• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

AJs February 2011

Man, AJ I feel for ya. This year a half dozen local musicians that I know have had their gear lifted in Fresno. The advice given is pretty solid. Thieves use craigslist all the time for fencing. And maybe check some of the outlying town's pawn shops as well. They might be smart enough to not crap in their own neighborhood. Probably not. But you never know.

Back on topic though. You're seriously tempting me into blowing some major cash on lighting. Those plants look gorgeous! And such a deep shade of green. I can only hope that the wee bains slumbering on top of my fridge can someday reach the peppery excellent of your young 'uns.

Man, AJ I feel for ya. This year a half dozen local musicians that I know have had their gear lifted in Fresno. The advice given is pretty solid. Thieves use craigslist all the time for fencing. And maybe check some of the outlying town's pawn shops as well. They might be smart enough to not crap in their own neighborhood. Probably not. But you never know.

Back on topic though. You're seriously tempting me into blowing some major cash on lighting. Those plants look gorgeous! And such a deep shade of green. I can only hope that the wee bains slumbering on top of my fridge can someday reach the peppery excellent of your young 'uns.

When I started thinking about alternative lighting, LEDs were the only "new" thing out there...so what I wanted was a light source that I could grow seedlings under (don't need to grow them to maturity) and when I saw the specs on the 90 watt LED, it tickled me...I contacted the guy at the place where I ordered them from and he said they would be great for seedlings but if I wanted to grow to maturity I would need to augment with other light source (HID or MH type) for an hour or two a day...I was originally going to put one of these in my growbox ( 4' X 4' X 6') and replace the 18 42 watt CFLs in there but need them for seedling growth right now...will get more (hopefully) as the season progresses and next year, I hope to have built a grow room in the growrage that will allow me to start 24 72 cell trays at a time and have enough room for over a thousand seedlings in 3" containers...thats counting on about a 71% germination rate that makes it to transplant...

got another 82 transplanted today...two day total is 138...need to get at least another 100 done today...all 56 Scorpions, 44 Fatalii, 38 Foodarama Scotch Bonnets...will finish up the foodies today then start on the 7 pot and Bhuts...got at least 120 of each of those to transplant...

some of the first ones will be ready for sale in about a week...they are in 3" X 3" X 5.5" containers and will be good in those containers for at least two months...just sayin'...

When I started thinking about alternative lighting, LEDs were the only "new" thing out there...so what I wanted was a light source that I could grow seedlings under (don't need to grow them to maturity) and when I saw the specs on the 90 watt LED, it tickled me...I contacted the guy at the place where I ordered them from and he said they would be great for seedlings but if I wanted to grow to maturity I would need to augment with other light source (HID or MH type) for an hour or two a day...I was originally going to put one of these in my growbox ( 4' X 4' X 6') and replace the 18 42 watt CFLs in there but need them for seedling growth right now...will get more (hopefully) as the season progresses and next year, I hope to have built a grow room in the growrage that will allow me to start 24 72 cell trays at a time and have enough room for over a thousand seedlings in 3" containers...thats counting on about a 71% germination rate that makes it to transplant...

got another 82 transplanted today...two day total is 138...need to get at least another 100 done today...all 56 Scorpions, 44 Fatalii, 38 Foodarama Scotch Bonnets...will finish up the foodies today then start on the 7 pot and Bhuts...got at least 120 of each of those to transplant...

some of the first ones will be ready for sale in about a week...they are in 3" X 3" X 5.5" containers and will be good in those containers for at least two months...just sayin'...

nice. do you sell your seedlings? How much are they? Is there a good demand? What seems to be the most popular superhot? Just wondering. I don't have space to start that many seeds anyways.

nice. do you sell your seedlings? How much are they? Is there a good demand? What seems to be the most popular superhot? Just wondering. I don't have space to start that many seeds anyways.

You got your work cut out AJ haha, your gonna need to hire some employees befotee too long..

Hey someone kinda local lol pepperjam! Yes aj sells, not sure on price but for the quality and live the plants get its worth it I'm sure... I'm holding i can drive to pic about 10 or 20 plants up

AJ: sounds like you're keeping busy! i'm truly sorry about the loss of your equipment - hopefully justice will be served.

