• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds 2nd Crack at Seeds

Ok, here's what I did. It might not be the best, but hopefully I'll get some germination.

I took the old cups from the Bonnie's plants I just put in the ground, and filled them with Miracle Grow (I know, Passow...It's what I have) Garden Soil. Then I made a 1/2" deep hole with my finger and dropped the seeds, lightly covering them loosely with soil. I soaked them good and put them out in the direct sun, on the concrete patio. They'll get about 10 hours of direct sun a day. Temps are in the 80's during the day and 50's at night.

Anything else I need to do????

DevilDuck said:
Ok, here's what I did. It might not be the best, but hopefully I'll get some germination.

I took the old cups from the Bonnie's plants I just put in the ground, and filled them with Miracle Grow (I know, Passow...It's what I have) Garden Soil. Then I made a 1/2" deep hole with my finger and dropped the seeds, lightly covering them loosely with soil. I soaked them good and put them out in the direct sun, on the concrete patio. They'll get about 10 hours of direct sun a day. Temps are in the 80's during the day and 50's at night.

Anything else I need to do????
Look at them every day and make sure the are happy. Send them happy thoughts. Let the soil dry out briefly every four days before sprouting. And for pete's sake, stop using that crappy soil for food products. :rolleyes: ;)

imaguitargod said:
Look at them every day and make sure the are happy. Send them happy thoughts. Let the soil dry out briefly every four days before sprouting. And for pete's sake, stop using that crappy soil for food products. :) ;)

See, this is my frustration with Miracle Grow. It's almost impossible to find anything but Miracle Grow or one of its clones. I mean, it's fine for the impatiens in the window box on the front porch, but it's absolutely not what I want for the containers with peppers and tomatoes.

I want choices!!

Pam said:
See, this is my frustration with Miracle Grow. It's almost impossible to find anything but Miracle Grow or one of its clones. I mean, it's fine for the impatiens in the window box on the front porch, but it's absolutely not what I want for the containers with peppers and tomatoes.

I want choices!!

Is it just that there are better products out there or do you mean Miracle Grow has something in it that you shouldn't grow food you eat in it?

I think all my tomatos and peppers are in a soil mix from Miracle Grow.

RedThumb said:
Is it just that there are better products out there or do you mean Miracle Grow has something in it that you shouldn't grow food you eat in it?

Yes and yes. Mirical Grow=big company that doesn't really care. Mirical Grow=Lots of chemicals.

RedThumb said:

I don't think Miracle Grow is dangerous; but it's very high nitrogen, and nitrogen promotes green growth, not fruit production. Plus it is a chemical fertilizer, and I do prefer to do things as organically as possible. And, well, *I* want to control the fertilization schedule for *my* plants. I want to be able to tweak things as I see it is necessary.

Miracle Grow is not evil, it's just ubiquitous. I have to go to a nursery and pay higher prices to get high quality potting soil with no chemical fertilizer additives.

And do take note, I have seen a couple of Miracle Grow clones that have pesticide additives, too. These days you have to read your potting soil contents as closely as you read your food contents.

Personally I use the Ferti-Lome fish emulsion for my fertilizer. It's all natural and peppers love it. The only drawback is that you can't use it indoors because the stink is something else! Sure works good though.

Pam said:
I don't think Miracle Grow is dangerous; but it's very high nitrogen, and nitrogen promotes green growth, not fruit production. Plus it is a chemical fertilizer, and I do prefer to do things as organically as possible. And, well, *I* want to control the fertilization schedule for *my* plants. I want to be able to tweak things as I see it is necessary.

Miracle Grow is not evil, it's just ubiquitous. I have to go to a nursery and pay higher prices to get high quality potting soil with no chemical fertilizer additives.

And do take note, I have seen a couple of Miracle Grow clones that have pesticide additives, too. These days you have to read your potting soil contents as closely as you read your food contents.

I gave up on potting soils and have switched to Cocotek bricks. I will let you know how it goes with them. So far the plants are loving life with the coco.

P_Schneider said:
I gave up on potting soils and have switched to Cocotek bricks. I will let you know how it goes with them. So far the plants are loving life with the coco.

I use coconut fiber bricks when I make my own potting soil, so I agree they're good stuff.

P_Schneider said:

Everything I grow is in Botanicare coco fiber. For best results use fertilizer designed specifically for use with coco coir, ie: Hesi Coco or other equivalent. Treat it like a hydro medium instead of like potting soil and you'll shit at how fast things grow. Never let it dry out and water with nutes til runoff once ever 48 hours = hydro like growth rates.

first you brought MacDonalds now there is Miracle Grow everywhere. Lots of gardeners seem to us it, on some forums it seems to be the only soil and fertiliser allowed. Ok, I understand it is nice to SEE them grow but when you have green fingers you should try to avoid chemicals don't you (we) ? You can see them grow as well when you feed nettle tea (high in nitrogen as well) but that doesn't come in bottles and smells a 'bit' like a sewer so you don't make and keep it in the kitchen.
I don't know how things are done where you live but in Europe we mainly use groundwater as our source for drinking water, and that's where all the chemicals end up; Ok that groundwater is cleaned but that has it's cost as well.
Freedom for everyone but it makes my gardening more fun to get the best results possible without chemicals, it is probably a bit harder to do but more rewarding as well... don't take my word for it, just give it a try...

Just following on from this, how long do seeds tend to last. Do they fail to germinate after a year or two in storage?

oh yes, the second year please send all your leftover seeds to me ;)

I grew perfect tomatoplants from seven year old seeds this season and all the plants are doing well - germination is easier with fresh seed though, but when you can control the circumstances a bit (moisture, heat, ... like in a thermostatically controled heated propagator) germination rates should stay high enough.
But really don't take the risk, just send it over to me :P pm me if you want my adress hehe

Dude, more than happy to trade a seed or two. All I have at the moment are a bunch of Organic Piri Piri from Portugal if you have anything interesting I'd send a few over if you like.

Back