• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone growing "Facing Heaven" Peppers

chao tian

herne_the_hunter said:
"Facing Heaven Pepper" which I cannot seem to find locally.

In the bay area there should be many sources. Maybe they don't like gaijin. Try asking for 'chao tian' or looking for these characters on the package.

Do you have a good source of Sichuan pepper for true authenticity?

Great information. Its off to the chinese store this weekend armed with a photograph

"Do you have a good source of Sichuan pepper for true authenticity?"

My chinese friend at work said its not hard to find but I havent tried to find any yet. It was just the Chiles I was struggling with.

i'm not sure if it's the same thing, but i picked this up at an Asian market in Jersey today. You actually inspired me to go look. I think this is similar. I was so happy to find them that i picked up two bags. $2 per bag. You can't get better than that. I think i'm going to see if any sprout. Maybe give em a grow, ya know?

IMG_0324.jpg

i have grown chao tian jiao (朝天椒, "facing heaven"), awesome variety for the kitchen in szechuan cuisine (indispensable for kung pao!) and else. very prolific variety. got the seeds in yokohama's chinatown. here's some pics

szechuan011-1.jpg
szechuan031-1.jpg
szechuan041-1.jpg

Back