A New Compost Source I Thought I Would Share.

So most people probably have a lawnmower of some sort right? Well I made a discovery, and in the end it may or may not be good for compost, but the other day I found something I thought was a good thing, so it seemed like a good idea to spread the word.

We have a push mower because the yard is not too big and it was malfunctioning. So My girlfriend thought it would be a good idea to clean all of the crap off the blade which included a lot of weed whacking wire, some other crap from a child's toy, and other unidentified debris. None of that is really important but it brought something to my attention.

While it was turned upside down I said, "Lets scrape some of this stuff off of the bottom of the tray and clean it up a little..."

This was, you know, the grass clippings and such that accumulates under the part where the blade is on the actual body of the machine.. After we were done, thinking nothing of it I scraped it off the porch to a spot in one of the gardens, It was pretty well broken down after being in there and in the shed for a little while, and it was sort of a dried mud.

Well I went outside today and saw about one hundred mushrooms growing out of just that stuff. Mushrooms are a sign of good soil- so I have heard- so maybe this is a good sign?

Just thought it might be a good idea to tell you guys about a nice source of broken down plant matter you may have sitting in your shed or garage. School me if I am wrong. Hope it helps.

PepperDaddler said:
So most people probably have a lawnmower of some sort right? Well I made a discovery, and in the end it may or may not be good for compost, but the other day I found something I thought was a good thing, so it seemed like a good idea to spread the word.

We have a push mower because the yard is not too big and it was malfunctioning. So My girlfriend thought it would be a good idea to clean all of the crap off the blade which included a lot of weed whacking wire, some other crap from a child's toy, and other unidentified debris. None of that is really important but it brought something to my attention.

While it was turned upside down I said, "Lets scrape some of this stuff off of the bottom of the tray and clean it up a little..."

This was, you know, the grass clippings and such that accumulates under the part where the blade is on the actual body of the machine.. After we were done, thinking nothing of it I scraped it off the porch to a spot in one of the gardens, It was pretty well broken down after being in there and in the shed for a little while, and it was sort of a dried mud.

Well I went outside today and saw about one hundred mushrooms growing out of just that stuff. Mushrooms are a sign of good soil- so I have heard- so maybe this is a good sign?

Just thought it might be a good idea to tell you guys about a nice source of broken down plant matter you may have sitting in your shed or garage. School me if I am wrong. Hope it helps.
I did the same thing a few months back and took it and put it around a few plants, well its all long gone now, i have alot of very hungry earthworms and microbes in my soil, it did do the plants/overall area some good, its good stuff no doubt

thanks your friend Joe

It works great, unless you use one of those lawn services like Greenlawn, who knows what chemicals they use, but I personally wouldn't want that in my peppers.

My 48" seems to store a ton of it.  I pull a bunch out a couple times a year.  Never thought about using it.  I just run over the clumps once I get the deck back on lol

If you have a bag for your mower you can either just put it in your compost and it does wonders. One thing my old neighbor used to do was to drive around and if he saw someone mowing he would offer to finish their lawn if he could have the grass. Or if someone was raking leaves he would ask if he could help them finish if he could have the leaves... He made about 50 cu yards just from doing this of great soil that I still use today.

He was a smart, kind man...

I was going to mention the bag myself but forgot.

Wonder if it would be better to use the fresh or the stuff that has sat in there and broke down when you have not felt like emptying it.

Probably the stuff that has say since it will be more broke down and nutrients will be readily available for the plants themselves. Or that's what I would think?

Mushrooms growing isn't really a good sign because it means that it retains too much moisture and spreads fungus... fungus is not a friend to your plants.

On the other hand, tilling it down into the soil where it breaks down is a good idea, especially a year before a grow rather than when doing transplanting.

Back