A website and online store with email

Hi all!  So I'm working to create a retirement business for myself and have been getting tons of really good information on here THANK YOU !!!  I used the search function and found out a lot of good information.

What I'm considering is using GoDaddy to handle everything that I need to have such as a domain, website, company email, online store etc.  Is this an easy one stop shop for my needs?  I have read I can use Google & Shopify and some other sites.  Since this will be new to me I kind of want to go the easiest way.  Not because I'm lazy but because I only have so many hours in a day. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you again!

Jabski

The Hot Pepper said:
I don't understand half of Grant's tech or gadget talk I just roll with it lol but yeah glad you find this site useful.
I have turned into a TheHotPepper addict! I usually check it at least 12 times a day. I love to learn and the amount of smart people on here is amazing. If I would not take an early retirement at the end of 2017 I will have to check myself into a lobotomy hospital and do it as fast as possible. This site will help me not have to do that. I am burned out on my job at a big pharmaceutical company that is really trying to make my site almost non existent.

My wonderful Southern Belle Peggy loved my ground up hot peppers from 2013 so much that she convinced me to look into doing this properly, legally & get the ball rolling.

With Peggy & all the info from THP I know I can do this. I know it will be really hard at times but it's worth it.

grantmichaels said:
There's usually a good point ...

The folks who Google a little, learn something ...

If you don't know what Meterpreter is, it's a great start just to know that Metasploit exists.

If you are taking people's info (and you shouldn't be with all the API's out there these days), you damn well better secure it or you won't be in business long in the new world ...
OK where I work an API is an active pharmaceutical ingredient. So what is this API? Remember these posts today has me poor brain working on fumes.

I'm pretty sure it's 'application programming interface' ... but that doesn't matter, anyways ...

Go here and I think it will help: https://www.mashape.com/explore

The point of what I was getting at is using something like Shopify, or Stripe, or Paypal, or Braintree, or Mailchimp, or any number of other services you can outsource the complex or higher-security parts of the process to ... which often have free tier's which a small site can live within/under forever ...

For example ... you can use gethelium.com and add items to sell, and it's just a couple of lines of JavaScript (don't ask, Google it) right in your HTML and sell items from whatever site you have ...

They have a nice skeuomophic (?sp) CC interface too, and charge like 4% or something on the transaction. Now your customers sensitive data is being handled by their servers, and you are not being negligent ...

grantmichaels said:
I'm pretty sure it's 'application programming interface' ... but that doesn't matter, anyways ...

Go here and I think it will help: https://www.mashape.com/explore

The point of what I was getting at is using something like Shopify, or Stripe, or Paypal, or Braintree, or Mailchimp, or any number of other services you can outsource the complex or higher-security parts of the process to ... which often have free tier's which a small site can live within/under forever ...

For example ... you can use gethelium.com and add items to sell, and it's just a couple of lines of JavaScript (don't ask, Google it) right in your HTML and sell items from whatever site you have ...

They have a nice skeuomophic (?sp) CC interface too, and charge like 4% or something on the transaction. Now your customers sensitive data is being handled by their servers, and you are not being negligent ...

This is definitly cheaper but you also need to consider your branding.  This link does not work for me (many don't from my work PC), but I've seen similar sites.  The first time I stumbled upon one I was confused because I went to company A and the URL was nested under some other company's domain.  Not the best branding experience.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
It is a Joomla issue for sure. What version are you on?

Whatever the latest is, 3.3.6 I believe.

Check it out from home and see if you still feel that way? ...

I don't believe there's any redirection involved in this day and age using something like this ...

Stripe is an awesome company and I know lots of folks there, including one in their sec dept ...

grantmichaels said:
If you are taking people's info (and you shouldn't be with all the API's out there these days), you damn well better secure it or you won't be in business long in the new world ...

If I'm using, say, shopify and customers log in/create accounts and some of them store info - and then my shopify site gets hacked - is that on them or me?  Where does the burden of security lie?

Also what is an API?

It's, at least referentially, them.

But it's not functionally about that ...

It's more that you don't know sec and PCI compliance or whatever, and they have a dept w/ ninjas who do ...

That's making the right choice w/ your customer's data all day, everyday.

Running your own website and dealing w/ sensitive data without the requisite knowledge of the space is kind of negligent imho ...

Also what is an API?

In this context, it's a service that you can interface w/ programmatically - over HTTP ...

grantmichaels said:
It's, at least referentially, them.

