• Do you need help identifying a ๐ŸŒถ?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? ๐Ÿคง
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

annuum Japanese Takanotsume

Hi Guy's

This is a Japanese Capsicum annuum variety I grew in 2022 I believe its the hottest Japanese variety they have approx 30,000 shu also known as "Hawks claw" upright pointing chillies.

I was impressed with this variety good yield nice heat great crumbling pasta dishes nice flavour ๐Ÿ˜‹

20221004_095313.jpg

Mine had quite blunt tips were as a plant I gave to a friend had much sharper tips.
20220727_144010.jpg
20220804_142249.jpg
20220808_145629.jpg

20220808_145643.jpg

Nice compact plant I'm planning on growing it again in 2024 in a 5 litre Kratky hydroponic bucket.

I believe the japanese only use it as powder and as I understand it pull the whole plant invert and dry the whole plant and chillies before harvesting the pod's !

Stephen

Last edited:
That is the only pepper I have grown this year.
I had 5 but a bad storm took out three a few weeks back. Of course, my biggest and best ones because they caught the wind so well. But I still have one good one and one that got bent badly but is still hanging on. I usually grow goat peppers but none sprouted this year.
Kratky is the only way I grow anymore here in Florida.
Just went out and took this video. Still a bit windy today.

Jdee

I'm growing Takanosume again this season and it's doing better than my Ring of fire at present strong , vigorous plants........even in my cold little Scottish greenhouse !

It has impressed me regarding it's strength and vigour plus its compact nature, I'd recommend it to anyone to try :thumbsup: pleasant flavour too

Stephen

Great on burgers and in stir-fry
I like that they are small and work so well in just a Kratky 2 qt. container.

Sorry your plants got clobbered @Jdee. The two that are left look great. It's still morning, but I've already learned something today - how to pick up a full-sized hydro tomato to replace/replenish nutes. Never really thought about it before, but I am impressed, lol! Thanks for sharing.

Hey @Englander this is a beautiful plant! Hopefully I get to grow it at some point!

Something that I noticed and wanted to ask about: from my perspective it looks like there are multiple fruit per node-could this be a C. frutescens type?

Hi Guy's

2024 I'm growing Takanosume again one in soil that's a present a good friend and the second I'm keeping myself in 5 litre kratky for the first time.

Interestingly sown side by side with Ring of fire which I've always considered the earliest chillie the Takanosume is way ahead ! ๐Ÿ™‚

Root system of my kratky Takanosume is much better developed than my kratky Ring of fire.

Difference being I always harvest Ring of fire pod's green but leave the Takanosume pod's on till the plants done.

This is a Japanese Capsicum annuum variety I grew in 2022 I believe its the hottest Japanese variety they have approx 30,000 shu also known as "Hawks claw" upright pointing chillies.

I'm in Japan, and Takanotsume is one of the most common hot peppers here. I'm growing one myself too (along with the other two domestic variants I talk about below). It is by far the most common spicy pepper to sell as seedlings in home / garden centers, basically everybody stocks it.

The Japanese name ้ทนใฎ็ˆช literally translates to "Hawk's claw".

It is not the hottest of the common Japanese variants.

I believe that honor goes to the Ogon pepper (้ป„้‡‘, meaning yellow gold), which is a yellow variant. Unlike the Takanotsume, the peppers are not upright, and they are quite a bit bigger. There is also a variant I see in many home / garden centers simply labelled as Gekikara (ใ‚ฒใ‚ญใ‚ซใƒฉ/ๆฟ€่พ›), which just means "very spicy". I'm not sure if this is just a single variant, but they are red chilis in the "standard" chili shape. I think both are annuum variants.

I got all 3 of them as seedlings at the same time, and the Takanotsume is by far the fastest and most vigorous grower.

I believe the japanese only use it as powder

Yes, it is most commonly used as a powder, and it is the standard pepper to use in commercially available Ichimi and Shichimi chili powder, which is the "standard" chili powder here. You can also find them fresh in vegetable markets when they are in season, or as whole dried.

and as I understand it pull the whole plant invert and dry the whole plant and chillies before harvesting the pod's !

In the autumn I often see bunches of branches with dried peppers and some leaves still on the branches sold that way.

I've grown takanotsume, which I liked, but am currently growing yatsufusa, which I think is a bit hotter and a bit better. My favorite JP variety so far has been nambu (ๅ—้ƒจๅคง้•ท), though; pretty mild, but prolific with nice beefy pods.

Back