• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Bayou Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
And just because these are so great,

1983 FIRST EDITION Mari Gras Beer!

2c757754.jpg

still in the original plastic 6-pack ring holder thingy.

Crazy Creole shenannigans from da SoFlo posse!!!

Sammich looks amazing!!!

....but what's with the rubber band on the beer can?

You know how we do it! The FD homestead is full of silly bands thanks to Frydaughter. I use them to signify my beer from hers... hahaha!

Thanks! Not real familiar with them. Publix? ;)

That things looks killer. How long was it?

That's what she said.

Yep Publix. The bathrooms there are nuts!

Sammy was over 24", but was cut into multiple smaller wiches. This thing could feed eight people... more if I was Jesus.

Much obliged and yall are welcome. While most hard core hot sauce folks booo the Crystal with its vinegary cayenne flavor, for this food...it just works! I can dig it, 'specially on teh oysters! The fried okra were tasty love nuggets! Bugs and shrimps? Underwater cockroaches never tasted so good! And the oyster po'boy crustini's? Three words...GOOD 'GAWD YALL!!

great looking food. can you put some on dry ice and ship to illinois?

WOW! I take off for a couple hours to cook and the whole thread doubles!

Took me 38 minutes just to get caught up before posting. and WOW! There are some great entries in this TD-

DuvallDave, make sure you get the ingredients etc posted in ONE POST! Awesome po'boy.

Everyone else.....just one word...WOW!

Did I say WOW yet?!? :lol:

ps thanks pk, lc and pf. lc come one over! we have leftovers! :lol:

I don't think I'll have to cook again until Thursday.

Ok, Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you
Chicken Sauce Picante a la Throwdown with Orange Pecan Hab Wild Rice Mix.

This is my breakdown of ingredients

Pick at least one main ingredient:
1. Catfish
2. Gator (or croc, for Aussies)
3. Shellfish (crawfish, shrimp, blue crab, or oysters only)
4. Pork (andouille, tasso, or chaurice only)
5. Poultry (chicken, turkey, or duck only)

(You must limit the protein ingredients to the above and not add additional meat, fish, etc.)

Pick at least two additional ingredients:
1. Okra
2. Corn
3. Rice
4. Tomatoes
5. Pecans

(You may also add whatever else you want as long as you pick two, and do not add additional meat, fish, etc. except what is listed in section 1.)

Pick at least one Cajun/Creole staple:
1. Roux
2. Trinity (green bell peppers, onion, celery)
3. Crab/Shrimp/Crawfish boil (spices)
4. Creole Mustard
5. Filé Powder

Pick at least one cooking method:
1. Grill/Smoke
2. Fry (deep or sauté)
3. Étouffée
4. Boil
5. Stew

Mandatory ingredients:
Cayenne pepper, and one hotter pepper (in any form).

And this is how it was done.

First the stars of the meal
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd507/William_Thornton/Throwdown/100_2109.jpg

Dust the chicken thighs with Cajun seasonings
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd507/William_Thornton/Throwdown/100_2110.jpg

Dredge in flour and into the saute pan where half EVOO and Butter are waiting.
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd507/William_Thornton/Throwdown/100_2113.jpg

Once the chicken is browned and pulled to a plate the finely chopped Andouille Sausage goes in for 2 minutes to warm then removed to a plate. Add Brandy to deglaze the pan.
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd507/William_Thornton/Throwdown/100_2121.jpg

Then BAM!!!!!!
100_2120.jpg

When flames die out set the pan to the side and bring out the Trinity.
100_2122.jpg

Add diced scalions and parsley and into the roux on med heat.
100_2123.jpg

We need some Garlic in here!
100_2124.jpg

3 cups of Water and 1 cup of wine.
100_2125.jpg

Some Cayanne, salt, pepper, and dried mint.
100_2126.jpg

Return the Andouille and the chicken, cover and simmer 2 hours or more.
100_2127.jpg

When close to serving it time to prepare the rice. I like the Royal rice blend which has Wild, Brown, Red and White rice. 2 cups of rice with Chicken Stock and butter go into the pot and bring it to a boil.
100_2128.jpg

When rice is finished add orange zest, orange juice and coursely chopped Pecans. (Sorry Pic here wouldn't copy over)
When served sprinkle Habanero slivers over the top.