But it's not functionally about that ...

It's more that you don't know sec and PCI compliance or whatever, and they have a dept w/ ninjas who do ...

That's making the right choice w/ your customer's data all day, everyday.

Running your own website and dealing w/ sensitive data without the requisite knowledge of the space is kind of negligent imho ...

In this context, it's a service that you can interface w/ programmatically - over HTTP ...

So...

Is that like, an affirmative...

to my question about THEM being liable for the date breach....   ?

My man..?

:)

I'm considering HostGator, Shopify, GoDaddy and a couple others.  Mostly those three.  Reviews are split about equal from what I've found but I do have a friend who swears by Shopify.  I want people to be able to pay with their choice of credit/debit or paypal.

well, i mean, someone can file suit against anyone, right?

and there are different rules for different regions ...

http://www.shopify.com/blog/14926393-the-definitive-legal-guide-to-ecommerce

but like, I know they have plug-in things you can buy a la carte, add-on's ...

like signifyd ...

there's no sure thing w/ liability, but imho, if I were on the stand, I'd feel a lot better about telling a judge or jury that I outsourced sec to pro's, than anything else ...

crypto is hard. it's even harder to implement soundly, and best left to pro's ...

whether or not someone sues you, leaving it to pro's has to be the best answer in terms of negligence ...

what are you planning to sell - out of curiosity re: scale ...

Hi all!  So I'm working to create a retirement business for myself and have been getting tons of really good information on here THANK YOU !!!  I used the search function and found out a lot of good information.

What I'm considering is using GoDaddy to handle everything that I need to have such as a domain, website, company email, online store etc.  Is this an easy one stop shop for my needs?  I have read I can use Google & Shopify and some other sites.  Since this will be new to me I kind of want to go the easiest way.  Not because I'm lazy but because I only have so many hours in a day. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you again!

Jabski

You know - do you need an commerce website? If you are retiring you can probably just host a static page w/ contact info and handle everything with email and Paypal ...

Just sayin' ... you mentioned only wanting to spend a little time ...

Jabski....welcome to the Chile Pepper Continuum!  You are well on your way to full chile pepper assimilation! 

:lol:

That said-
My business website is hosted on a local ISP for a couple hundred a year( I think?).  I have Adobe Contribute as a website construction program.  After the site was first set up by the local ISP, I can make changes, post sales, add/delete products using Contribute.  I made it very clear that I would be making changes using AContribute and made sure it was set up that way.  Honestly, I've used about .005% of the program, but at least I can make changes myself and not have to call up an PAY the local ISP to add a product, host a sale....you get the idea...

I use PayPal or Square for processing payments.  It works for most people and for the rest, I can take their CC number over the phone and run it through paypal.  I can also use PayPal to send an invoice to a hot sauce business for 12 tins of Pure Evil.  I can ALSO use PayPay to send an invoice to our electrical customers for  $XXX,XXX.XX .  They can pay by CC (which earns them major travel points) or bank transfer..whatever.  The downside of that is the % PayPal charges for transactions.  On the last large payment I received, it was over $800 in paypal fees.   

I'm quoting LARGE dollar transactions that are subject to the same rates as $10 transactions.  They all add up. 

We've looked at other CC processing sites.  Some were $100/month regardless of amount charged but the %-per-transaction was way less than PayPal.  If you processed that amount of $$$ in cc charges it would be worth it.  Just something to watch out for if you get to the point of searching for a CC processing. 

What I have works for me and my level of non-involvement of an active website.  I don't post/tweet/stream/tag/etc/etc/etc/

But, I do check THP several times a day!  :dance:

grantmichaels said:
well, i mean, someone can file suit against anyone, right?

what are you planning to sell - out of curiosity re: scale ...

Indeed you're right about anyone being able to sue anyone else.  

I'm planning to sell hot sauce, dry spices, pepper powders and blends, high end vinegar & oils, hard to find/source loose leaf teas, kickass coffee and other non essential but incredibly worthy additions to one's life.  

Indeed you're right about anyone being able to sue anyone else.  

I'm planning to sell hot sauce, dry spices, pepper powders and blends, high end vinegar & oils, hard to find/source loose leaf teas, kickass coffee and other non essential but incredibly worthy additions to one's life.  

Yeah, that's my jam.

