• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2011 Grow log

Starting out w/ a seed that just popped after being underground for > a month. I put both serrano seeds and jalapeno seeds in this pot. They didn't seem to sprout so I forgot about them. I'd be happy w/ either one because that would make the 4th different strain that I've grown. Already had some success w/ Kung Pao, phrik khi nu, & Hab's

5521325274_6c517a8ece.jpg

You have quite the farm going there. The plants are looking great. I'm jealous of your Hab plants. I having some issues with mine. :(

way to go dot dude,

your habs are looking yummy
do not fret about a plant or two not making it
i have killed many more than that :crazy:

it takes a little effort and alot of patience
to get any peppers at all

it looks like the one perón there may give some flowers
as that is what happens at the crux

the sick looking one may want a little more shade
(but it is a guess only)

do not give up until they give you what you want
and you want more peppers

You have quite the farm going there. The plants are looking great. I'm jealous of your Hab plants. I having some issues with mine. :(

I saw that your kung pao ripened on the vine when you had some doubts. Whats the deal w/ your habs?
way to go dot dude,

your habs are looking yummy
do not fret about a plant or two not making it
i have killed many more than that :crazy:

it takes a little effort and alot of patience
to get any peppers at all

it looks like the one perón there may give some flowers
as that is what happens at the crux

the sick looking one may want a little more shade
(but it is a guess only)

do not give up until they give you what you want
and you want more peppers
thanks for the tips & encouragement.

Here's an update on my Rocoto's & Jalapeno seedlings. The seedlings seem especially fragile just like the serrano's I attempted to bring to fruition. I'm keeping a closer eye on these. I decided to cut the seed casings off too as they seemed like they would never let go.:

5772469320_672e3d8e94_z.jpg

A pic of an older Rocoto next to the younger/healthier ones:

5772469472_6c7e73dbe8_z.jpg

The oldest & healthiest Rocoto :-) I put a stick there to help keep it standing when its windy outside
5772469182_8d7e159723_z.jpg

jalapeños coming right along. :dance: You can see the true leaves came out on the inner four. I added upstarts from my "under the kitchen sink" germination room to the periphery. I'll re- pot them when they get some more strength :)

5799972745_b6b1cbd2df_z.jpg

Good stuff. They are looking good.
Germination is a roll of the dice for me because I don't have a heating pad. These were fresh seeds from a jalapeno from the grocery. They sprouted easily for some reason using the zip loc bag & damp, paper towel method. Doesn't always work for me.

Jalapenos are coming along, slowly but surely :woohoo: Haven't grown them before & have plenty of uses for the pods if I can get them through to production :dance:

5822843799_5beb461a3f_z.jpg

Update: My habs are almost ready to make one small jar of sauce:

5849621974_95caf33cc1_z.jpg

5849065613_eaeecb3428_z.jpg

This hab is a little behind schedule because I pruned it thinking that I would have too many habs to know what to do with.

5849622348_23f6d65d66_z.jpg

I have since come across a recipe that Justaguy linked: http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/22127-first-attempt-at-making-sauce-question/page__view__findpost__p__462304

Here's my over-wintered Thai pepper plant (phrik khi nu). This thing grows like a weed :eek: I can forget to water it or forget to put it in the sun & it STILL grows by leaps and bounds :D I cut it down to a 6" stalk & now it looks like this:

5849622244_c5ec2517ed_z.jpg

My Rocoto (thanks to nitwit for the seeds ;) ) Jalapeno seedlings on the right (they seem to be a little slow-growing or maybe I'm too impatient :oops: )

5849065367_d61cc91292_z.jpg

Lookin good, I like those orange habs, they want close to 6 bucks an lb. in the grocer where I live. Have you thought about giving that thai a haircut to produce lateral growth and stockier stems?

Lookin good, I like those orange habs, they want close to 6 bucks an lb. in the grocer where I live. Have you thought about giving that thai a haircut to produce lateral growth and stockier stems?
Good point. I think I'll do that. I've seen other people here do it and it does produce better results. Any particular place to cut? I ask because this is only my 2nd season growing. i started late last summer.

Edit: I just trimmed it down. I wasn't paying attention. I want shorter/bushier/higher-yielding plants.

Harvested my orange habs to make a sauce but decided to keep this one plant because it looks so healthy & has blossoms forming:

5878767946_3c31127d0b_z.jpg

I slaughtered the other two plants because I have to make way for these hotter peppers- jolokia, choc hab, 7-pod yellow, choc bhut, etc... :

5878206795_09cd961ccf_z.jpg

Two pots on the left are Rocoto, 2nd pot from the right is jalapeno, & pot on the right is Nambe Pueblo

5878206733_73647fe68e_z.jpg

Thanks to all of those who've helped me w/ seeds & tips/encouragement. I still have a lot of learning to do though. I'm definitely going to have to get some bigger pots if most of my seedlings reach adulthood

That orange hab certainly does look healthy. It also looks like you have some nice varieties sprouting there. Are these all going to be grown in your window sill? Just go do some guerrilla gardening down in that courtyard.

That orange hab certainly does look healthy. It also looks like you have some nice varieties sprouting there. Are these all going to be grown in your window sill? Just go do some guerrilla gardening down in that courtyard.
Very good idea. Yeah, I live in a 4th floor apartment. Its especially slow going now as the sun has moved higher in the sky & I, consequently, only get a few hours of direct sunlight before it moves over the roof.

Never grew peppers in the ground before. Alas, one day

Back