Wow Man, I'm sorry to hear that. Those were important things to you. Nothin lower than a sneaky thief and it really doesn't matter what it is, it's yours. Best of luck on your hunt.

yes sir, I do sell seedlings...had to raise prices this year though...first price raise in 3 years and the potting soil I use for the seedlings has gone from 6 to 9 a bag and word is, it is going to 12 next year...next year I will find another resource for my soil but I am too far into it this season...contact me for prices as they vary from variety to variety...I hope there is a good demand, I am trying to build a business...The Bhuts are the most popular among people "not in the know"...most of them want them for a conversation piece, some want to "taste them", some want to "I'll show him" people that say they don't make a pepper too hot for me to eat....

You got your work cut out AJ haha, your gonna need to hire some employees befotee too long..

Hey someone kinda local lol pepperjam! Yes aj sells, not sure on price but for the quality and live the plants get its worth it I'm sure... I'm holding i can drive to pic about 10 or 20 plants up

nope, not gonna do it...no employees unless it is contract labor for clean up...
----------------------

this is my transplant area...and is constantly being used right now...I have a total of 216 transplanted so far...for the season thats less than 10% of what I will eventually transplant...a farmers work is never done...

02-6-7-11a002.jpg

I will be there all day long today...need to get at least another 80-100 done today...next wave of transplants will be in about 7 days...I so far have 6 waves going that are about a week apart...

Hey there Boss. Do you have a heater in the garage? Mine was sooooooooo cold this last week, just wondering how the babies stayed alive through 16F nights......

Hey there Boss. Do you have a heater in the garage? Mine was sooooooooo cold this last week, just wondering how the babies stayed alive through 16F nights......

yup...have two old 4' strip heaters and a pelonis forced air electric heater...kept the garage at the coldest 72F with the outside temp 12.2F

Sorry to hear about the loss AJ. I effing hate thieves. Karma is a bitch and it will find them.

Good luck with selling the plants.

http://www.amazon.com/Illuminator-5-Band-Tri-Spectrum-Grow-Light/dp/B001J9SYW2

it takes a low down motherfu**** to steal a musicians gear...and all the police say is OK...thank you for your report...but there is nothing they really can do...because it ain't like it was back in the old days...people genuinely cared about each other and wouldn't dare take something that wasn't theirs...

What size area does one of those cover? Sorry to hear about your stuff getting jacked.

Hey AJ. Those transplant containers are different than the ones you used last year. They look taller. What gives??

I have also noticed gerden supplies are getting more expensive. I can't belive that soil is 50% more expensive this year and then again next year??? I wonder if this will be more common in the future. It seems the demand is higher and there are more people gardening these days.

Hey AJ. Those transplant containers are different than the ones you used last year. They look taller. What gives??

I have also noticed gerden supplies are getting more expensive. I can't belive that soil is 50% more expensive this year and then again next year??? I wonder if this will be more common in the future. It seems the demand is higher and there are more people gardening these days.

Using the deeper ones so the plants will grow longer in them...plants were almost rootbound in the smaller ones last year...problem is that causes price to go up also...

If there is one thing for sure...things get more expensive as time goes on...

seems transplanting never ends...I tried to make a panarama of the growrage and well, it is ok I reckon....this is where I will be for the next 6 weeks...will start moving plants out of the growrage to the hoophouse if I ever get it built...this dang snow is for the birds...they are predicting an inch of ice and 3-4 inches of snow on top of it...nope, not gonna finish the hoophouse today....

panaramagrowrage02-08-11.jpg

I was in Dallas/Fort Worth Dec 2000 and I thought it was cold then but it wasnt snowing. Just cold. Nice place, though I was only there a couple of days on business, then we headed south to San Antonio, then Norleans then Tampa then Miami so we warmed up a bit after that.
I was selling commercial worm farms to hospitals and hotels and the like. Amazing what those little critters eat.

Sorry about you stuff, i can't stand people that can live with themselves doing things like that. BTW i play mandolin too, love it! Anyway i'm sorry if you have covered this already and i'm sure you get sick of answering these questions but can you give the specs on the CFL setup you have. I am venturing into CFL this year and can use all the info i can.

______________________________right around here
_____________________________________VVVV
panaramagrowrage02-08-11.jpg

looks like you are pointing to the 6 light set up that is mounted on a 2' X 4' piece of plywood...42 watt (150 eq) that put out about 2500-2700 lumens if I remember right and I use a combination of 2700K and 6500K...even split..this is "slogro"

Back