beer November Brewdown - New England style IPA

What is the guideline on a Belgian spiced ale or a commercial example?
Are dubbel, quads, tripels, and strongs all acceptable?

I've got Ozzy's tripel in primary, I'll 'spice it in secondary ' and send THAT provided the Columbus didn't make it suck terribly ...

Or I can not bother, but I'm not brewing another Belgian next ... it's all good!

wheebz said:
well then lets do like a spiced belgian ale for december, and a RIS for january?

that way you have time for the russian, and you can bang out a spiced belgian in like 14 days

Does this mean we can do our RIS now for January or does the more time mean that we can start January 1st if we want since we know ahead of time what the style will be
I guess I am out for this one.  Can't stand the holiday spiced beers and also can't stand Belgian beers

I'm just over here reiterating my previous suggestion that we post-mark beers of our choice by the 31st every month, and wheebz crowns a Beer of the Month, taking into considering anything and everything as he sees fit (relevence, quality, inventiveness, timeliness, seasonality, flavor whatever) ...

grantmichaels said:
I'm just over here reiterating my previous suggestion that we post-mark beers of our choice by the 31st every month, and wheebz crowns a Beer of the Month, taking into considering anything and everything as he sees fit (relevence, quality, inventiveness, timeliness, seasonality, flavor whatever) ...

That sounds like fun too. I'm brewing a Belgian Wit tonight anyway, for a friends Birthday at the end of this month.

well do we just want to completely nix the monthly category for brewdowns?

and just have everyone send in a bottle of whatever for judging?

wheebz said:
well do we just want to completely nix the monthly category for brewdowns?

and just have everyone send in a bottle of whatever for judging?

yes, for the love of god ...
Ozzy2001 said:
I prefer having a category given to us, but I'm fine with brewing what you want if more people will join in.
wheebz can still spec YOU out a style ...

wheebz can help everyone with recipes ...

everyone's happy ...

See I get where ozzy is coming from and I like that one a lot better, but grant its like you dont want to ever brew anything that you arent going to drink, which means you need to start to learn to like more styles :)

If you ever go to homebrew club meetings, or any homebrew events ever for that matter, there is always a certain theme, like every month you brew a certain style of beer to get brought in a shared with the group

You dont want to brew a belgian beer, why not? Do you know how many ideas you can have for a belgian?

Sour, funky, sweet, hoppy, pale, malty, roasty, jesus the categories never end

Make a 10% Belgian stout with coffee, ferment it mid 60's with a belgian ale strain, like belgian golden, or monestary, and you get super subtle belgian character but still that huge malty sweet high ABV roasty imperial stout deal

toss is some orange peel and you now have a spiced belgian chocolate stout with coffee that I know you would drink the shit out of, and it falls into the spiced belgian category

Back