• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Aaron Franklin...James Beard Award...Butcher paper

I've been hanging out/posting over at bbqbrethren.com a bit, and have seen some discussions over this Texas pitmaster, Aaron Franklin, and his use of butcher paper for wrapping brisket. Apparently, if you're willing to wait 4-5 hours in line, you can buy/eat this guy's brisket on your tailgate, lawn chair, whatever. No seating. And, apparently again, it's worth the wait. People just camp out in line with ice chests/refreshments and have fun. Just wondering if anyone here is familiar with Franklin.

Roguejim said:
I've been hanging out/posting over at bbqbrethren.com a bit, and have seen some discussions over this Texas pitmaster, Aaron Franklin, and his use of butcher paper for wrapping brisket. Apparently, if you're willing to wait 4-5 hours in line, you can buy/eat this guy's brisket on your tailgate, lawn chair, whatever. No seating. And, apparently again, it's worth the wait. People just camp out in line with ice chests/refreshments and have fun. Just wondering if anyone here is familiar with Franklin.

Very familiar. Cool guy. Popular new cookbook, cameo appearance in Chef, and a proponent of only using S&P for brisket.

I feel like his method doesn't involve pulling the meat at an internal temp, but rather, he uses a test of sorts and gives each piece of meats it's own done-time ...

I might be conflating that last one w/ someone else, but I don't think so ...

I have his book on Kindle, but haven't even begun to read it - but I know Booma has been reading it.

He rarely uses butcher paper however you can find an episode on YouTube where he shows you how to do it. I lived in Austin so and used to visit the area often for work so I know of him very well and I also have watched many shows with him featured or judging. 

He can tell by handling the meat when it is perfectly done.

Make sure if you try butcher paper you are getting the non waxed version. 

grantmichaels said:

Very familiar. Cool guy. Popular new cookbook, cameo appearance in Chef, and a proponent of only using S&P for brisket.

I feel like his method doesn't involve pulling the meat at an internal temp, but rather, he uses a test of sorts and gives each piece of meats it's own done-time ...

I might be conflating that last one w/ someone else, but I don't think so ...

I have his book on Kindle, but haven't even begun to read it - but I know Booma has been reading it.
Yeah, I think most pit masters, like those at Kreutz Mkt, go by feel.  No time for probing numerous cuts of meat. 
JoynersHotPeppers said:
He rarely uses butcher paper however you can find an episode on YouTube where he shows you how to do it. I lived in Austin so and used to visit the area often for work so I know of him very well and I also have watched many shows with him featured or judging. 

He can tell by handling the meat when it is perfectly done.

Make sure if you try butcher paper you are getting the non waxed version. 
http://www.tmbbq.com/interview-aaron-franklin-of-franklin-barbecue/

TM: Franklin Barbecue is known for wrapping briskets in butcher paper. Why do you wrap at all, and why do you choose butcher paper?
AF: The briskets need to stay covered so that the bark doesn’t get ripped off of them when they’re being thrown around. We also wrap them once we know we’ve gotten a certain amount of smokiness. I started using paper because it was cheaper than foil. Foil also gets things real steamy. It’s known as the “Texas Crutch” and it would be embarrassing for me to use foil on briskets, but we use foil on pork butts and sometimes on ribs. I think foiled briskets end up a little pot-roasty for my taste, and the paper breathes a little better. If we were only doing five briskets then I would probably never wrap them, but when you’ve got that many cooking it’s nice to get them off, throw them on the counter and let them rest. It’s really there for protection, but an added side effect is that it helps retain moisture. I can also use the grease soaked butcher paper to start my fires on Monday when we restart the fires. The fires then burn twenty four hours a day until we’re done on Sunday. That’s when we clean the pits.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
In all honesty, I can post two videos where he completely contradicts himself :) 

Pay attention to around the 1:20 mark ;)

I wonder if sometimes he's speaking of his own personal eating, rather than what he serves his clientele. No matter the first video rocked. Interesting to hear his remarks about hot n fast, when some of his famous Lone Star pitmaster compatriots cook that very way, i.e. Kreutz Mkt.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I think his hands are his weapon....the man can feel when it is perfect! 

