• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors a fishing thread

nice bow on trout opener a few years back

1914663_103739212973318_8143002_n.jpg

Took a trip down to the Laurel Highlands to find some brookie action. No shortage of water or fish in that region but filled with rhododendron and mountain laurel that makes for some brutal hiking. Fish were busting yellow stimulators and parachute adams almost every other cast. 

29743527844_9b729654d7_b.jpg

29743497324_c67745a6b7_b.jpg

29763645503_9cb1358d00_b.jpg

30333077796_98277556f2_b.jpg

29742377833_6a336e7d3a_b.jpg

30077010340_9b7947fb93_b.jpg

On the way home I decided to hit a run that flows through one of Frank Lloyd Wrights most iconic works,Fallingwater. Bow and arrows casting for dinks over 300 yards on my hands and knees and that was enough!!  A nice one to check off the list though.

30098554870_bb5a8d65ed_b.jpg

30257978452_8656610231_b.jpg

30374005355_685b60efa7_b.jpg

this is the second time i catch 2 bass at a time with this bait.  went sunday do some work and fill the feeders at my camp. i wasnt gunna fish but the bass were jumping at the dragon flies...so i knew they were feeding

this is a pretty good bait , it does tend to get hung alot due to the 3 exposed hooks. 

got them from bill's scented lures off the net.  

just cast out and reel in slow, the bait makes a screwing action and smells like bubble gum to me

21kfa6g.jpg

Allegheny National Forest. Only places in this state that get fish that large are tailwaters under large bottom draining dams. They do fingerling stockings and waters stay cold enough for them to live through summer. The numbers,aren't there like the limestone streams out east,but you have a chance to catch 26-30" brownies. Tossing 6 and 7" streamers.

Usually large fish are found on the fringe of where these rivers turn into warm water fisheries. Numbers are few and fish of that caliber are not stupid. Not worth the hassle really. I would rather be in small streams where the only asshole there is me.

Other option for big browns is Lake Erie tribs. Pulling 10 pounders out of them every year. But steelhead are the big draw up there unfortunately. I think browns are way nicer fish but steelies are huge revenue.

FishinHank said:
Did they ever stock any seeforrellen browns in Erie? Those babies get big fast! They put a few in Ontario and the Finger Lakes region of NY a while back.

Not sure. Steelhead are the draw there. 15,000 guys fishing over 100 fish. Finally got some rain so the numbers in from the lake should have increased over the weekend. 

Would love to see brownies in Erie. They are there,and large ones,just not the numbers because of the focus on Steelies.

Nice! I miss the days of being able to keep sturgeon. The Sea Lions in the Columbia River system have really done a number on their populations and we can no longer keep them. Catch and release is still an option, but I'd rather not stress the fish out. Right now I could go out on the Willamette River and catch 50 Sturgeon if I wanted. Good times. 

ColdSmoke said:
Nice! I miss the days of being able to keep sturgeon. The Sea Lions in the Columbia River system have really done a number on their populations and we can no longer keep them. Catch and release is still an option, but I'd rather not stress the fish out. Right now I could go out on the Willamette River and catch 50 Sturgeon if I wanted. Good times. 

I'd like to go up your way and catch the 7gills in Willipa Bay.

SavinaRed said:
Sturgeon limits with my best friend this weekend. Mine is the smaller one at 50 inches and my friends is 58 inches.

Nice!! Where'd you catch those beauts? San Pablo? Or further up towards the Delta?

Escaped up to Timmins Ontario for a solid 4 days of fishing in some shitty weather. Late fall Brookie fishing at it's best, a little bird told me of a lake that is listed as a brook trout lake but was stocked by accident with Aurora trout at least once, couldn't pass up a opportunity like that! Sub-freezing tamps, rain, sleet & a Scottish mist that would chill to the core...........wouldn't trade one second of it!!!
022_zpsibyhxmcm.jpg

004%202_zpsgfwr287w.jpg

006%201_zpsn771v4sy.jpg

001_zpsp0ha4xpa.jpg

007%201_zpssekm5eey.jpg

021_zpskvri4pzr.jpg

Chris, you and your buddies should chip in on a canvas tent with all those camping trips you do. Maybe a cheap trailer to haul everything with. It makes enhances the experience by a ton! 

nice pics btw.

Back