30 ft Pepper plant/tree??

For chiles I believe 16 feet is the record, and it was a second year tepin or pequin plant grown in California

The Butch T's will get 5 & a half to 6 & a half feet tall here in full sun, the 7 Pots even taller, If I put a little shade on them
they may would get even taller. I have seen a Aji from Brazil growing in Baton Rouge that was about 16 feet tall, of course it never
died and could take a bit of cold, the pods looked just like a red hab, but had 0 heat. None of the seeds I saved from the pods sprouted.

Is there a pepper tree that can thrive in milder climates like northern europe?
It would be awsome to have a peppertre when everubodu else have apples, pears & such.:)

Is there a pepper tree that can thrive in milder climates like northern europe?
It would be awsome to have a peppertre when everubodu else have apples, pears & such.:)
2nd year locoto/rocoto/manzano's perhaps? With some branch training and overwintering i can easily see them getting "tree-like" with lots of bark. They supposedly prefer milder weather and shade. For long term growth they would want a pot of at least 10 gallons or more (+40 liters).

Another one that gets even taller and more like a tree is Habanero de Arbol, it is supposedly cold tolerant but maybe not as much as the ones i mentioned above.

Forum member smokemaster is where i got a lot of this information from, do a search for his posts for pictures and more information. Or hopefully he can chime in with better info?

Another one that gets even taller and more like a tree is Habanero de Arbol, it is supposedly cold tolerant but maybe not as much as the ones i mentioned above.

Forum member smokemaster is where i got a lot of this information from, do a search for his posts for pictures and more information. Or hopefully he can chime in with better info?

^^That's the one that the OP reminded me of. I've got one in a pot this year and three in the ground. We'll see...

Mites killed my plant-Habanero De Arbol last year.
I've been gardening on this lot for 12-13 yrs so I think it was about that old.
It got about 12-14 ft tall and was easily as wide before i trimmed it the 2nd year.
First year it grew about 5 or 6 ft wide and about 4 or 5 tall.
Second or 3rd year you could sit under it and watch it grow.
Once you trim it though it didn't grow back.
It stayed as tall as I trimmed it and just got bushier.
Mine was in a 20 gal. pot(not a #20 but 20 gal.)

Beth at Peppermania sells seeds for it this year.
It's a very prolific plant and fruits in the spring and fall.
Here in California it puts out pods allmost year round.

I got 3 replacement plants last season and 1 is putting out red pods instead of orange ones.
Chris grew some crosses I had from my plant that are red Baccatums.

The original replacement plants were straight from the grower so the red one must be a throwback to whatever it is they crossed to get the original tree.
I think it's a Chinense X Baccatum.
It likes cooler weather and doesn't do well in our 100 degree mid summer heat.It also didn't get fazed by a couple weeks of low to mid 30 degree night temps.
It also seems to like being a little root bound.Whenever I re potted it it didn't do well until the next season.I only re potted it 2 times in it's life.
The pods taste more Baccatum in the cooler weather and the summer ones taste more Chinense in the heat.
The spring pods were really more like Baccatums in taste and smell for whatever reason.

Not sure if the new plants will do very well,mites aren't gone and the plants really took a beating last season.

I did isolate a couple pods from the red one which I am not going to grow until I see if the mites will be controlable this year.

I never grew either in the ground.

Thanks, smoke. You were the one that got me to buy the seed from Beth. Very cool shots, and an intriguing plant. My first batch failed, and so I'm late in starting these. Not even a foot tall yet. The potted one sounds like it'll suffer over our summer, but the three in-ground are in a shady spot. Still hot, but less direct sun.

As long as I can nurse them through the summer, I'm looking forward to both how the plant grows and what the fruit tastes like.

Thanks for chiming in. Very cool.

Jetchuka thank you for the info.
But i was talking about the "peppercorn tree".
It would be awesome to pick fresh peppercorns.:)

Nice info there smokemaster.
I don't know if i could have a "chilitree" because that the only place that i possibly could have it is at my brother in laws place & he got small kids. Don't want them to mess up my lovely plant or try eating a hot pod thinking that it's a paprika(mild pepper in swedish)getting short of breath & rubbing their eyes and such.

But it may be a milder baccatuumvariety that works?
Are there any treelike annuums in the milder-mid range like a big growing Jalapeño or something?

Beth and I talk quite often and I sent her the seeds for the tree a couple seasons ago.
She really likes the plant and it's pods a lot.

She also is selling a goat weed strain called Chile Negro De Arbol that I sent her plants for that is another good looker that puts out the pods.

I like drying the pods from both plants for Powders to use in rubs and like to pickle the Tree hab with onions,mushrooms and smoked garlic.
Good stuff.

I'm not going to trim my Habanero de Arbol this time.I want to see how big it'll get after a few years if the mites didn't stunt it permanently.

A baccatum that is supposed to get as big is the Guampinha de Veado that beth sells.

http://www.peppermania.com/baccatum_seeds_8.html

A milder Pepper than the Tree Habanero.

This computer is too slow to go through my pics but there are better ones here:

http://s403.photobucket.com/home/smoemaster_2007

2007 is the first year I had a camera...

It's nice that the plant can tollerate milder climates.
Maybe it's a good alternative to grow on my balkony that don't get too much sun.
Is there a risk of getting hybrids if i have another baccatum out there?
I've got Hot Lemonseeds(probably bacc).
Any risk growing Jalape¨close to it?

Beth and I talk quite often and I sent her the seeds for the tree a couple seasons ago.
She really likes the plant and it's pods a lot.

She also is selling a goat weed strain called Chile Negro De Arbol that I sent her plants for that is another good looker that puts out the pods.

I like drying the pods from both plants for Powders to use in rubs and like to pickle the Tree hab with onions,mushrooms and smoked garlic.
Good stuff.

I'm not going to trim my Habanero de Arbol this time.I want to see how big it'll get after a few years if the mites didn't stunt it permanently.

A baccatum that is supposed to get as big is the Guampinha de Veado that beth sells.

http://www.peppermania.com/baccatum_seeds_8.html

A milder Pepper than the Tree Habanero.

This computer is too slow to go through my pics but there are better ones here:

http://s403.photobucket.com/home/smoemaster_2007

2007 is the first year I had a camera...

Awesomely informative post, smoke. Thank you. I may have to try the de Veado next season. Or maybe for the fall. Hmmm....

I will probably get all my seed from Beth next year, assuming everything grows true. I've had trouble with other vendors in the past, and unless I can't find it with Beth, I'm going back there.

Can't wait to see how large these HDAs get this year alone.

You only have to worry about a cross if you are planning on using the seeds the next year.
Isolate a branch or buds if you want seeds that grow true.
Even though I think the tree habanero is a possible cross of Baccatum and Chinense it puts out seeds that grow true.

I've never had any seeds I've gotten from Beth to be untrue.
I've literally purchased every variety of seeds she has sold in the last several years.

I do know what you mean about crosses and or miss represented seeds from some seed vendors.

I really like gray fuzzy pepper plants and tree types.
Purple pods are nice too. LOL

Now if I could find seeds that grow true for soccer ball sized Manzanos/Rocotos...

For chiles I believe 16 feet is the record, and it was a second year tepin or pequin plant grown in California

WTF they are only meant to get to less than a meter high. I just planted one 3 months ago :eek:

Nice chilli BTW, little pocket rockets.

Back