I know the jiggle when I see it ... the HUGE problem is that I don't yet know when I'm not seeing it ...

Would you be willing to wait 5 hours in line for his brisket? I think I could tap into my younger side, and make it a fun experience. Maintaining a modicum of sobriety might prove to be difficult, however.

I've eaten several times at his place as I live in Austin. It's really next level life changing BBQ and I've eaten at them all... Just picked up some of the butcher paper he uses to serve on and wrap his briskets. And yes the wraps every one. I'm going to try the paper on my next packer...I'm getting close to his goodness. Gotta use prime briskets Ike he does if you even wanna come close.

http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Butcher-Paper-Durable-Carry/dp/B00NC5S6OM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

http://burgermary.com/what-is-peach-paper-a-bbq-trend-explained/

Mikes said:
I've eaten several times at his place as I live in Austin. It's really next level life changing BBQ and I've eaten at them all... Just picked up some of the butcher paper he uses to serve on and wrap his briskets. And yes the wraps every one. I'm going to try the paper on my next packer...I'm getting close to his goodness. Gotta use prime briskets Ike he does if you even wanna come close.http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Butcher-Paper-Durable-Carry/dp/B00NC5S6OM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8http://burgermary.com/what-is-peach-paper-a-bbq-trend-explained/
What's your opinion of the brisket at Kreutz or Black's?

I liked both with Smittys being the most tasty (to me anyway). Best thing about all three of those is that you can drive past the people in franklins line all the way down to Lockhart....eat lunch...and be back before the people in the franklins line even eat Hahaha. La barbecue is the newer up and comer in the Austin area. Food truck just like AF started. So many great central Texas BBQ joints to choose from and most less than a day trip away.

Mikes said:
I liked both with Smittys being the most tasty (to me anyway). Best thing about all three of those is that you can drive past the people in franklins line all the way down to Lockhart....eat lunch...and be back before the people in the franklins line even eat Hahaha. La barbecue is the newer up and comer in the Austin area. Food truck just like AF started. So many great central Texas BBQ joints to choose from and most less than a day trip away.
Okay, then. In what way is Franklin's brisket better than Smitty's, or is it?

I think it is more moist with a better bark (franklins). Even slices from the flat on his are super moist. I'm no Franklins fan boy, and enjoy not waiting in line just as much as the next guy ( read I eat at other BBQ joints more often than his) but man his meat is good. It's just like peppers. Which one is hotter? Which one is bigger? Which one is better? Everyone is gonna have their own opinion lol.

I just thought I would post up a link to the paper he uses and another link explaining the BBQ paper craze. :)

Are there any great BBQ joints near you in Oregon roguejim?

Mikes said:
I think it is more moist with a better bark (franklins). Even slices from the flat on his are super moist. I'm no Franklins fan boy, and enjoy not waiting in line just as much as the next guy ( read I eat at other BBQ joints more often than his) but man his meat is good. It's just like peppers. Which one is hotter? Which one is bigger? Which one is better? Everyone is gonna have their own opinion lol.
I just thought I would post up a link to the paper he uses and another link explaining the BBQ paper craze. :)
Are there any great BBQ joints near you in Oregon roguejim?
Thank you for weighing in from the Lone Star State. Having grown up in southern California, and relocating to southern Oregon in the 1980s, I consider southern Oregon to be a culinary wasteland. We have our small share of immigrants, but they seem to be the ones who never learned to cook their native foods. But, that's another topic...Very sad, indeed.

EDIT: Just read the article on pink butcher paper. Another craze, I fear...

I stood the line - for four hours and it was worth every minute. The brisket was a religious experience for me, and redefined my cooking style for brisket. His other meats were very, very good, but the brisket was outstanding! Put this place on your bucket list.

midwestchilehead said:
I stood the line - for four hours and it was worth every minute. The brisket was a religious experience for me, and redefined my cooking style for brisket. His other meats were very, very good, but the brisket was outstanding! Put this place on your bucket list.
Hi John. So, what do you think Aaron is doing differently from other pitmasters, if anything?

Back