• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Cheesy Weekend I

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was worried these are over cooked but they are still really soft. Just got a dark color to them. 

lJ1UXpE.jpg

Chicken balls dredged through flour, egg and panko and browning in pan before going into oven

BptMFGk.jpg

nzeNFEq.jpg

The sauce simmering in background

hUGFaJ2.jpg

I am new to this, so hopefully I pull off the proper posting ingredients and recipe and picture requirements...

ARTISAN HOOF AND GARDEN MELT

Home baked artisan loaf.

Ingredients:

3 cups all purpose flour
1.5 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp active yeast
1.5 cups warm tap water

DIRECTIONS:

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt and yeast. Stir in water using a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a shaggy but cohesive dough. Do not over-work the dough. The less you "work" it, the more soft, fluffy air pockets will form.
Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let dough sit at room temperature for 3 hours. Dough will bubble up and rise.
After dough is ready, preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place your Dutch oven, uncovered, into the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
While your Dutch oven preheats, turn dough onto a well-floured surface. With floured hands, form the dough into a ball. Cover dough loosely with plastic wrap and let rest.
After the 30 minutes are up, carefully remove Dutch oven. With floured hands, place the bread dough into it. (You can put a piece of parchment under the dough to help place into the dutch oven, no need to remove)
Replace cover and bake for 30 minutes covered. Carefully remove cover and bake for 7-15 minutes more, uncovered.
Remove from Dutch oven and let cool 30 mins before slicing, or until fully cooled.

HOOF AND GARDEN MELT

Ingredients:
Artisan Loaf Thick Sliced
Havarti Cheese
Pepper Jack Cheese
Beef Pastrami
Grilled Sweet onion
Grilled sliced Cabbage
Beer Mustard 
Worcester sauce
Choc. Moruga powder
Softened Butter.
Black Pepper

DIRECTIONS

Prepare and slice ingredients, Bread, onion, cabbage, cheese..
Pan sear Cabbage slices with .5 tsp butter...make sure to keep slightly firm texture, remove to plate.

Pan sear Onion in butter to brown, then add 1.5 tsp worcester sauce...continue to sear until pan is dry and onions are carmelized, remove to plate with resting cabbage.

Now Build the Melt:
Lightly butter 1 side of each slice...turn over. with butter side down apply the beer mustard to both sides.
Then lay a strip of each cheese onto the Beer mustard.
Next layer in the seared Cabbage, and then the seared Onions and another strip of each cheese to the mustard on the other slice.

Now layer the Beef Pastrami over the cheese slices and top with another strip of the Havarti. (I only used Havarti to get a good melt with the softer cheese in the middle)

Gently place the two halves together and season top buttered slice with Choc. Moruga powder

I have a Panini press, so what the heck...I used it.
Place onto Panini Grill and set temp to Med High...grill 5-7 mins or until cheese in melted and desired toasted grill marks are achieved.

Serve...I paired it with an apricot and Scotch bonnet ale.

The Money Shot

Masher said:
I am new to this, so hopefully I pull off the proper posting ingredients and recipe and picture requirements...

ARTISAN HOOF AND GARDEN MELT

Home baked artisan loaf.

Ingredients:

3 cups all purpose flour
1.5 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp active yeast
1.5 cups warm tap water

DIRECTIONS:

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt and yeast. Stir in water using a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a shaggy but cohesive dough. Do not over-work the dough. The less you "work" it, the more soft, fluffy air pockets will form.
Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let dough sit at room temperature for 3 hours. Dough will bubble up and rise.
After dough is ready, preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place your Dutch oven, uncovered, into the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
While your Dutch oven preheats, turn dough onto a well-floured surface. With floured hands, form the dough into a ball. Cover dough loosely with plastic wrap and let rest.
After the 30 minutes are up, carefully remove Dutch oven. With floured hands, place the bread dough into it. (You can put a piece of parchment under the dough to help place into the dutch oven, no need to remove)
Replace cover and bake for 30 minutes covered. Carefully remove cover and bake for 7-15 minutes more, uncovered.
Remove from Dutch oven and let cool 30 mins before slicing, or until fully cooled.

HOOF AND GARDEN MELT

Ingredients:
Artisan Loaf Thick Sliced
Havarti Cheese
Pepper Jack Cheese
Beef Pastrami
Grilled Sweet onion
Grilled sliced Cabbage
Beer Mustard 
Worcester sauce
Choc. Moruga powder
Softened Butter.
Black Pepper

DIRECTIONS

Prepare and slice ingredients, Bread, onion, cabbage, cheese..
Pan sear Cabbage slices with .5 tsp butter...make sure to keep slightly firm texture, remove to plate.

Pan sear Onion in butter to brown, then add 1.5 tsp worcester sauce...continue to sear until pan is dry and onions are carmelized, remove to plate with resting cabbage.

Now Build the Melt:
Lightly butter 1 side of each slice...turn over. with butter side down apply the beer mustard to both sides.
Then lay a strip of each cheese onto the Beer mustard.
Next layer in the seared Cabbage, and then the seared Onions and another strip of each cheese to the mustard on the other slice.

Now layer the Beef Pastrami over the cheese slices and top with another strip of the Havarti. (I only used Havarti to get a good melt with the softer cheese in the middle)

Gently place the two halves together and season top buttered slice with Choc. Moruga powder

I have a Panini press, so what the heck...I used it.
Place onto Panini Grill and set temp to Med High...grill 5-7 mins or until cheese in melted and desired toasted grill marks are achieved.