And dinner is served.
100_2130.jpg

I like to cook with wine, sometimes I even put some into the food.
100_2116.jpg

Bon Appetit!!

Looks like 10 pics is the max. Better do some editing.

Andouille? Yes we do.

This was a tough one. With all this brain warping terminology and rules... SoFlo had to bust out the Excel spreadsheets and bust out our inner-dorkiness. And by Excel spreadsheets I mean dart-boards... and inner-dorkiness is universally know as total awesomeness. Of the protein choices I had to go with shrimp & andouille. Okra is a fav as well as tomatoes, so had to include them. The trinity with some garlic & salt/cayenne powder, plus the okra and tomatoes boiled down and reduced to pure sweet tenderness... nothing better. Grilled andouille... boiled/steamed shrimp in cayenne'd old bay... Are you kidding me??? And for the heat: a nice smothering of creole mustard and some grill-roasted finger hots!
SoFlo had it goin' on, tough TD or not.

Boiling down the trinity for a good half hour with some fresh chopped garlic & salt.
IMG_2960.jpg

Added in the tomatoes and the okra to the mix. Slowed to a simmer and let this reduce to sweet pasty goodness. I think this is a re-mix of HotStuff's basic gumbo minus the meat.
IMG_2966.jpg

Grilled andouille and finder hots. Perfect.
IMG_2969.jpg

Poppied French bread with halved grilled andouille. This is the beginning of the build.
IMG_2970.jpg

Cooling the shkrumps so they can be peeled without burning the s out of our hands.
IMG_2972.jpg

Skrumpped gewdness!
IMG_2973.jpg

Hoary-morrey... nothing left to say.
IMG_2980.jpg

IMG_2981.jpg

A little SoCo for good measure.
IMG_2983.jpg

SoFlo

I'd love to have one of these!

I forgot to put the proof of life in my teasers so I'm skipping straight to the dish!

Shrimp Creole

shrimpcreole.jpg

Started with the trinity
then tomatoes diced and pureed
added bay leaf, garlic, salt, cayenne, thyme, parsley, salt
then the shrimps go in.
Put rice on a dish and fashion a hole in the center.
Pour dish into the hole.
Finished the plating with with Christmas colors--red and green Thai hots diced and sprinkled on.

All these dishes look great, but something like what HS has here is straight to the point, and probably more realistic than some of the very elaborate concoctions. Hat's off to you...and I don't mean any of this as a slant to others...but to me, this is a home F'ing run.

Here's my 1st entry:

Buddy's Cajanadas (Cajun Enchaladas):

Fried enchaladas filled with creole sauce combined with shrimp, andouille, and rice with grilled corn salsa and a margarita (of course)

P1020229.jpg

P1020231.jpg

Wasn't sure going in what this would taste like, but I was really happy with the result. Hope everyone enjoys this as much as I did while making and dining on it.

But on the other hand...this one is SO awesomely out of the box...I think it should be DQ'd. Not to be mean, or picky, but home-boy here didn't follow the ingredients list. NO WHERE does it say you may substitute WIN for everything else...so...you know... :cool:

Allright. Here goes my quick teaser.
Please, nobody repost this, as has been the trend this TD. I'm about to post my final pics which can be reposted as often as you like.
Leave the teaser alone, dammit.

FD

IMGP1195.jpg

SoFleaux Buffaleaux Drumsticks with Fried Eauxkra
We gon' make sumtin GUUUUDDDDDD.
Made me a roux.
Added sum tomato an jalapeno
Mary-nated sum drumsticks wit ole bay skrimp boil
Grilled em up gewd. Hit em wit smoked hab powder (sum made it)
Fried me up sum okras.
Ate it up till it was all gone.
Y'all like dat, cause it was, den I was like, chicory?

Light Roux with Tomato and Jalapeno
IMGP1199.jpg

Old Bay Marinated Chicken on the grill
IMGP1197.jpg

Made a buffalo sauce from the roux
IMGP1203.jpg

Proof of life, bayou beeyatch, on the Grilled chicken, hot off the burner
IMGP1227.jpg

Okras, bout to go in the hot earl
IMGP1211.jpg

Boo Ya!!!
IMGP1219.jpg

IMGP1222.jpg

IMGP1223.jpg

IMGP1224.jpg

That was fun. Good luck everyone.

Frog Legs.
Fd

Buffalo roux drumsticks with fried okra... interesting one. Looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back