• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting A non-beginner lighting question!

To make a long story short, I'm trying to find a heavy-duty outside plastic cover for the GH I plan to build but am having trouble finding one that allows a significant amount of light through, based on light meter readings. Usually, the specs say the cover allow 88-92 percent light transmissions but I don't get close to that.

Just a thought - I wonder if the people who quote the statistics are using the same measurements I am. All three things I have tried, from some white construction plastic reinforced with fiberglass, to 5.2 oz. covering from FarmTek to plain white (not clear) plastic from the hardware store have Lux reading less than half on the inside of the GH compared to the outside.

But... I live in a very old house and the upstairs does not have good windows, so I line them with plastic during winter time. When I ran out of room for my seedlings this winter, I stuck some of the trays in front of the windows with the plastic covering them. No other supplemental light but the plants did not get leggy and then did not need "hardened off" when planting time came.

Is it possible the plastic is filtering certain spectra and that is what is causing much lower Lux readings? Maybe the scientists or whoever report light transmission rates are using PAR light that is getting through? Or perhaps diffused light does not raise a meter as direct light does?

AJ, you used some Visqueen like stuff on your outside chamber this year - did you see if plants would set and ripen fruit under it? Like you suggested, the 5.2 oz., 11 mil stuff is very, very similar.

Mike

I can't answer your question exactly but have you thought about approaching a poly tunnel manufacturer. They may even give you some decent sized off cuts.

Chris

Mike...I have not tried to get fruitset in my greenhouse yet...I may try it this fall and into the winter but I have a lot of work to do on it to get it ready...

The stuff that came on the greenhouse seems to let a lot of light thru but I have not metered it...with the sides down yesterday and ends open, it was 117.5 in there yesterday...the only plants inside it are three orange habs and a bunch of basil plants...they have to be watered every day..

AJ,

I've metered it and the intensity is a fraction (1/4 to 1/5) of the outside light. I had one person respond - in a different forum - who said the light transmission rates are based on PAR light, not the entire spectrum. That would account for the lower readings.

But in the last 24 hours, things have taken a dramatic change. I found there is a GH supply place almost within walking distance (< 2.5 miles) from where I live and that a paint/drywall mud store I see every week has the clear, 6 mil plastic at half the price GH supply stores want - and that doesn't include shipping.

For the first time in my life, I plan on taking this slowly - stick one corner post in the ground, add the cement mix and let everything set before moving on to the next corner post. The back side does not have to be perfect in regards to the posts, just close. But the front, if I want to use polycarb panels - the studs need to be within 1/4" max of where they should be.

If all goes as planned, I'll set the first corner pole and add the concrete tomorrow. I do plan on taking pics of everything.

Mike

Back