• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

hydroponic An outdoor hydropnic-ish setup...

I'm in a townhouse type set-up with little garden and not a great deal of space. Looked at 3-4 plants in large pot, a few at my brothers (garden) and even a few at the ex-wifes.. Just seemed a little too much like hard work.

So, I spoke to the chemist at Growth Technologies in WA last week and he offered an alternative. He's a chilli head and his company actually produce a special liquid chilli food.

Instead of huge pots (soil), he suggested a 10 litre/2.5 gallon pot, coconut peat (coir)/perlite mix, and basically growing outdoors hydroponically. Its probably as common as, but Ive got nil knowledge on the subject.

I like the idea as I then have more control over the plants, they are manageable and mobile. The Bureau of Meteorology released their Seasonal Outlook for Qld last week, and I'm not keen on having anything planted in the gardens this season! More electrical storms/cyclones, heavy rain and winds and apparently a very similar build-up that mimics that of the 1974 Brisbane floods :cry:

So to those who have done this before, and tips and suggestions will be much appreciated.

cheers, John

I'm in a townhouse type set-up with little garden and not a great deal of space. Looked at 3-4 plants in large pot, a few at my brothers (garden) and even a few at the ex-wifes.. Just seemed a little too much like hard work.

So, I spoke to the chemist at Growth Technologies in WA last week and he offered an alternative. He's a chilli head and his company actually produce a special liquid chilli food.

Instead of huge pots (soil), he suggested a 10 litre/2.5 gallon pot, coconut peat (coir)/perlite mix, and basically growing outdoors hydroponically. Its probably as common as, but Ive got nil knowledge on the subject.

I like the idea as I then have more control over the plants, they are manageable and mobile. The Bureau of Meteorology released their Seasonal Outlook for Qld last week, and I'm not keen on having anything planted in the gardens this season! More electrical storms/cyclones, heavy rain and winds and apparently a very similar build-up that mimics that of the 1974 Brisbane floods :cry:

So to those who have done this before, and tips and suggestions will be much appreciated.

cheers, John

Hi John

I am no expert but just going off what I have experienced.
I deal with those guys a bit and they are great. If you spoke to Carl he definately provides some great knowledge. I have grown outdoors with coco (no perlite) and it works fine but does dry out really quickly. See I started them under lights until I found out how much my power bill was and then moved them outside. So I would suggest if you are going to do that to get some sort of dripper happening so it comes on during the day when you are not home. Perhaps also mulching it with something might help.They can be a little light too so if you get strong winds it might get knocked over. You will also need to feed them with a nutrient since coco holds no nutrients. I actually use Chilli Focus from them. I sell small bottles on my website but I'm sure if you wanted a larger one they could send it to you?

Good luck with it, make sure you post pics if you decide to go ahead.

Candice

Candice,
Thanks for that. Yep, it was Carl! He is happy enough to keep in touch and help out, which is invaluable.

Had a look at your site and saw the Chilli Focus nutrients.... if I'd known earlier - I saw the Focus range in a store, looking for something lower in phosphorous, and rang to get a tech sheet/info and thats when he mentioned the chilli based one (only available in 20lt). Can't get the Herb Focus easily, so went for Foliage Focus and there's a marked result so far. Mixed medium (4 1/2 tsp per 3lt) and fed the seedlings which are in 100mm pots now.

I'll have to pick his brains some more later, but he was talking about a setup involving a deep dish base under the pot that's constantly holding water/nutrients, perlite base for the pot, and coir as the 'soil' etc

Yeah he is great.
The chilli focus you only need 5ml per litre for a weak strength, 7.5ml for med and 10ml per litre for strong. Not sure what the foilage focus is, sounds good but might not be good for when they are fruiting because it may produce more growth & leaves than flowers and fruits? Just guessing.
The setup sounds intereseting, would like to see how you go with it over the season.

i grow mine in that already 10 litre/2.5 gallon pot, coconut peat coir perlite mix works like a treat

Read this post this morning and realised that Growth Technologies in OConnor WA is about 5 minutes away. I've seen their stuff around but didn't know they did a Chilli special. I needed nutrients so I went down there and got some and the head guy came out and was really helpful just like you said.
Go word of mouth!!

:dance:

@ Wildfire.... I've seen all the other Focus products in store but never the Chilli Focus so I just gave up on it. I'll be keen to get my hands on some if you're shipping 1lt bottles and I might use this opportunity to order some of your Smokey Jolokia. PM coming.

It seems you can't receive any new PMs so there's not one coming :) . I ordered some Chilli Focus and Smokey Jolokia, looking forward to trying your sauce out.

It seems you can't receive any new PMs so there's not one coming :) . I ordered some Chilli Focus and Smokey Jolokia, looking forward to trying your sauce out.

Sorry not sure how to delete them without deleting all my messages, tried the other day. I used to be ok with technological stuff but not anymore. :crazy:

Cool glad I could help and you are interested in the Smokey Jolokia i'm sure you will like them, your lucky you get another bottle free due to our current promotion!
If you like it and need a bigger bottle of Chilli Focus let me know and I'll see what I can organise for you.

Yeah I noticed I had good timing with your promotion :cheers:

I'll see how I go with the litre bottle and if it works well I'll definitely be up for more. Thanks.

Back