I'm contemplating solving this problem.

grantmichaels said:
well, i mean, someone can file suit against anyone, right?and there are different rules for different regions ...http://www.shopify.com/blog/14926393-the-definitive-legal-guide-to-ecommercebutlike, I know they have plug-in things you can buy a la carte, add-on's ...like signifyd ...there's no sure thing w/ liability, but imho, if I were on the stand, I'd feel a lot better about telling a judge or jury that I outsourced sec to pro's, than anything else ...crypto is hard. it's even harder to implement soundly, and best left to pro's ...whether or not someone sues you, leaving it to pro's has to be the best answer in terms of negligence ...what are you planning to sell - out of curiosity re: scale ...

You know - do you need an commerce website? If you are retiring you can probably just host a static page w/ contact info and handle everything with email and Paypal ...

Just sayin' ... you mentioned only wanting to spend a little time ...
I meant only so much time in a day to do everything involved in my farming. I don't think I can spend the time on learning the programming as well as what you can do unless I wanted to be a code writing guy.

I do want to hopefully make a real amount of money out of this adventure because I'll be 55 when I retire and will have hopefully 55 more years left in me. I also want to give my daughter & son a chance to learn all this from me then they could buy the business. I would then try some other plant like lettuces or tomatoes.
salsalady said:
Jabski....welcome to the Chile Pepper Continuum!  You are well on your way to full chile pepper assimilation! 

:lol:

That said-
My business website is hosted on a local ISP for a couple hundred a year( I think?).  I have Adobe Contribute as a website construction program.  After the site was first set up by the local ISP, I can make changes, post sales, add/delete products using Contribute.  I made it very clear that I would be making changes using AContribute and made sure it was set up that way.  Honestly, I've used about .005% of the program, but at least I can make changes myself and not have to call up an PAY the local ISP to add a product, host a sale....you get the idea...

I use PayPal or Square for processing payments.  It works for most people and for the rest, I can take their CC number over the phone and run it through paypal.  I can also use PayPal to send an invoice to a hot sauce business for 12 tins of Pure Evil.  I can ALSO use PayPay to send an invoice to our electrical customers for  $XXX,XXX.XX .  They can pay by CC (which earns them major travel points) or bank transfer..whatever.  The downside of that is the % PayPal charges for transactions.  On the last large payment I received, it was over $800 in paypal fees.   

I'm quoting LARGE dollar transactions that are subject to the same rates as $10 transactions.  They all add up. 

We've looked at other CC processing sites.  Some were $100/month regardless of amount charged but the %-per-transaction was way less than PayPal.  If you processed that amount of $$$ in cc charges it would be worth it.  Just something to watch out for if you get to the point of searching for a CC processing. 

What I have works for me and my level of non-involvement of an active website.  I don't post/tweet/stream/tag/etc/etc/etc/

But, I do check THP several times a day!  :dance:
Thank you once again for all your knowledge!!!

"I don't think I can spend the time on learning the programming as well as what you can do unless I wanted to be a code writing guy."

If you don't want to know how to do it, please don't handle/process/store people's sensitive information ... it's totally irresponsible!

Use a service like Shopify or Etsy or Foxycart or Gumroad or you could probably even fit it into Cafe Press, or even just run your own Amazon Store pretty easily - and you'd outsource the important aspects to pro's ...

Let's call it the SSL Water Test ... if you can't get SSL setup on your domain, you shouldn't be DIY imho ...

grantmichaels said:
"I don't think I can spend the time on learning the programming as well as what you can do unless I wanted to be a code writing guy."

If you don't want to know how to do it, please don't handle/process/store people's sensitive information ... it's totally irresponsible!

Use a service like Shopify or Etsy or Foxycart or Gumroad or you could probably even fit it into Cafe Press, or even just run your own Amazon Store pretty easily - and you'd outsource the important aspects to pro's ...

Let's call it the SSL Water Test ... if you can't get SSL setup on your domain, you shouldn't be DIY imho ...
That is what I'm figuring I will have to do.  I still have a way to go until this all comes together.  I'm just starting very early in the whole process.  Thank you for the info you have been providing.  It's the kind of info I need to know.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I have SSL and still do not store data ;) I do not want any baby mamma drama....no thanks

I originally wanted to say if you don't know ECC and where to look for PCI info, then don't do it, but that's too restrictive and un-American ... the land of bountiful reward for taking risks ...

But, here's a really good intro bit from the fine folks at Cloudflare ...

https://blog.cloudflare.com/a-relatively-easy-to-understand-primer-on-elliptic-curve-cryptography/

Back