• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Anyone got a good soup recipe?

Try this one Mel. It's Greek and has the right flavours for a sore throat.

Avgolemno. Egg Lemon soup.

Serves 1 really hungry person or normally two

2 C chicken consomme (not stock)
1/4 c uncooked white rice
1 lemon
1 clove garlic
2 eggs
1 chicken breast
parsley for garnish
serve with fresh crusty french stick

Bring 2 c water to boil, add chicken and boil 2 minutes. Drain water and rinse scum off chicken. Bring consomme to boil add chciken, lower heat to gentle simmer and cook 30 minutes. Remove, cool and shred chicken. Reserve.

Add rice and garlic to simmering consomme and cook.

Zest whole lemon and juice. Mix zest, juice (all) and eggs. Whisk until creamy. Pour 1/2 c consomme into lemon egg mix then mix well and pour that mix back into the simmering consomme while stirring the whole time. Gently cook until soup thickens and texture becomes velvety. About 2-3 minutes.

Add shredded chicken and garnish with parsley.

Serve with french stick sliced diagonally and grilled on one side. Lightly rub a clove of garlic on toasted side and brush uncooked side with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with sea salt.

Cheers.

Search can be such a funny thing....

I was looking for a soup thread a few weeks ago, but Search didn't come up with this one, so I started a new one: The Soup Thread. Now this one pops up today,.... must have shown up for someone else! At any rate, yeah, I hope Mel is feeling much, much better, now that it's about a year and a half since she posted this! :)

Great-sounding soup, DTS, think I'll give it a try next weekend!

enter SANCOCHO in your search engine

these soups are wonderful,very easy to make hearty and you can do different variations and go very well with hot peppers in them

thanks your friend joe

Black bean soup with andouille sausage and chopped onions on top. Spice it up however you like. Great soup.

I did a search and this thread showed up for me, geeme. I
had a question about broth-making but ended up posting the
soup I made which was almost the exact same thing paulky
had made. Of course my post ended up at the bottom of Page
1 where it will languish in obscurity until the next time
someone searches soup subjects.

Darn good looking soup there robbie! I make mine pretty close to youand Paulky but instead of throwing the veggies that I use for the stock I puree them and add back to stock then add the new veggies for the soup.

Good Eats!
RM

Back