• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite 1 or 2 favorite peppers to grow for 2016

Ok, I know it's early but I'm looking into my 2016 season and trying to figure out what to grow. I'm going to expand some on my baccatums as well as grow some more chinense peppers. My question to the group is, if you had space for only one or two pepper varieties what would you grow? What are your favorites? I'm looking for anything that tastes great, looks great, grows great, is interesting or unusual or versatile. What are your "must haves"?

My favorites for flavor so far are Aji Fantasy (mild), MoA Scotch Bonnet (medium), CARDI Yellow Scorpion (hot), 7 Pot Jonah (super).

If I could really grow only two I would probably pick the Fantasy and the CARDI.

There are so many i will have to grow next year, but the first 5 that come to mind that i will definitely be growing are;

Yellow Bubblegum 7

Aribibi Gusano

Aji Fantasy

Tepin x lemon drop

Inca drop

well if i only had space for 2 i would want 2 i know are good and produce well
And it'd have to be something i can't get in the supermarket... so none of the super common poblanos, jalapenos, etc

Habanero Paper lantern are very productive and don't have as much of the habanero floral / soapy flavor some can have. they are not superhot so still edible on a sandwich / salad / soup.

Then i'd probably grow a superhot just for kicks probably a chocolate, like choc ghost, scorp, or brainstrain.

MiChris said:
I'm going to expand some on my baccatums as well as grow some more chinense peppers.

Wow. There aren't many growers that start with baccatums. Good on ya!  Careful with C.chinense because most of the popular varieties are all about the heat, not the flavor. 

Here are my chinense choices based strictly on flavor.  (Behind these, the true bhut jolokia lurks. One of my all time favorites for heat and flavor. Likewise fatalii.)

Mako Akokasrade.  African, rare.  Nothing like you'd expect.  No hint of habanero; lots of spice.  Atypical heat, starting from the back of the mouth.

"Bhut Jolokia, white" from CCN.  Not a BJ color and BOB knows why they name it so.  But outstanding flavor and decent, though not BJ level heat.  There are several 'white BJs' and some suck, but this is the real deal.  Buy the plants from them if you can't find the seeds.

Rymerpt said:
Bishops crown

Brazilian starfish

What, there's a difference?  AFAICT it's just the pod shape  Otherwise the same. 

Diversify.

Yeah, I would after seeing some replies, have to add scotch bonnets to the list.
When I was a newbie, selecting 2 was easy because of my lack of experience and exposure to the multitude of varieties available. Now, it is impossible to be satisfied with just 2.
And it gets more difficult every day

Hmmm ... just two would be very tough but:

TS Yellow CARDI (honorable mention Bhut Orange Copenhagen) and Naga Morich (honorable mention to Bhut Jolokia). I could make a lot of yellow and red sauce and powder with those two that would probably satisfy me (and my friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc) through the long winter. :)

DMF said:

Careful with C.chinense because most of the popular varieties are all about the heat, not the flavor. 

I beg to differ. Not denying there is heat and lots of it. but in many cases there is an equal amount of flavor in them as well.

Bolsa de Dulce - this has become my favorite "grab and eat fresh" pepper, just edging out Brazilian Starfish and Cream Fatalii

7 Pot White (or TS Yellow CARDI) - both are flavorful and versatile peppers with plenty of heat.

DMF said:
Wow. There aren't many growers that start with baccatums. Good on ya!  Careful with C.chinense because most of the popular varieties are all about the heat, not the flavor. 
Not starting new, I've been growing baccatums and many varieties of chinense for a quite a few years now, and I starting growing orange habs 20 years ago before most people had ever heard of them. I just have limited garden space and was wondering what you all thought were the best out there to see if there were any great peppers I've been overlooking.

My personal favorites, for what it's worth are the Galapagos red habanero, the CGN 21500, and the el oro de Equador.

Back