• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

I've been there ...

Like toasting a fresh from the oven bagel. Blasphemy! 

"Can I get that toasted?!" Real deal bagel joints will cringe or tell you it's fresh or they are still warm. They're used to it now, but it's a good tourist or transplant indicator.

Note to the rest of the planet. You never toast a fresh bagel.

The Hot Pepper said:
Like toasting a fresh from the oven bagel. Blasphemy! 

"Can I get that toasted?!" Real deal bagel joints will cringe or tell you it's fresh or they are still warm. They're used to it now, but it's a good tourist or transplant indicator.

Note to the rest of the planet. You never toast a fresh bagel.

Not my style….as nothing beats a fresh baked bagel….but Blasphemy?  It could be a texture thing, some times you feel like a crunch sometimes you don't.  I am also confused by the video.  Is there only ONE way to eat bread?  I would really like to know what it is.

Bakers passionate about their loaf, watching it a) not get sectioned/sliced, then b) have the middle pulled out, and finally c) made soggy with liquid ...

grantmichaels said:
Bakers passionate about their loaf, watching it a) not get sectioned/sliced, then b) have the middle pulled out, and finally c) made soggy with liquid ...

I get it…but if someone sliced it and made an sammie…couldn't it get soggy from dressing, mayo, mustard etc.

I would just be happy they are eating my bread.   Pulling the middle out is pretty common.  I have seen it done with Italian bread before making a hero, with bagels also.  I think some feel that they are saving calories by doing so and others just like the texture of the outside of a well baked loaf.  

I would have loved to see at the end of the video how they preferred their bread to be eaten/served.  

tctenten said:
Not my style….as nothing beats a fresh baked bagel….but Blasphemy?  It could be a texture thing, some times you feel like a crunch sometimes you don't.  I am also confused by the video.  Is there only ONE way to eat bread?  I would really like to know what it is.

Yeah and some people like bread bowls lol... but you will get the same reaction here. And by fresh I mean out of the oven. If it's been sitting an hour or more you can toast to wake it up or because you want it warm. They get dense fast. The good joints crank them out so when you walk in you can get a fresh warm one fluffy on the inside. These places actually will not toast it. They don't even have toasters. Like H&H.

tctenten said:

I get it…but if someone sliced it and made an sammie…couldn't it get soggy from dressing, mayo, mustard etc.

I would just be happy they are eating my bread.   Pulling the middle out is pretty common.  I have seen it done with Italian bread before making a hero, with bagels also.  I think some feel that they are saving calories by doing so and others just like the texture of the outside of a well baked loaf.  

I would have loved to see at the end of the video how they preferred their bread to be eaten/served.  

So, this is lost on you? ... Interesting ...

I totally get their pain.

I have to make hideous shit for people sometimes - things that violate well-known architectural design patterns/ratios etc ...

There are geometric contributions that largely define what's generally considered beautiful.

Perhaps none more so than Archimedes spiral.

Artisans watching their works be bastardized...

That doesn't mean we don't enjoy a lot of the bastardizations...

It was funny...

grantmichaels said:

So, this is lost on you? ... Interesting ...

I totally get their pain.

I have to make hideous shit for people sometimes - things that violate well-known architectural design patterns/ratios etc ...

There are geometric contributions that largely define what's generally considered beautiful.

Perhaps none more so than Archimedes spiral.

The customer is always right…right?   I just think it is completely a preference thing.   Look at what the boss is saying about bagels, he is providing what he feels is the right way to eat a fresh bagel.  I would have loved to know how those bakers felt was the right way to enjoy their bread.  Plain? With butter?  With a dipping oil?  Clearly soup wasn't what they wanted to see.  

Fuct that I want my bagel toasted, don't care ifin it's fresh or still warm here's my money toast my damn bagel.  I gotcha tourist right here lol...

I am a texture/crunch craving beer swilling hot sauce making strange and wonderful bird.  I care not for your flaccid bagels nigh!! 

edit:  I also believe that making a bola into a bread bowl is akin to art itself, and any baker should be honored that someone though enough of their bread to deign to spend the time hollowing it out and filling it with the food of love that is soup.  

So there....

tctenten said:
The customer is always right…right?   I just think it is completely a preference thing.   Look at what the boss is saying about bagels, he is providing what he feels is the right way to eat a fresh bagel.  I would have loved to know how those bakers felt was the right way to enjoy their bread.  Plain? With butter?  With a dipping oil?  Clearly soup wasn't what they wanted to see.  

It's not supposed to be that deep. And it's not about bread, as Grant related to his craft...

You guys are being way to literal lol. 

I toast too when I want.... !!!!! :D (Usually because I eat late and they are not hot oven-fresh.)

I eat them toasted always.  Period.
I will either buy them the way I like them or I will take my business elsewhere.

That goes not only for bakers and bagels....
I want what I want and when I want.  If you can't supply it I will go elsewhere. 
Pride doesn't pay your bills.

tctenten said:

Fuck no.

I make things for people that are technically wrong on a weekly basis.

I'm more in the Dr House camp ... the customer probably doesn't know WTF they are talking about and getting them what's right is my job, despite them.
#bagelgate was inevitable ...

I'm betting they were all actors and really didn't care what happened to the bread.
The point isn't lost on me however, to have something you spent time on, to make with the best of your abilities, only to be desecrated in front of you.
It's enough to make a man go native on a fool.
Maybe even toast his bagel

It's not really about bread, it's supposed to be funny and you should eat your bagel however you want LOL! That's just how I related as that is local to me. A video on chefs watching patrons add ketchup to steak would be just as funny. But the same exact concept. Not about the steak. 

^
Maybe that would have been funnier lol.

#thpversion

Let's do a burger and taco video where we film TB as we add lettuce to his creations and enjoy the hell out of them!!!

tb_smash_2.jpg
bunny_lettuce.jpg
lettuce_get_along.jpg

Back