seeds Seedling dilemma: to split or not to split?

I started some seeds roughly 2 weeks ago in a tray I got from work.  The tray has 72 cells for the 6 varieities I'm starting = 12 cells per type.  Since I had more than 12 seeds for some varieties I put 2 or 3 seeds in each cell figuring it would increase my chances of successful germination.  Now I have some cells with two seedlings in each and they all seem to be doing well, but my question is would it be better to separate the seedlings and give them their own soil so they aren't competing for nutes/water/space/etc? Or should I let them keep sharing the same cell?  How can I go about separating them without damaging the root systems?

I let them share the same cell for a while, and I have done upwards of 30 plants per cell.

Dont worry too much about the roots unless you do it really early and they dont have many.

When I am doing plants to sell or just need a lot of some types I do this:

_MG_6992_zps8caa854b.jpg

And get this...

_MG_6989_zpsfe112cd6.jpg

Separation is fairly easy and nothing to worry too much about.

My separating attempts last year weren't successful but I doubt it was relating to separating them and more to the potting soil I transplanted them in....

I removed the starting mix to manually separate the roots with the intent to damage as little as possible.... most that went directly into the raised beds survived, those that didn't have a bed ready at the time went into cups and didn't make it, regardless of how long they were in potting soil in cups before going into the beds....
But then I had one that I didn't bother separating and they both went into a bed with at most an inch between main stems and both produced....

You could also try separating the seedlings by moving them back-and-forth in lukewarm water while gently pulling them apart in opposite directions. This removes the soil and makes it very easy to separate the seedlings without damaging the roots. I've had great success using this method.

...or you could just pinch off the weakest looking ones :)

I always plant multiple seeds and separate any multiple seedlings.  I usually have planted three to five in each 3 oz. cup. 

I am intrigued by the approach that mx5inpa is using!  I'm going to try that.  Think of the space it would save in the germination station.

Best,

Big Mike

Visit us Online: www.knot2worry.us

Most folks don't have any problem separating them out. Drives me nuts. Sets the separated plants back a week in my experience. Then again sometimes it goes off without a hitch. 

I have found that if I get to many starts in a container, or if I let them get to large before splitting them up, I have more difficulty in separating them without damaging some of the roots.  If it is only 2-3 in a container and they are not all in the same spot, it seems to work out real well because I can keep dirt around each of them.  But I agree with Bjorson, that separating them in watrer when the roots are tangled up seems to work out well and I do not lose as many that way.  Guess it just depends on how much patience you have and if you are not heavy handed like me.

I do find that when I have to get them down to the bare roots to transplant, it does seem to take them a bit more time to recover and start growing again compared to the ones that were able to keep dirt around the root system.

Just my experience

Back