• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

aphids

I tried coffee (only a little) around a couple plants and I swear I think the ants have bailed already. I'll try more and see how it goes. Chemicals as a last resort I say!

I tried the soap spray and never had any luck, Personally i found a great solution by general hydroponics that is OMRI listed.

Its called AzaMax and can be little expesnive but personally it works great. I usally spray and dont see them again.

generalhydroponics.com/genhydro_US/azamax.html

I tried the soap spray and never had any luck, Personally i found a great solution by general hydroponics that is OMRI listed.

Its called AzaMax and can be little expesnive but personally it works great. I usally spray and dont see them again.
I walked out back a few days ago- day after they cut the grass....looked like someone had been sanding fiberglass(aphids en masse) over 2 plots, the rest were fine.
I responded with coffee, thorough soaking and then neem oil soap.Took about 3 days to see a severe drop in aphids and the ant population.Will do a second treatment in another day or so to get any hatched eggs.If you don't score direct hits on the aphids with the soap, they will laugh at you.
Imperative to get the leaf undersides - I spray from inside (nozzle facing up and out, 360 degrees)work up , then nail the outsides going back down.
The coffee alkaloids thing bears watching....neem oil works the same way,-absorption from soil builds up alkaloids in the plant tissues. Direct contact is merely suffocation from the soap.

I sat here and red this hole post, the coffee grounds works good, soap works good as I said here about 1000 times use Ivory or Murphy's soap they are soap not DETERGENT and the guy that used dawn should have his growing space taken away from him.Yes DETERGENT KILLS PLANTS. Neem and ivory works and aways has when applied right . citrus works for ants boil up some cool and spray. what most people are looking is the easiest way out, if you can't buy it a Lowe's it don't work .open your minds a little. I have Been growing for 10 years organic or like i call it natural soil growth with all my own home made sprays and nutes guess what no bugs. if it will kill all bugs it will kill good-ones too. and your soil. so please think about it before you spray your store bought shit.

Last year I didn't have no problems with these aphids, This yr they are killing me and stunting my grow..I got a solution from ACE hardware ( a Natural ) which works (BUT} I have to keep doing it to often, and again the plants seem to stale mate..Is there something special I can use or what?
Thanx ahead of time to all...Dave Macon Ga...

i had that problem. dont use pestacide. it killed all of my plants last year......

u will need natural predators.

but since your in georgia as well what chilis do you grow?

i had that problem. dont use pestacide. it killed all of my plants last year......

u will need natural predators.

but since your in georgia as well what chilis do you grow?

I have a good idea, find some one on here who has naga/ bhot jolokia powder and mix it in a windex bottle and u got natural pestacide.

Wow the coffe method seems very nice, I´ll give it a try.
Haha the Aphids seem to die off caffeine poisoning( I guees I would die to if I would intake that much caffeine)
And It is natural, too. Currently I use natural Pyrethrum from Tanacetum Chrysanthemes, it works pretty well, but its quite expensive and still not very healthy. I also used fermented Stinging Nettles but the smell was too overwhelming, and Jicama beans, which ended with the aphids dead and me throwing up...
BR
Jan

I'm using the natural stuff as well, I might have just been lucky but it worked perfectly for me. I'm using 'Earth tone insect control', it contains pyrethrins & conola oil; the pyrethrins is supposedly diluted enough so it's safe for consumable vegetation. Can't tell you anything else technical about it but it did work. Not sure if this contributed but I also sprayed the underside of the leaves.

EDIT: just read the above post about coffee, that sounds cool, definitely stick with that if it really works. Im going to give that a try if I ever have a problem again.

Back