• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Are my cayenne peppers too big?

Hi all,
Last tear my red cayenne peppers were about 3 to 4 inches long and no more than 1/2 inch wide. These ones here have some ripe 3 or 4 inch ones and quite a few 6 inch one at 3/4 inch wide. I'm kinda disapointed because i dry my cayennes and jar them. Are these just a different phenotype or something? Hope they have some good heat at least:onfire:
IM002270.jpg

They look pretty wide to me. I'll post mine later tonight. I think that mine almost ripen from the bottom up. And once you get past the first few of the season they typically go between 8 - 15 cm in length and 1 cm wide.

sixstring75 said:
They look pretty wide to me. I'll post mine later tonight. I think that mine almost ripen from the bottom up. And once you get past the first few of the season they typically go between 8 - 15 cm in length and 1 cm wide.
Mine do the exact same thing. The longer they are, the more pepper free of membrane or placental tissue (at least my first ones). But as you work your way to the top of the pepper, the heat's there in spades.

Back