• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

misc How do you create your recipes?

HellfireFarm

Business Member
Just curious how you go about coming up with recipes?

I see a lot of pretty great ideas here and I'm often left thinking "how did they even think of doing that?", so I'm wondering where you get your inspiration?

I visualize the end product flavor and reverse engineer in my head.

I usually just start in a general direction and see where it takes me.
For instance, maybe Iā€™ll have a handful of scotch bonnets and a couple peaches. Pretty easy pairing. I usually start with some sweated, maybe browned, onion snd garlic. Peaches make me think of nutmeg and cloves so I throw them into the sautĆ© with maybe some ginger. Now I need some acid. Cider vinegar will support the fruitiness, so will wine vinegar but in a different way. If I just want vinegar without a lot of flavor Iā€™ll use rice vinegar. Now citrus. Lime is too assertive in this case, lemon is nice and neutral, orange might work but I donā€™t want to use more than is needed to support the flavor that I already have going. I donā€™t want it to taste like oranges. For sugar, molasses or dark brown sugar will go with the sort of tropical feel or maybe Iā€™ll use something lighter if I just want to take the bite out of the acid.
Then itā€™s just tweaking and straining and adjusting.
There you have it - my stream of consciousness hot sauce recipe. I just pick a flavor, usually based on a particular chile and build on it.

Pretty much what Boss said.

I usually just start in a general direction and see where it takes me.
For instance, maybe Iā€™ll have a handful of scotch bonnets and a couple peaches. Pretty easy pairing. I usually start with some sweated, maybe browned, onion snd garlic. Peaches make me think of nutmeg and cloves so I throw them into the sautĆ© with maybe some ginger. Now I need some acid. Cider vinegar will support the fruitiness, so will wine vinegar but in a different way. If I just want vinegar without a lot of flavor Iā€™ll use rice vinegar. Now citrus. Lime is too assertive in this case, lemon is nice and neutral, orange might work but I donā€™t want to use more than is needed to support the flavor that I already have going. I donā€™t want it to taste like oranges. For sugar, molasses or dark brown sugar will go with the sort of tropical feel or maybe Iā€™ll use something lighter if I just want to take the bite out of the acid.
Then itā€™s just tweaking and straining and adjusting.
There you have it - my stream of consciousness hot sauce recipe. I just pick a flavor, usually based on a particular chile and build on it.
This is another method. It's the stream of consciousness method. You start with apple, you think cinnamon, then you think caramel, etc. You hop from flavor to flavor based on dishes (like apple pie).

After that Iā€™ll make another batch, hopefully correcting any mistakes, and actually writing down what I did. The third batch usually seals the deal.
Failures abound of course, but theyā€™re usually at least edible, and they can be worked into something later or Hail Mary fermented. This explains why the second refrigerator I got for curing charcuterie is now full of half finished hot sauce.
Whatever Iā€™m making, I almost always start with onion and garlic, vinegar and citrus, salt and sugar. I make the base, purĆ©e and strain it, and work from there.

Having very little idea what I'm doing in this area, I start with others' recipes and tinker with 'em until I like them.

There are different approaches how to start.

Is it to be the hottest sauce ever known to mankind?
Is it a beautiful mild orange/purple/green/yellow/blue??? colored sauce?
Edit- is it a beautifully colored hot as shit sauce? :lol:
Is it a copy cat of a commercially available sauce?
Is it to be a fruit specific flavor?
Is it to honor or highlight an ethnic heritage?
Is it using some garden surplus veggies and peppers at the end of the growing season for preservation of your hard work all summer?

Last edited:
Why is mild beautiful and hot isn't? šŸ˜…

Depends on if the focus is on mild and color or hot as shit, and you are right. A hot as shit beautifully colored sauce should be included in the options! :cool:

Make a basic sauce, taste it, see what it "needs." This is the best way to start. You may find a basic hab recipe, make it, and want less garlic. Or more salt. Or you may want it sweet, in which case you start experimenting with sugar, pineapple juice, or apples. Then carrots to thicken as well as flavor, and add color. Just start.

Personally, I start with a strong, minimal sauce (by weight):

60% whatever pepper, stemmed, halved, seeded, and roasted
20% white vinegar
17% water
3% salt

This gives me a good idea of the essential ā€œwhatever pepperā€ sauce flavor. After that, I embellish depending on the theme of the sauce, like ā€œisland styleā€, ā€œYucatĆ”n inspiredā€, or whatever.

Last edited:
Yeah a good base is everything. Especially in the commercial world.

From these comments I think my question is actually more like

"How do you decide what you want your sauce to taste like"?

Which is a VERY different question...

Are you having trouble coming up with ideas?

Yes and no?

I'm not even sure I want to do more than I'm doing. I have a handful of sauces that I make each harvest - enough to last until next year. But there's such a variety of sauces and types of sauces. Stuff with fruit, asian flavors, jamacian flavors, salsas, roasted, not roasted, vinegar, fermented, etc., and I love playing with recipes. Almost like there's too many ideas!

Back