepper powder mixed in with the coconut upped the overall heat scale nicely. Although this is technically not ice cream, it has the same rich creaminess of ice cream. 

Icecheese!  :clap: Well done! Sure, the sugar cones didn't turn out perfect. Who cares, they have character. And the sorbet more than makes up for it just on looks alone. And the flavor combo of lime, vanilla and Congo powder sounds like something that would make me pee a little. Best ice cream, sorbet or icecheese flavor ever!

Cheese Fiesta!!

My family is crazy about our Mexican food and there are so many good cheesy dishes to chose from, so it was a no-brainer to go this route for me.

I made Flaming cheese appetizer to start off with and then had a chicken wrapped, cheese stuffed, poblano pepper, with a side of home made rice and beans.

The Flaming Cheese
5oz of chorizo
1 medium onion
2 jalapenos
1 roma tomato
A few sprigs of cilantro
1/2 Beerito (Mexican Lager)
16 ozs of cheese (I used a mix of Monteray Jack and White Queso)

Start by browning the chorizo, and then throw in the onions and cook until translucent.  Once those are good, remove the meat and onions to a seperate bowl.  Pour a 1/2 cup of a Mexican lager into the the skillet and heat on med/high heat until it starts to simmer.  At this point add a handful of cheese at a time and stir until its melted.  Continue this until all the cheese is melted.  Once it has melted, stir the chorizo and onions back into the cheese and then top the cheese with chopped jalapenos, tomato, and some cilantro and serve.  We had both chips and tortillas.  I prefer the tortillas and like to make a little cheese wrap out of it.  However, I ate some on the chips too :)

Now for the main course.  

Beans
1 bag of dry pinto beans
oregano
1 onion (1/2 minced/ half whole)
2 cloves of garlic
Salt
6 TBS of bacon grease

In a large pot cover the beans by at least 2 inches of water and add the half onion, 2 tbs of oregano, and the 2 cloves of garlic.  Bring this to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for around 2 hours.  Drain the water out into bowl to save for later, and discard the garlic cloves and onion.  The beans should be pretty tender and creamy and starting to fall apart a little.

Now warm up the bacon grease (lard, butter, or oil are fine) on med/high heat until its hot and toss in the minced onion.  Cook the onion until its translucent and toss the beans into the mixture.  Stir the beans around simmer them in the oil and onions for a couple of minutes then add 1 cup of the reserved bean water and start to mash the beans.  I used a potato masher.  Keep mixing and add more of the liquid if needed a tbs at a time until you get the consistency you want.  Add salt to taste.  I also added a little oregano and cumin as well until the taste was where I wanted it.

Mexican Rice 
2 cups white rice
3 cups of water
1 chicken bullion cube
1 8oz can of tomato sauce
4 tbs oil
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 cup onion chopped 
1 tbs paprika
1/2 tbs chili powder
1/2 tsp of cumin
1 tsp jalapeno powder
salt and pepper

Start by heating the water and bullion and making the broth.  In the pot your going to cook the rice add the oil and brown the rice until it is golden brown.  Make sure to stir it so it won't burn.  Then add the seaonings, garlic, and onion.  After that is stirred up add in the broth and tomato sauce and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes.  Fluff and serve with a couple sprigs of cilantro.

Verde sauce
You could definitely swap out a mole sauce here if you prefer.
2 tbs of oil
5 Tomatillos
3 cloves garlic
1/2 of a large onion 
6 jalapenos
1 bunch of cilantro

Start by heating the oil and sauteing the onions until translucent and putting the tomatillos cut in half down in the skillet to get some char on them.  Flip the tomatillos over and add the jalpenos and garlic and cook until everything smelling real fragrant.  

Once that is done blend up contents of the skillet in a blender and then add the whole bunch of cilantro (cut the majority of the stems off) and blend it all up.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

The chicken
1 whole chicken breast
2 poblano peppers 
brick of monteray jack cheese
cilantro
pepper flakes
corn meal 
taco seasoning
1 egg beaten

My chicken breast were pretty damn huge so I cut them in half to make them a little thinner to start then pounded them down to about 1/2" thickness.  Char your tomatillo (i used the broiler) and then throw them in ice water and peel the skin off.  Then cut them in half long ways.  Take the pounded chicken breast and lay the pepper on it followed by a 3/8 thick slice of cheese and your favorite pepper flakes (i used my smoked aji blend), and some cilantro.  Roll the chicken up and dip into a stirred egg and dip into the mixture of corn meal and taco seasoning.  Repeat and put all of the breast into a shallow pan and bake them at 400 for around 25-35 minutes (depends on how thick your chicken is).  Use a thermometer to check the doneness.  Plate all the food and put the verde sauce on the chicken and dig in  :party:

This meal was freaking awesome!  I was so stuffed after we got done eating, but it was well worth it.  When you got a bite of the chicken, pepper, and cheese it was something magical.  

That has everything I want to see ...

Yeah ... it's the one to beat - *FOR ME* ...

I always learn at poll-time that people update posts after the fact, and there's entries I'd missed altogether too, though  ...

PS - nicely captured, especially enjoy the swirl in the CI ...

Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! 

GRANT!

black_cheese.jpg

searzall_cheese.jpg

grant_cheese_meal.jpg

grant_cheese_dessert.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! Grant! 

GRANT!

I think that qualifies as a Grant Rant. Well done!  :lol:

Baked Brie

Best part about this dessert is how easy it is to make.

Pastry Puff, Brie cheese, butter, brown sugar, Granny Smith apple, dehydrated cranberries, cinnamon, and some habanero honey.

Thaw the puff out and place on a baking stone.

If you have a circle of Brie it's better, but you can cut it up and make a circle. Then add the diced up apple, cranberries, brown sugar, 2 tbs of diced butter, and cinnamon.

Fold the corners in to make a square, and then fold those corners up.

Place in the over at 400F for about 30 mins. Halfway though, pull it out and brush some butter on top to brown then place back in the oven.

Once it's cooked slice a chunk out and dive in.

Gooey

Drizzle the habanero honey. I like mine with some crackers.

Fill it up again!

So good

Easy as that. It's crazy good. Definitely try it out. You will not be disappointed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back