Am I in trouble?

I've never had temps drop this low in mid May. We're experiencing mid-40's all week. During the day, we get up to 62-68, but at night, the temps drop down to 40-45. Never below 40 though. 

Have you guys experienced this before? Are my tom's & pepp's in trouble?

I'm in Mid TN btw

i use 46-48 F as my bring the babies into the house low temp but i am assuming you are planting in ground, so i would say you are okay, definitely okay on the tomato front.

if you experience any growth delay with the peppers, it will be short as your nighttime temps will be back where they should be soon, i just wouldn't water them to avoid damp cold in the root zone. but, your soil temps should be retained with the daytime heat at this time of year.

good luck and happy growing.

They should be fine. Just like Colon said, be sure not to water them so the soil doesn't get too cold for the roots.

I'm in middle Georgia, so our weather is very shaky. We got 80 degree temps on sunday and wednesday it dropped to 45-50 degrees with rain, temps won't settle back at ~75 F until Tuesday.

Wouldn't worry too much unless there is snow lol

At the end of last year my pepper plants kept growing and putting peppers out until the first frost hit, then they died.   I think you should be ok.  

We have been in the same fix here in Missouri, but with the night temps falling to the mid to upper 30's just above the frost zone mine are outside, but I have them in a good sunny spot to keep them a little warmer at night and I have been covering them up at night also. from what I have read the midwestern zone should expect a longer wetter spring with dangerous storms all season.
I just hope they are wrong, I really need to get my babies planted, but I'm hoping it will start warming back up, if I have to I will put down some black weed cover, so that the soil will heat up enough so that the plants won't suffer from cold soil syndrome.

Well.. The weather has gotten cold here at night in North Central Kansas.It looks like I have lost about 50 tomato plants and probably 200 pepper plants. I do have about 50 pepper plants in raised beds that look alright. I always plant early and things seem to work out. It doesn't look like I got so lucky this year.I guess I'll have more time for fishing this year.

As Mark noted, they will likely be fine. I recommend you cover them to ensure no frost hits them. I grow in pots so I can move them indoors as needed. That might be something for you to consider going forward - perhaps annuums in the raised bed and others that take longer to produce in pots.

Im in Knoxville, just East of ya.  Plants will be fine in these temps if you already have them out.  Maybe cover if we are getting below 40 or so.  Mine are all still in starters and cups so I just move them inside for the nights.

If you have any pubes, they will probably be happy with the temps. Chinense won't like it but they'll be fine.

That's weird!

Here in Southern California, we are experiencing a HEAT WAVE, blistering into the 90's!!! I know right! Night time temps hit a low around 68 degrees F  :fireball:

It's just terrible

The peppers are pubes for sure. The tom's are 17 goin on 30 lol...Pretty sweet transition/transplant this year. I think they're enjoying the temp being in the 70's past few weeks and the rains. I'm doing a lil experiment with pinching to see what my yields are. I'm interested to see how the toms do that were pinched and the ones that weren't and are currently trying to set.

Back