• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

300 gallon aquaponics system

What kind of Temps are you getting during the summer where you are at? Do you have to bury the Fish tank in order to keep it cooler, or have they been fine staying above ground like that?
I would love to do one of these, but I'm not sure if the fish will survive our Summer temps here unless I bury the tank. and keep it shaded.

What kind of Temps are you getting during the summer where you are at? Do you have to bury the Fish tank in order to keep it cooler, or have they been fine staying above ground like that?
I would love to do one of these, but I'm not sure if the fish will survive our Summer temps here unless I bury the tank. and keep it shaded.

well i never took temps but everytime i touch it was nice and cool... colder than tap water... i would burry the tank, if i did not have alot of rocks in the ground around here ... i live right out side san antonio,TX so it gets real hot around here ... it was in the 100's here today, i went outside around 3pm today and it was nice and cool.....

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your grows with this method then since our temps are similar.
Good luck with everything. I hope it all goes well for you and you see great results.

I wonder if this would work with Crawfish instead of Fish... Then I could do a small Boil once a year. Hmmmm.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your grows with this method then since our temps are similar.
Good luck with everything. I hope it all goes well for you and you see great results.

I wonder if this would work with Crawfish instead of Fish... Then I could do a small Boil once a year. Hmmmm.

i think i have read about crawfish somewhere but i think if you goto this web site you will find everything you need to know...
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/

here is a web site that tells alittle about the rocks.... it is called hydroton :lol: http://www.planetnatural.com/site/hydroton-grow-media.html

Thats a nice sized aqua system you have goin on there! Hope all goes well.

ha ha me to man ...

well i got a 2 pics of some tomato plants and basil i transplanted in the aqua system ... i just washed of the dirt off from the roots and they seem to be doing fine this is day 2 .. and they are looking good!!!

IMG00633-20100823-1939.jpg

IMG00634-20100823-1940.jpg

well i am back i have my first aquaponics tomato... it looks like there might be a few more coming out... i added a few more things in there...

IMG00686-20100924-1347.jpg

IMG00687-20100924-1347.jpg

Very nice! Is there any good way to see the auto siphon in action? Do you know how deep it drains? I might need to see one in person before I try to build a bed like that. Another question... are your sprouts in rockwool or something or did you sow in the rocks?

Very nice! Is there any good way to see the auto siphon in action? Do you know how deep it drains? I might need to see one in person before I try to build a bed like that. Another question... are your sprouts in rockwool or something or did you sow in the rocks?

there is not a good way to see the siphon working .... i have pics of it when i got it from ebay... theres about 2inches of water left in the grow bed after siphoning out ... i put seeds right in the rocks. but i would like to use something later on for proper spacing ...

Very nice progress. I wish I had the room to do something like this. I could simply run a pipe from my already existing 180 gallon tank to a grow bed and just run it inside!

Back