• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering A Pepper Cutback/Overwintering Question..

I didn't want to derail AJ's thread so I thought that I would post this here.

Are cayenne peppers also perennials that I could severely cut-back, overwinter and then expect lush beautiful growth and pod production the following spring/summer? Has anyone ever overwintered a cayenne plant with successful results the next growing season?

Here is the plant that I would like to try this on if it is doable. I'd hate to lose this baby to a deep freeze:

IMG_2475.jpg

JMO...

as far as I know, all peppers are perrenials if they don't frost/freeze...
I am only cutting back/overwintering chinense species because the annuums grow so quickly and produce so much fruit within about 60 days from transplant...

you should be able to cut it back and let it grow thur the winter tho...

if you have not tried the Super Cayenne II Hybrid, you should...I am growing about 7 different varieties of cayenne this year and will only grow the SC-II-H next year...no need to grow any others since this is such a big producer of good long cayennes...again, JMO

Lol well said AJ, I will be less tactful.

Brother pepper grower, to each their own! BUT......

I don't think it is worth overwintering that plant.

Get a few more posts, and sign up for the parcel post. You will be amazed at the world of peppers that opens before you!

And obviously due to your tact, you are not a worldly noob, just a pepper one.

If you are certain that you love that plant enough to overwinter, tell me to go to hell (I won't be offended) and do it!

Either way, good to have you on the site!

edit: WOW! I sound like a pepper snob when I am a relative noob myself. No offense intended, I have just realized the waste of overwintering a plant, taking up valuable space, and the next year wishing I had that space for something else! Cheers!

cheezydemon said:
Lol well said AJ, I will be less tactful.

Brother pepper grower, to each their own! BUT......

I don't think it is worth overwintering that plant.

Get a few more posts, and sign up for the parcel post. You will be amazed at the world of peppers that opens before you!

And obviously due to your tact, you are not a worldly noob, just a pepper one.

If you are certain that you love that plant enough to overwinter, tell me to go to hell (I won't be offended) and do it!

Either way, good to have you on the site!

Ooooh, slammin' a newb. Must be like an initiation right or fraternity hazing. It's all good though, I won't be deterred and the post count will continue to rise.

I happen to like the plant, even though cayennes are a dime a dozen. Probably will cut it back when the time comes. See what happens, sorta like an experiment.

Appreciate the warm welcome.

I think the parcel post is only for the U.S.:(
I agree what was previously said. Cayennes are some of the quickest growing pods and I would never overwinter one or you're just asking for an aphid problem

Is it mostly annuums POTAWIE You have aphid problems with..Ive heard its whitefly is a problem here ? :)

this past seedling season, I noticed the aphids preferred the bigger leafed annuums...like marbles...I lost every single marble plant to aphids...never, never, ever buy a plant, bring it home and put it with your seedlings that are aphid free...I won't ever bring anything in my garden I have not started from seed again...that is what started my problem back in March with aphids...lesson learned...JMO

No I don't usually overwinter C. annuums
The aphids don't seem to care what variety they eat, but they usually hit the dry or weak plants first. They also like the new flowers/growth and become even worse if useing high nitrogen fertilizers
I never get whitefly problems until the summer and even then I only get them in my greenhouse and mostly on my tomatoes. Aphids on the other hand seem to come from nowhere and breed amazingly fast, in fact I have 1 plant I brought inside to isolate and its already covered in the buggers:(

This an overwintered cayenne.

Prune yours back and be ready for spring. Overwintering gets you out of the nasty germination mess every year. Cayennes are one of the most useful chiles you will grow if you eat chiles fresh; chile growers have known this for a long time.

longum.jpg

POTAWIE said:
No I don't usually overwinter C. annuums
The aphids don't seem to care what variety they eat, but they usually hit the dry or weak plants first. They also like the new flowers/growth and become even worse if useing high nitrogen fertilizers
I never get whitefly problems until the summer and even then I only get them in my greenhouse and mostly on my tomatoes. Aphids on the other hand seem to come from nowhere and breed amazingly fast, in fact I have 1 plant I brought inside to isolate and its already covered in the buggers:(

willard3 said:
This an overwintered cayenne.

Prune yours back and be ready for spring. Overwintering gets you out of the nasty germination mess every year. Cayennes are one of the most useful chiles you will grow if you eat chiles fresh; chile growers have known this for a long time.

longum.jpg

Thank you POTAWIE And Willard good advice and its been difficult to no what to keep and what i should cut back..I will definetly cut my cayennes back :)

I'm keeping a cayenne plant myself. However, I'm starting to wonder how much room I really have. My Naga, and White hab or so big they are going to take over everything...lol!! Decisions, decisions.

Back