• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

3 Cotlydons, keep it or cull it?

I have a cotlydon that came up with 3 "leaves". I have seen people say to cull them because they won't produce, and have seen people have them be the star of the garden. What do you think??

If you had a human baby that came out with an extra finger or toe, would you kill it? Probably you'd keep it and maybe even find that "extra" digit was useful. The purpose of cotyledons is, in part, to feed the plant while it's in its earliest development. A little "extra" self-produced food never hurts. Someone claiming a third cotyledon means it won't produce are either going on hearsay or the experience of a grower whose conditions you don't know - could be the individual didn't water and feed it appropriately, for example, or maybe didn't give it enough sunlight. Fact is that outdoor conditions vary from year to year in any locality, so production does, too. Keep it and let it do its thing.

I've grown seedlings with three cotyledons to full size plants. I don't see a difference in production. I can see it having an advantage early on since it has an extra leaf for photosynthesis.

Keep. The only downside is come harvest, it's harder to reach peppers. Then again, because they grow so much faster, you can get one or so extra harvests in per year.
They grow leaves in sets of three also. At least sometimes. One of them grew branches in sets of three, and made even grew branched pods. Let us know how it goes in 6 months or so.

cruzzfish said:
Keep. The only downside is come harvest, it's harder to reach peppers. Then again, because they grow so much faster, you can get one or so extra harvests in per year.
They grow leaves in sets of three also. At least sometimes. One of them grew branches in sets of three, and made even grew branched pods. Let us know how it goes in 6 months or so.

Huh? Never heard this before. Can anyone document?

neoguy said:

Huh? Never heard this before. Can anyone document?
All i have is the dead plant. :(
Was in aero and the power went out for a day. Never got around to throwing it out because it's holding a douglah up, and you can see the greater density in branches vs the living one. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Three cotyledon seedlings happen all the time and they are identical to two cotyledon ones.

More rarely four or more cotyledons appear. I've not observed any of them growing differently, but others have experiences with them branching immediately.

This is one of mine:
fourcotyledons.jpg

cruzzfish said:
Huh?

To the OP, it makes no difference. 3 cots or 2. It happens quite often.

Back