• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

5 way split

Hi all,

This Bhut Jolokia split 5 ways at the top. I'm not sure how it happened. Does anybody have tips on how I can do this with some of my other pepper plants? Thanks.

6624354859_068c2bb565_z.jpg

Regards,
Edward

It's possible that when it was just starting to split there was some damage at the apex that caused some of the branches to split again. I've heard of this being done with pinching on pot plants and they call it 'supercropping'. Maybe a couple searches might turn up better information for you, I personally have never seen this done with peppers. It might not work well if at all and I'd be worried about damaging the plant. It is also possible that this is a genetic thing cause ive had plants branch 3 or 4 times by themselves.

I started pinching some of my beginning buds off and accidentally pulled the top of the plant and that happened. Its how the stickier plants get more buds. Might also be referred to as lolli-popping

I tried it with a few peppers it seemed to work.. that's how I ended up with bushy short peppers. with very few bottom leaves

Could there have been stress on the top of the plant and might have died?

I trimmed long side shoots on my plants and they all get 4-5 new stalks off the shoot after that.

I can send you some pics or post them tonight.

It's possible that when it was just starting to split there was some damage at the apex that caused some of the branches to split again. I've heard of this being done with pinching on pot plants and they call it 'supercropping'. Maybe a couple searches might turn up better information for you, I personally have never seen this done with peppers. It might not work well if at all and I'd be worried about damaging the plant. It is also possible that this is a genetic thing cause ive had plants branch 3 or 4 times by themselves.

It was slightly damaged as a 5 - 6 inch seedling. My son was "helping" me in the garden. I really didn't think that it was going to make it, but look at it now.

It was slightly damaged as a 5 - 6 inch seedling. My son was "helping" me in the garden. I really didn't think that it was going to make it, but look at it now.

There you go... I had a light fall on one of mine.. that thing is a beast now.. it took out a huge side shoot and the top and it split at least 7 ways.

Just pinch the new growth and it will double if not triple... How ya faring in the great white north...take off eehhhh....

My peppers were all brought into the garage, but the flowers that my wife had in the ground all died. She lost some of the hibiscus plants that she planted last year. We even spent last night covering all of the outside plants. She was not very happy. I've lived in Florida all my life and in Ocala for about 5 years. I can't remember it ever being this cold.

Coolness I didn't know it worked so well! Plants always impress me with their ability to take something bad and turn it into something great. That's natural selection for you. I'll have to experiment with that this year.

Back