• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Bayou Battle II - Roux'd Boy Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfect color on the roux

13020032383_992fe13031_o.jpg

Sweat the trinity

13020237584_2c066ac347_o.jpg

Add the beef broth.... or as we say it down here...... beef brawt.

13019997263_958115edff_o.jpg

Lookin' good KBK.... lovin' the gumbo sammich! Bad boy looks tasty!

Okay , so after going over ideas for awhile, I decided the best idea was to keep it simple. I wanted authentic Louisiana.... and truth be told, there just aren't a whole lot of po' boys we run around putting gravy on. An etouffee topped crab cake po' boy would have been the bomb, but I decided to go with a Louisiana classic. If there's one po'boy down here that people hold a sense of reverence about, it's a roast beef po' boy. I made this one "debris" style. Debris refers to the way the beef is cut (shreds/pieces/parts) - as in "all of the loose beef from the bottom of the pan"

I gave it my own signature with the open-faced, grilled baby swiss and Meunster cheese.

Open-Faced Roast Beef Slo' Boy

Chuck roast stuffed with garlic and seasoned with pink Himalayan salt, fresh cracked black pepper, and garlic powder
Roasted @ 350° F until fork tender (about 4 hrs)

Gravy:

Equal parts vegetable oil/all purpose flour (1.5 cups each - appprox.)
Simmer on medium low, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
At the desired color, add holy trinity (red onions, celery, red and yellow bell pepper).... also added crushed garlic

Sweat veggies for about 5 mins in roux, then add beef broth (4 cups)
Season with salt, pepper, paprika, smoked scotch bonnet powder and let cook to desired consistency

Pull the roast into shreds and add the roast to the gravy to continue cooking/tenderizing.

Served on french bread, open-faced with toasted baby swiss and meunster cheese.

13021454363_b5f562857b_o.jpg

13021234433_fb304fef29_o.jpg

13021054665_d379cc3e3e_o.jpg

You done killer but utilize those two extra pics!

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!  Hubby and I were talking and the roux thing came up and then it was a 'roo thing......

:rofl:   Someone from OZ could TOTALLY  ace this!!!!!

I'm in this!  Shrimps be calling out to me.....

Lemme' take you to funky town y'all.

OOPS.

Knife fell and chopped up some sheeit.

Axedently' dropped some butter in a sauce pan with some flour and it turned into a rude blonde.

Then I spilled the chopped up stuff (hey there's chorizo in there, What the hell?)

Might as well add some heavy cream and jack & cheddar scheeze too.

Splish Splash Shrimps takin' a 'baff in butter and Crystal Hot Sauce.

Out of the 'baff and onto a bread mattress.

OOPSIES AGAIN.

Spilled chorizo con queso all over ever 'thang.

Final tomfoolishnessessess to come.

TB's Rude Chorizo Con Queso Shrimp Po' Boy

The Queso

Golden blonde roux made with butter and flour to which was added chorizo, onion, jalapeno & fresno chile, heavy cream, shredded jack & cheddar cheeses, Crystal Hot Sauce, and sea salt.

The Roll

Whole wheat roll split and drizzled with olive oil and lightly toasted on the stove top comal.

The Shrimps

Texas Gulf white 16/20 shrimps sauteed in butter and Crystal Hot Sauce.

Come get some!

With extry queso for added deliciousnessessess.

Yer' mouf' + this po'boy = makuh teh seks!

Pao.

JayT said:
Oh my!!!! Between that and what Phil has done, I am thinking I should just keep my roux stirrin' spoon in my pocket...
I have everything needed to go all in but I am with you, going to use the shrimp for something else. Just cannot get into soggy Po' Boys. Fantastic job thus far peeps!

THAT IS ROUX'D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what it's about. Yup, I think I started something here. Phil, let me know if these starting appearing on menus. :lol:

Y'all are taking this concept and KILLING IT!

Phil, do you have a pic of the roast itself or slices? It can help your final post. All 3 of the same thing, let's see something different! That thing is awesome.

Actually the first pic shows the beef good, I see you put a bit on top. It's all good, but the next two look the same, you could add one of the roast or slices for the impact. It's all about what makes people's mouth water.

TB, good pics.

Oh then no worries, I see the beef in pic 1 and it looks delicious.

In fact this is on my list, still watching how it unfolds.

Quick trip to the market and the mayhem begins!

Most of the goods-  Really wanted those 4-6 shrimps...but they were $$$$, settled for 16-20s.
IMG_2326.JPG

Check out the beer from our local brewery!
IMG_2327.JPG

And in honor of Paulky_2000, The Seafood TD King who is back stateside now....Welcome Home, Amigo!  :cheers:
IMG_2329.JPG

Back to cooking~~~

Heavy hitters getting ROUX'D!

SoFlo and SL jumped in?

Oh well.

Won't be first time I've taken an ass whoopin'.

Rock it Ann and Sum!!!

Bring on y'alls shrimpy hotness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back