• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Bayou Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brother Infeel your pain! :fire:

Edit: It's Teaser time

An dat be some bodacious, bubalicious kind of good lookin Roux. Dem gona make for some happy teeth tonight, I garenteeeeee!

1e86d540.jpg

and it only took 75 minutes of stiring :woohoo:

Making a roux at 4:30 in the morning.....

You are my new hero!

well I was going to do pompano, but apparently thats not cajun enough to make the list of protein :rollseyes:

...well, the word got out about me cooking, so we have a herd of kids and grandkids coming over to eat, so I'm going to have to make a spread to feed them.

...dang it, I was looking forward to leftovers. :banghead:

Five dishes that fall within the categories. Teaser coming soon... :cheers:

Here's the beginning of my "Big-Three Jambalaya". I have OCD, and one of my triggers is the number 3. So, there are 3 meats - turkey, andouille (both smoked over Texas Pecan) and shrimp. I'm also using "trinity" bells, celery, and onion...and my (3) chile choices are cayenne, scotch bonnets (home dried and crushed), and jalapenos. It's also made in 3 main steps - roux, meat, then mix.

*FYI - I included pics of the sesonings used in the pics where appropriate.

Here's the turkey...smoked and deboned it yesterday, along with the andouille...which was at the far right corner of the smoker...not in the pic.

dectdturkey.jpg

The ingredients:
dectd1.jpg

The roux:

A stick of butter, & flour for the first 15 minutes or so...then adding cayenne, dried scotch bonnets, paprika, salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder, a little dijon mustard, and some worcesteshire sauce. For the next hour (stirring all the while), I heat it until it starts to bubble, then, remove from heat...over and over again, until it's almost a paste. *Personl preference thing going on there.

dectd2.jpg

Then my son walked into the kitchen (as usual), and grabbed some veggies off the cutting board (as usual)...and took a big bite out of it...

dectd5.jpg

For some damn reason, the dog was fascinated by this...

dectd3.jpg

Sautee the garlic, then add the meat trio with a little added onion, and jalapeno:

dectd6.jpg

Then add the roux and stir up for a minute:

dectd7.jpg

Dump it all back in the roux pot and add the bell/celery/onion trio. Heat on high; mix constantly for about 10 minutes:

dectd8.jpg

Then add a chicken bouillon cube dissolved in a cup of water, and a can of petite diced tomatoes:

dectd9.jpg

...aaaaand...let this simmer for a few hours.

I'll post up when it's brewed".

Daaaaaaaaayyyyyuuuuuummmmmm.

Well here's the pile of delectable ingredients and now the fun begins. Ain't gonna screw the pooch on this one and miss the post by minutes. Can't wait to see what everybody's cookin up, this is gonnna be a goodin.

LB, beautiful lookin pot of lovelyness simmerin :cheers:

fyki7n.jpg

Oops left out the garlic

Dang y'all making me hungry!

I'm planning on setting this place on fire tomorrow, so stand by I can't wait to jump in.

Keep it up y'all, I'm loving the competition so far. :onfire:

Hmm the andouille you guys have been using look a lot like what I can find in the stores around here labeled as "polish sausage" and sometimes just "Smoked sausage". Out of curiosity I looked in most the grocery stores, and a few specialty shops and didn't find any andouille. Do think that the "polish sausage" or "Smoked sausage" we have here that looks similar is anything like andouille sausage?

For some damn reason, the dog was fascinated by this...

dectd3.jpg

Is that a Sheltie? If so it may be a breed thing as mine has acted the same way before. But then I have yet to meet a dog that doesn't watch everything going on in the kitchen very intently!

DQ, I may be crucified for saying this, but here goes. Here in Ohio you can find, Johnsonville sausages and they make a Louisiana style sausage that I think is as close to andouille as you can get. The main difference is the spices and the density of the sausage.

Here is what I'm talking about:
threeOhSeven.png

Hmm the andouille you guys have been using look a lot like what I can find in the stores around here labeled as "polish sausage" and sometimes just "Smoked sausage". Out of curiosity I looked in most the grocery stores, and a few specialty shops and didn't find any andouille. Do think that the "polish sausage" or "Smoked sausage" we have here that looks similar is anything like andouille sausage?

There are a couple of butcher shops here in Fresno that make they're own Andoullie, but they rotate different kinds of sausages and didn't have any this time around. The ones I got above are available in the supermarkets, but you can't beat what's available in So. LA. Guess it's all up to THP this time

24eat8k.jpg

Is that a Sheltie? If so it may be a breed thing as mine has acted the same way before. But then I have yet to meet a dog that doesn't watch everything going on in the kitchen very intently!

He's a cross between a Red Healer, and a Short-Haired Collie.

DQ...my sausage was cheap...lol...it even said "Andouille Style". I generally won't smoke, or 'use in a recipe' premium cuts of sausage...kinda like when I'm mixing rum...it's Bacardi Select...when I want quality to appreciate by itself...I buy the good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back