• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse A couple of Greenhouse questions

We will be building a greenhouse and are trying to decide on the type of plastic to use should we use clear or 55% which is less clear. Will peppers grow beneath 55% or should they get clear anyone with any experience in this? Next question if you put peppers in a greenhouse to harden off do you have to bring them back inside and do it gradually like when you take them outside or does a greenhouse afford you the ability to just leave them in it to harden? And which plastic is better to harden? Getting ready to build a greenhouse and gotta buy some plastic.

My polytunnel has clear plastic but I put on a shade cloth to harden plants off, or on hot sunny days to lower temps.
You'll likely still have to harden plants off for wind once they leave the greenhouse

My greenhouse is polycarb, 78% light transmission so my situation doesn't exactly reflect yours, but I will throw my experience out there and you can take it into account. My plants that were grown 100% of the time in the greenhouse were able to go outside without any hardening. They had lots of air movement in the greenhouse so they were good and strong stemmed.

Last year I attempted to move plants from my grow room to outdoors and had the worst time with hardening. This year grow room plants went into the greenhouse first to harden. They did very well at adjusting to the greenhouse, no sunburn. They should be able to go outside next week without any hardening issues.

Look for one of these books. They can be found on Amazon for cheap and a just about the standard books to have for greenhouse growers. Not a lot has changed in the industry over the last 30 years so you don't need to have the latest book to be current.

Greenhouse Engineering

Ball Red Book Vol 1&2.

I can't see where you're located but if you are in the States, I suggest you give Jaderloon in Irmo, SC a call. They are very helpful and knowledgeable.

The main question is where the greenhouse is located at, and what are the weather conditions in your area. If weather is a clear sky, how many hours of direct light you have available where the greenhouse is ? How many days with clear or few clouds sky per season you usually have ?

The main question is where the greenhouse is located at, and what are the weather conditions in your area. If weather is a clear sky, how many hours of direct light you have available where the greenhouse is ? How many days with clear or few clouds sky per season you usually have ?

Am in Oregon we don't plant out til the 1st week in June because of the rain our summers last into Sept. During those times we have mostly clear sunny days and there are usually only a few weeks each year where the temps are excessively hot. Hope that helps. We intend to build it on a concrete slab using an old carport frame. Thanks for your help.

Back