pics 2009 Lets Go , some Pics

Whooooo Hoooooo, been to busy doin stuff with family to notice my babies,, went out this Morn for a day in Yard and took a few pics...

as got sand for soil due to living at beach, just found out ya can move Chilli's ANYTIME when in sand as they love it, due to Renting kept all in Pots,, Heres Mrs Morich in Ground Now.

morichground.jpg

the Yellow 7 Pod, was going "awwwww" and saw this

lilyeoow7pod.jpg

my Fav Plant , 1 of the Bih's.. bout an inch of being as tall as me.. i love this plant

BihLove.jpg

here is My Fav plant for 2009 and may even put this baby in the royal easter show,, the ButchT "Trinidad Scorpion" thanks Butch for the seeds, this is the most outstanding Plant ive ever had, can't wait for the 100+ flowers to fruit.........

trinidadscorpion.jpg

ooooooooooo i see a lil pod,, hahahah missed it when looking at..

ok im off to build a garden Next door and put 30 naga's in the ground,, yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I said it before and I'll say it again. the Australian sun is amazing! you're all lucky guys for having such a great weather! I'm so moving to Australia at some point.

Moved some Big bacatuums to Andrews and put in ground so had tub space, Scotch Bonnets

Bonnetsground.jpg

oh and the Galapagos Tomato,,that was sent to me to try grow as needed certain conditons apparently,, its over a metre and this is what they look like, nice and sweet love them..

Galapagos2.jpg

Bents coming tomorrow to have a look and Try, gonnnna be a fun day,, even saving this weeks test till he gets here so can see 1 live.. cant wait , a 50% chocolate Hab sauce sent to me from a grower in Germany :)

Those are the most terrible plants that I have seen they just look down right dangerous like the lil pods will explode, then burn the life right out of you. I never tried eating the leaves I will try that though they look less dangerous. ooooooooooooo pft those are down right super duper I can't wait till spring starts here and the temps warm up but not for a few months. Great Job What size of tubs do you use? Just wondering

okie joe said:
I never tried eating the leaves I will try that though they look less dangerous.

I figured since peppers are a member of the solanacea(nightshade) family that the leaves would be toxic, similar to tomatoes or potatoes (and of course belladonna). However they appear to be edible. On wikipedia, only capsicum annuum and capsicum frutescens are listed as edible, but wikipedia is just a guide, not always a trusty resource.

I did also find a recipe for "Chicken Tinola" which is an asian soup that calls for pepper leaves....

http://www.elook.org/recipes/asian/11732.html

and also:
"Chili pepper plant leaves, mildly bitter, are cooked as greens in Filipino cuisine, where they are called dahon ng sili (literally "chili leaves"). They are used in the chicken soup, "tinola.[1]

In Korean cuisine, the leaves may be used in kimchi. (풋고추잎 깍두기).[8]

In Japanese cuisine, the leaves are cooked as greens, and also cooked in tsukudani style for preservation."

Interesting. I ran outside and tried one. It is indeed mildy bitter, but less so than escarole or endive. My plants are done for the season anyway, so I just may have to try this.

Nice plants! Cant wait to get some naga or jolokia seeds, those ones look evil, to the point I shouldnt be growing them.

Omri, I know what you mean with regards to sunlight. My wife is canadian, and it took her a full summer before she grasped that you could get burnt in 15-20 mins, not the 2-3 hours she was used to.

theHippySeedCo said:
my Fav Plant , 1 of the Bih's.. bout an inch of being as tall as me.. i love this plant

BihLove.jpg

Ahhh a boy and his plant... or are you imitating a kangaroo or a koala?

So how do Aussies like us Canadians? I think I wanna move there too!:onfire:

Txclosetgrower said:
I figured since peppers are a member of the solanacea(nightshade) family that the leaves would be toxic, similar to tomatoes or potatoes (and of course belladonna). However they appear to be edible. On wikipedia, only capsicum annuum and capsicum frutescens are listed as edible, but wikipedia is just a guide, not always a trusty resource.

I did also find a recipe for "Chicken Tinola" which is an asian soup that calls for pepper leaves....

http://www.elook.org/recipes/asian/11732.html

and also:
"Chili pepper plant leaves, mildly bitter, are cooked as greens in Filipino cuisine, where they are called dahon ng sili (literally "chili leaves"). They are used in the chicken soup, "tinola.[1]

In Korean cuisine, the leaves may be used in kimchi. (풋고추잎 깍두기).[8]

In Japanese cuisine, the leaves are cooked as greens, and also cooked in tsukudani style for preservation."

Interesting. I ran outside and tried one. It is indeed mildy bitter, but less so than escarole or endive. My plants are done for the season anyway, so I just may have to try this.

Mmmm kimchi. I have to try this tooo!

McGoo said:
Nice plants! Cant wait to get some naga or jolokia seeds, those ones look evil, to the point I shouldnt be growing them.

Omri, I know what you mean with regards to sunlight. My wife is canadian, and it took her a full summer before she grasped that you could get burnt in 15-20 mins, not the 2-3 hours she was used to.
Hehehe... here in the summer it takes less, but the plants sure don't look anything like that. the only plants I've ever grown that got anything close were growing indoors with probably the most expensive lighting setup EVER! and I added hormones, too. :oops:

Great looking plants you have down under Neil. I really like how this forum works in that when it is winter here it is middle of summer in Oz. Cannot wait to see your harvest pictures coming soon. Really nice job caring for your plants.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Great looking plants you have down under Neil. I really like how this forum works in that when it is winter here it is middle of summer in Oz. Cannot wait to see your harvest pictures coming soon. Really nice job caring for your plants.

It keeps you motivated when you see these plants in the middle of our winter!

the pics are great and have me chompin' at the bits to get started...and if I run out of room it is going to be all the aussies fault... :lol:

Back