• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

annuum anybody have experience with the Jalapeno Gigante?

I see the Jalapeno Gigante is being sold this year at Burpee. Anyone have experience growing it, and an opinion on the taste? I have a weak spot for gigantic medium-hot or very-hot Jalapenos; hoping this one fits the bill to go with my Biker Bills, Grande Hybrids and Organic Jal Earlys.

I bought 2 seedlings last year from a local nursery. They were my smallest and least productive plants. I also had regular jalapenos and those pods were bigger than the "gigante." (they were also growing right next to each other in a raised bed)
The pods were a much more pale green than the regulars before they turned red. Flavor and heat was similar. I won't be growing them again.

Oh yeah, and I also grew a Burpee "pinot noir" which is a purple or egg plant colored bell pepper. They were extremely thin walled and almost tasteless. Although I also grew a Burpee "zavory" pepper which is a very mild habanero and that one was very good. The plant was HUGE and I got hundreds of pods from it. It has very mild heat but good flavor. I liked that plant so much that I'm overwintering it.

I have 3 burpee hot lemons and they produced nicely, i purchased the first plant for $2.99 and babied it. it did really well and today fills its 1 gallon container with new foilage, the other 2 i bought about 3 weeks later for .99 cents, they were abused but recovered well and still gave me some nice pods. they are not as bushy as the first plant but i have cut them back. the pods delivered a nice, explosive, juicy lemony flavour.

i germinated 2 seeds from the first plant and now have 2 more that are about 2 feet in height that sit in my dwc - guess i don't need to buy hot lemons again.

I believe some grew them for the chileman's jalapeno contest a few years back, but I don't think anybody reported any unusually large pods with this variety.
I grew the Gigantia f1 and it was a total dissapoitment :(

Heres a past thread on this topic
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/7033-gigante-jalapeno/page__p__120801__hl__gigante__fromsearch__1

Back