• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Another dehydration thread :)

Hey all,

I've searched through the forum but still not sure if I'm doing this right.. I picked up bunch of pods from the plants this weekend and am now attempting to dry them out in the oven.. i have habs, some thais and some purple tigers currently sitting in my half size oven (oven is one and a half)... so anyways, they're on a sheet of baking paper, on a tray in at a fan forced bake at 45C... they've been in there a couple of hours...

first off.. should i crack the door open a bit? the oven does push the air out through a vent so i wasnt sure...

second... is my temp about right? too high? too low? i can go down as low as 30C

third.. i'm now cooking a roast in the top part of the oven.. as its all digital, i'm assuming the thermostat will regulate the temp in the bottom to keep it a consistent 45C - do you think this will screw things up too much or should i turn off the bottom oven whilst dinner is cooking?

sorry to be such a pain... i just dont want to waste all these pods... I cut the big ones in half and sliced the med sized ones.. all the stems have been removed..

any idea how long i need to keep the oven running? i can run it overnight if need be...

thanks!
Mel

I crack the door open a bit, 45 sounds fine you could go a bit higher but the longer they take to dry the more flavour they keep.
At 45 you probably are looking at around 12 hours depending on how many pods you have in there.

thanks - they're still going now and starting to shrivel a bit... i'll see how they look before i head to bed... but at the minute just opening the door each time i go past (to get a drink.. so about every 10 mins or so :P)

i just pumped the temp upto 60 and left the door open... will sit it on about 30 before i go to bed and see how she goes... better not sleep in too late tomorrow!!

more flakes than powder.... Thais, Orange Habs, Purple Tigers and a bit of dried Douglah... havent tasted it yet, but I rubbed my eye about an hour ago and still have a burning eyelid :(

IMG_2575.jpg

Pizza and THSITUnivers?......LOL Just messing with ya. I actually just had some pizza with some Mesquite Yellow 7 Powder, and some Calvins 2.0. Came out pretty good. Supreme with extra meets, extra veggies, some jalapenos, and some Cabot Extra Sharp White Cheddar shredded on top of it. Cabot is amazing. I like to use it to put a drop of sauce on, or put a sliver of pepper on and eat fresh. Sometimes Ill feel al fancy and get the Roasted Garlic Triscuits, put a sliver of Cabot on it, 2 very thin slivers of garlic, and a sliver of the pepper of choice that night, and ocassionally sprinke some dried chives on top. That would be the culinary school coming out of me. Sorry this is a little off, but got my attention, and off I go.

Several questions. First this may sound lame .... but then at times I am. I've putting my dried pods into my bullet. Because I want my stuff to be uniform I end up with powder. If want you flakes .... what do you do ? Just crush them by hand ? My guess ..

JSKaiser ..... What's Mesquite Yellow 7 Powder ?? Sounds like it smoked.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Several questions. First this may sound lame .... but then at times I am. I've putting my dried pods into my bullet. Because I want my stuff to be uniform I end up with powder. If want you flakes .... what do you do ? Just crush them by hand ? My guess ..

JSKaiser ..... What's Mesquite Yellow 7 Powder ?? Sounds like it smoked.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Use a mortar and pestal after they are thoroughly dried. Cheers

Back