• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

scovilles A rather extensive scoville scale list...figured I'd share

That's only the highest ones each pepper put out. Cayenne for example almost never hit 50k. 15 sure, but 50 maybe once. And the moruga is almost always 800k lower than the rating they gave it.

Yes nice list but I think heat can be rather subjective as different types of heat cause different types of sensations. I think the Fatalii is rather high at 500 if it's a Yellow Fatalii. I consider the Yellow no hotter than a Orange Hab at about 300, but better tasting and a better type of heat.

Yeah, doesn't look right to me at all.  It's a little closer than some of the other ones I've seen though.  Primos have been tested and they need to add about 200k more to the rating they have on there.

cruzzfish said:
That's only the highest ones each pepper put out. Cayenne for example almost never hit 50k. 15 sure, but 50 maybe once. And the moruga is almost always 800k lower than the rating they gave it.
That's why I like the few that I've seen that actually give ranges.  Ghosts range wildly.  The Thais I'm growing are easily hotter than a regular orange hab

SL3 said:
Yes nice list but I think heat can be rather subjective as different types of heat cause different types of sensations. I think the Fatalii is rather high at 500 if it's a Yellow Fatalii. I consider the Yellow no hotter than a Orange Hab at about 300, but better tasting and a better type of heat.
I have yellow Fataliis that are very hot, as hot as or hotter than some ghosts.

I honestly don't think there will ever be a truly accurate SHU scale.....ever.  It's really subjective to a lot of things.  

TBH, the official one is the ones given by the research institute in New Mexico I think. That means that even though they vary elsewhere, they should be the same thing relative to one another based on the scale. A reaper that's 100k lower should also mean a douglah that's 100k lower on average.

ikeepfish said:
Yeah, doesn't look right to me at all.  It's a little closer than some of the other ones I've seen though.  Primos have been tested and they need to add about 200k more to the rating they have on there.

That's why I like the few that I've seen that actually give ranges.  Ghosts range wildly.  The Thais I'm growing are easily hotter than a regular orange hab

I have yellow Fataliis that are very hot, as hot as or hotter than some ghosts.
Fatalii's hotter than a Bhut?  Send me some seeds please. 

Ok well apparently this list wasn't as accurate as I thought it was; I was only interested in it because it listed so many varieties.  I knew some of the numbers were off but others I haven't grown/eaten so I had no idea...definitely would've helped if they listed ranges instead of just the max.  Anyone have the link for the official list created by the place in New Mexico?

Back