Serve...I paired it with an apricot and Scotch bonnet ale.

The Money Shot

Nice first entry. Bread looks great too.

Cheesy Chicken Meatball Hoagies 
 ​
 ​
iIPFDH1.jpg

Hoagie Rolls

[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]1 envelope (7-8 grams or about 2 tsp) active dry yeast (not instant yeast)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]4 tsp sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]3 cups all purpose flour + a little more for kneading[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]1½ tsp salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]1⅓ cups lukewarm water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]2 tbsp olive oil, plus a little more to brush on the rolls[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]1 jalapeno[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]1 cup shredded cheddar cheese. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Directions[/SIZE]
1.       In a small bowl or measuring cup, dissolve 1 tsp sugar in ⅓ cup of the lukewarm water
Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let stand for 10-15 minutes until the yeast activates and becomes foamy.
2.       Meanwhile combine the flour, 3 tsp sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attached.
3.       Add the proofed yeast and the remaining 1 cup lukewarm water.
4.       Mix on low speed until the dough has been kneaded for at least 5 minutes before adding the olive oil and thins sliced jalapeno letting it work its way into the dough.
5.       Turn the dough out onto a very lightly floured bread board or counter top.
6.       Knead the dough by hand for at least 5 minutes after it comes out of the stand mixer, remembering to use as little flour as possible.
7.       Use the heel of your hand to stretch the dough across the kneading surface in a sort of smearing action, then fold the dough back over itself, turn it around a half turn and do the same again. Keep repeating this action for at least five to 10 minutes to develop good gluten in the dough. The dough should appear relatively smooth but still a little sticky to the touch.
8.       Lightly oil a large bowl with olive oil, place the dough inside, cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit in a warm place for at least an hour until the dough doubles in size.
9.       Again on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough back into a ball and cut into 6 equal pieces.
10.   Form the dough pieces into about 5 inch lengths and place them a couple of inches apart on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. You can dust the parchment with yellow cornmeal if you like but it shouldn't stick to the parchment paper in any case.
11.   Very lightly brush the formed rolls with olive oil. Dust the tops with a little cornmeal
12.   Drape the cookie sheet loosely with plastic wrap and let the rolls rise in a warm place for at least another hour until they at least double in size. You don't want to rush the dough rising at this stage or else your rolls will be too dense.
13.   Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. The oven MUST be fully preheated. Place a small tray of boiling water in the back corner of the oven. I used an aluminum pie plate. This causes humidity inside the oven, which helps the bread fully rise before forming a crust.
14.   Bake for 10 minutes before reducing the heat to 400 degrees F Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes until the rolls are an even golden brown. They should sound hollow then tapped with your finger.
15.   Let them cool on a wire rack before serving as fresh as possible

lJ1UXpE.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]Cheesy Chicken Meat Balls[/SIZE]

• 1lb ground chicken
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 tsp ground pepper
  • 1/2 tbs fennel seed
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1tsp tony cachuras seasoning
  • loads of cheddar cheese curds
  • 2 cups panko 
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tbs butter
  • 1 jalapeno diced
Directions
  1. ​in a small skillet melt butter and add jalapeno, garlic and onion saute until onion is translucent. 
  2. place ground chicken in a large bowl, season with pepper, tony cachuras, fennel and any other desired seasoning. 
  3. add sauteed garlic, onion and jalapeno. Mix thoroughly. 
  4. Shape chicken into golfball sized meatballs, make an indentation in the center with thumb and press in a cheese curd. reform into ball. 
  5. Once all meatballs have been formed roll them in flour, dredge through beaten egg and then roll in panko crumbs to get a nice coating. 
  6. Heat small amount of olive oil in a medium pan. Place meatballs in pan and brown on each side until a crispy golden brown. 
  7. preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake meatballs for 15 minutes. 
  8. remove from oven, can either dunk meatballs into marinara sauce or spoon sauce over them once in the hoagie. I prefer spooning to maintain some of the meatballs crispness
b5KEOLA.jpg

BptMFGk.jpg

J407yEj.jpg

For the cheese sauce, melt 1 tsp of butter in a small pot, whisk in 1 tbs flour and whisk for one minute, slowly add in 1/2 cup of milk. Whisk constantly for 4-5 minutes until milk thickens. Add mozzarella and shredded italian cheese and whisk until all cheese is melted and pulls nice. 

Place meatballs in hoagie roll, spoon marinara over meatballs and then spoon melted cheese sauce over hoagie. 

IMKgam5.jpg

avtsYEz.jpg

aJC3PNe.jpg

UCdZtQV.jpg

Oh hell make some sliders before midnight and post the PoL lol.

​NACHOS!!!  'Nuf Said~

Ingredients-
Tail ends of a couple bags of chips
Mexican Blend cheese, or whatever's in the fridge
Hot Sauce- whatever's in the fridge
Sour Cream (or not~)
Green Onions (or not~)

Spread the chips on an oven safe plate./  Generously sprinkle cheese over the chips.  Bake at 375F for about 13 minutes (or microwave for 2:33 minutes).

Top with hot sauce, and your choice of sauces, salsa, guac, or whatever's in the refer.

IMG_5623.JPG

IMG_5624.JPG

IMG_5627.JPG

IMG_5626.JPG

IMG_5636.JPG

IMG_5637.JPG

IMG_5638.JPG

And a plate for the 'Kid with Sweet Spicy Girl
IMG_5632.JPG

Today's refer selections are-
Dank Sauce Spicy Nopal Cactus
Burns & McCoy Especia Rojo