• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Aji Amarillo Recipes?

As those of you who have followed my Trade List Thread already know, I had been fighting a long-running war since last year with aphids devastating my indoor pepper plant collection. :banghead:

The good news is, I finally won the war! :dance:

Even better, one of my plants (my Aji Amarillo) now has ripe pods - the first I have seen on any of my plants for well over a year! :party:

Unfortunately, the aphids managed to kill-off nearly all of my full-sized pepper plants, so it looks like this variety may be the only podage I will be enjoying for a while (a couple months at least - long enough for my surviving babies/new starts to grow up! :pray:)

So, I need to do something with these unusual South American peppers!

My problem is, I don't know what I can make with these guys?

I do know this is suppose to be the most popular pepper in Peru.

I did some research, and even asked someone with family from Peru, and best I could gather, this variety is apparently mainly used there to make the Peruvian equivalent of some kind of pepper sauce/table dressing, that each family has their own secret recipe, many of which use mayo as a main ingredient (which I am allergic to) and/or strange spices (huacatay??:confused:) that grow natively in South America?

I don't want anything that complicated - I'm just looking for a salsa or other recipe for Aji Amarillos that does not involve either mayo, or airfare to Peru to get all the necessary ingredients!

I should also probably point-out that my cooking expertise does not go much beyond pre-heating the oven to 350F, while poking holes in the plastic covering with a fork. ;)

Thanks all!

Do a Google search on Peruvian Cuisine. That's what Aji Joe told me to do, and I found several recipes that use Aji Amarillos.

I know a bit about Peruvian cuisine and the use of this pepper...

Aji De Gallina Shredded chicken stew with ají amarillo cheese sauce served with boiled potatoes & white rice

Paella Peruvian paella with chorizo, mixed seafood, ají amarillo and saffron flavors

Cau Cau De Mariscos Mixed seafood stew with potatoes sauteed in an ají amarillo sauce with fresh herbs and rice

Tacu Tacu De Mariscos Rice and bean risotto topped with mixed seafood in a Peruvian ají amarillo sauce

ceviche

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=aji+amarillo+ceviche&pbx=1&oq=aji+amarillo+ceviche&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1532l5330l0l5576l13l11l0l0l0l8l309l2132l0.5.4.1l10l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=a4183349b9a276ea&biw=1152&bih=698

Back