• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying beef jerky !!

Hi Guys,
I just ordered a dehydrator to make some beef jerky and been looking thru the recipes here on THP and noticed most of them used dried peppers. Have any of you tried using chopped up fresh peppers? Do I need to dry some peppers first ?

You can use fresh peppers in your marinade. I usually do and then sprinkle powder on right before going into the dehydrator.

Yeah thats what i normally do too Jay. If you only have fresh peppers don't worry as these will dry out with the jerky anyway ;)

As JayT said, you can use what ever you want in the marinade/rub but you should only use dried chillis when the meat is ready to go into the deydrator, and it would be better if is ground pretty fine (IMO).

Don't Sprinkle dried herbs on the meat before it gets dried cause you will end up with all this chunky dried horrible tasting crap all over the meat....Just think to yourself......"will this ingredient still taste good on the meat after being dried at medium temps for long periods"? Most of the time the answer is no...

Have fun mate

Back